Sponsored

The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Basically they botched the bed length. If your ONLY going to offer a full-sized set of back doors, at least have the decency to hang a 4' bed behind it.

Here's some ways they could fix it. Of if you aren't going to fix it, then just make a 3 row SUV out of it...

Personally I think my last two mods would have made most everyone happy, JLU-ish wheelbase, comfortable cab, and same size bed as a ZR2 or Taco

JP020_150GL.jpg
J_161GL.jpg
JLT.jpg
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Gallery-Exterior-Rubicon-Side-Profile-Driving.jpg.image.1440.jpg
cc_2020JET050011_03_640_PW7.jpg
Those last two remind me of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac :CWL::CWL:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
You mean just like your JLU looks now? Interesting...
A wrangler looks great in stock form even with just a TIRE change. The JT just looks like shit all around. JEEP couldn't even modify it to have rear doors that actually fit on it. Just lazy on their part and obviously a lot of thought didn't get put into its design.

I mean the Rear Fenders go from the Bed to the Cab for christ sakes.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A wrangler looks great in stock form even with just a TIRE change. The JT just looks like shit all around. JEEP couldn't even modify it to have rear doors that actually fit on it. Just lazy on their part and obviously a lot of thought didn't get put into its design.

I mean the Rear Fenders go from the Bed to the Cab for christ sakes.
I have to agree and disagree with you. Your being overly harsh, but we share some legit criticism. There's no valid reason Jeep couldn't have given the JT it's own back doors. They make sense on the JLU, they don't make sense on the JT. Give it real full size back doors, the room is there, why make owners struggle. The rear fender does not look right, mostly because of the door design.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Say whuh?
Chris, in the post in which I first asked for a comparison between the JT's rear seat and that of presumably the JLU, I was responding to @MotownJLU's prior post claiming the rear seat of the JT as inferior (to presumably the JLU.)

I simply wanted to know why @MotownJLU had this impression.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have to agree and disagree with you. Your being overly harsh, but we share some legit criticism. There's no valid reason Jeep couldn't have given the JT it's own back doors. They make sense on the JLU, they don't make sense on the JT. Give it real full size back doors, the room is there, why make owners struggle. The rear fender does not look right, mostly because of the door design.
Agreed. I wish the JT's lines looked my like the last two concept pictures in @ads75 post above https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iator-is-struggling.46237/page-8#post-1019426 not @Sorbs actual picture here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iator-is-struggling.46237/page-7#post-1019333

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
1DB73A21-583A-48E0-B9E9-943922A68027.jpeg
2F37CF6A-6B8D-4437-BBF8-FC117F719601.jpeg
7ED72956-D413-4FBD-984B-EA144CE9387E.jpeg
1DB73A21-583A-48E0-B9E9-943922A68027.jpeg
2F37CF6A-6B8D-4437-BBF8-FC117F719601.jpeg

Yeah, don’t get one. It sucks. LOL
Very nice sir! I'd still love to rock a 2dr JT, (over a JLU) but I think that would sway me to putting the 4dr JT just after the JL. Just love shortest wheelbase possible. But yours looks way proper!

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Basically they botched the bed length. If your ONLY going to offer a full-sized set of back doors, at least have the decency to hang a 4' bed behind it.

Here's some ways they could fix it. Of if you aren't going to fix it, then just make a 3 row SUV out of it...

Personally I think my last two mods would have made most everyone happy, JLU-ish wheelbase, comfortable cab, and same size bed as a ZR2 or Taco

JP020_150GL.jpg
J_161GL.jpg
JLT.jpg
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Gallery-Exterior-Rubicon-Side-Profile-Driving.jpg.image.1440.jpg
Those last two, with the 4 doors and short bed, wouldn't work because the wheel wells cut in to where the rear seats are. You'd either have stationary rear seats that don't fold and have no under sear storage and terrible leg room, or only be able to have 2 people in the back positioned between the wheels like in the back of a 2 door Wrangler.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Those last two, with the 4 doors and short bed, wouldn't work because the wheel wells cut in to where the rear seats are. You'd either have stationary rear seats that don't fold and have no under sear storage and terrible leg room, or only be able to have 2 people in the back positioned between the wheels like in the back of a 2 door Wrangler.
Um, that's exactly how it is on every JLU. Flip up seats would be cool but I can't say not having that is hurting JLU sales any...

