The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Oh and a two door model sounds good, looks even better, and performs even better offroad but not all that practical. I would however LOVE to see something in between like an extended cab so I can throw shit back there and recline/adjust the seats.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm sure they're giving all the execs a Gladiator to promote around that Oakland County, MI money! I liked the Gladiator until I sat in the backseat of my cousin's JT... definitely a step down from the Wrangler - although I didn't tell my cousin that! Obviously it's the exact same from the driver's seat and forward. He says "the ride" is better in the Gladiator (he did own a JK Rubi before). I've never driven a Gladiator, but I super happy with my JLU. It's fun as hell, and the only thing I'm giving up is the towing capacity, which could be better with a JLU in my opinion.
Would you mind talking to how (you felt) the backseat of the JT inferior to that of--presumably you meant the JLU?

Thanks.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure they're giving all the execs a Gladiator to promote around that Oakland County, MI money! I liked the Gladiator until I sat in the backseat of my cousin's JT... definitely a step down from the Wrangler - although I didn't tell my cousin that! Obviously it's the exact same from the driver's seat and forward. He says "the ride" is better in the Gladiator (he did own a JK Rubi before). I've never driven a Gladiator, but I super happy with my JLU. It's fun as hell, and the only thing I'm giving up is the towing capacity, which could be better with a JLU in my opinion.
After 10 years of owning Wranglers I bought a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. In the six months I owned it I learned some valuable lessons:
  1. Pickups, even midsize ones, are HUUGE compared to a Wrangler 4-door. Every time I drove to the shopping mall, the pickup required a 3-point turn whereas a Wrangler goes into the stall on the first attempt. Gladiator is roughly the same length as Tacoma.
  2. If you are carrying passengers don’t offer to stop at the supermarket. Unless your truck has a canopy —which I find totally dorky, you won’t have where to put your groceries! If you need to get on the freeway or it’s raining, like it does 80% of the time up here, you will have to ask your passengers to squeeze with the groceries back there.
I think Gladiators look cool. But having lived with a midsize pickup already, I won’t ever consider getting a Gladiator over a Wrangler.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Would you mind talking to how (you felt) the backseat of the JT inferior to that of--presumably you meant the JLU?

Thanks.
I sat in the back seat of Gladiator. I didn’t find it any more or less roomy than Wrangler’s. The only thing was having the rear glass so close to the back of my head felt weird. But that’d be true of any midsize pickup.
nc_oc=AQmVfmTZMQjg6YmCZXNdiQogZpwl5ayG8alzKhpvCA3nAXCnZwUikqpoQyWZKkPV-DU&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQnxAi-WAsST2bXkBVwD3lRzFJ5Ixs4ogpADtjrVH74S4WuSLtSyvXkEsQDN7TojvsY&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, here’s the original article on Auto News: https://www.autonews.com/sales/gladiators-tough-opponent-price

True, the article doesn’t say Gladiator is “struggling”, but it isn’t all that positive either. It reports that Gladiator sales have lost momentum, and dealers are now offering discounts of up to $9,000.

Considering the truck has been out for only 10 months, I doubt FCA views this as good news.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Basically they botched the bed length. If your ONLY going to offer a full-sized set of back doors, at least have the decency to hang a 4' bed behind it.

Here's some ways they could fix it. Of if you aren't going to fix it, then just make a 3 row SUV out of it...

Personally I think my last two mods would have made most everyone happy, JLU-ish wheelbase, comfortable cab, and same size bed as a ZR2 or Taco

JP020_150GL.jpg
J_161GL.jpg
JLT.jpg
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Gallery-Exterior-Rubicon-Side-Profile-Driving.jpg.image.1440.jpg
cc_2020JET050011_03_640_PW7.jpg

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban

Thanks.
I'm 6-foot tall and 230 lbs. I felt pretty cramped and uncomfortable in the backseat of my cousin's Gladiator compared to my JLU. I did think the storage under the seats was pretty sweet though!

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Basically they botched the bed length. If your ONLY going to offer a full-sized set of back doors, at least have the decency to hang a 4' bed behind it.

Here's some ways they could fix it. Of if you aren't going to fix it, then just make a 3 row SUV out of it...

Personally I think my last two mods would have made most everyone happy, JLU-ish wheelbase, comfortable cab, and same size bed as a ZR2 or Taco

JP020_150GL.jpg
J_161GL.jpg
JLT.jpg
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Gallery-Exterior-Rubicon-Side-Profile-Driving.jpg.image.1440.jpg
cc_2020JET050011_03_640_PW7.jpg
Those last two do look right! That's what I was expecting of a Jeep truck. Not the Frankenstein junkyard war creation they gave us. If it could tow 5000 lbs then I'd be happy.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