Look closer and it's a JLU wheelbase with a worse departure angle. Passenger compartment would be unchanged from the Wrangler

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

JP020_150GL.jpg
J_161GL.jpg
JLT.jpg
These are great!

I actually wish they would have redesigned the front clip for the Gladiator. To me the Wrangler front looks wrong on something that long.

A revised XJ style would have been great on the gladiator, and would probably have been a better approach to solving the cooling issues. Plus it looks more truck-like.

Like this but Gladiator:
becc9985-87ff-410f-96f0-d73fa7ecd6a4-jpeg.jpg

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you're saying but I'd hate to have a F-350 sized pickup in an urban or forest environment. It's basically my Power Wagon argument. You feel like you're getting a lot more for your money in a full size truck vs a mid size. But with the JT compared to a F-350 or a Power Wagon the smaller size of the JT gives you the option to choose better lines on the trail. On Colorado trails (and the urban area of Denver/Boulder/Colorado Springs) trucks that size just don't make much sense unless you're towing loads that make them necessary. If I lived in say Nebraska things like the Power Wagon and the F-350 start becoming more usable off the road.
Exactly. A 2 door Jeep truck no matter when sold is a terrible idea. No one wants it. 30k units in the 70’s or 50k in the 2020.... I didn’t say all 2doors just Jeep 2 doors are a dumb idea, that’s why everyone else has much better sales.
no the dumb idea is you’re too stupid to realize the scrambler is the only one that was just like the wrangler. No one wanted it. Sure they bought 1979’s gladiator trucks but no one wanted a 2 door wrangler styled truck. Wow some people want to argue apples with it oranges. I guess mark Twain was right.
To the above quotes, I totally disagree and wonder how you come to believe your position. Honestly, you believe a JT is a good trail rig? There were bazillions of Ford Ranger, Toyota, Datsun, VW and Chevy S-10 two door pickups (what were referred to as quarter pounders) were sold and ran beyond 100,000 miles with a fuel economy far better than the full size pickups at the time. I would order a J6 today if they were introduced. 2-Door pickup, hell yes.

Yeah, I can relate to the quotes below. Jeep has offered a red headed step child to the market, in the JT, but no matter how slim a margin some will fit it. It lacks maneuverability in parking lots as well as around town, it is no where near to being a trail rig (the Wrangler 4-Doors are at the extreme end of meeting that criteria) the JT considerably short of that ability. The truth be told, I flat out roared with laughter when I saw a photo of the real JT being offered.

In the end, to each their own.

I live in Kingwood, a suburb of the Houston area. Wranglers are thick as mosquitos around here. Rarely do you see a Gladiator. They are considered a novelty. To be honest, they look like they just stuck a cheap ATV bed on the back of a Wrangler.
Also, Not as good at 4 wheeling as the Wranglers, and very sub par as a truck. Kind of the Honda Ridgeline of the Jeeps.
I still can’t get used to the look. If I look at as a JL, it’s “meh”. If I look at it as a mid size truck, it’s a little better. If I look at it lifted, bigger and nicer wheels, aggressive tires, doors off, top down, buzzing around the desert full of beautiful young women with hair flowing in the wind, then hell yeah. But then reality sets back in.....
If I want a truck, I'll buy a Raptor. I dont understand how Jeeps are great looking and Gladiators just aint !

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
I love the Gladiator if it's lifted with atleast 37's. But they serve no purpose for me that our JLUR can't do. It can't pull a single 5th wheel or Goosneck trailer that I have, nor my surf boat. I have my Superduty for that. They def are cool as shit when modded tho.
Sponsored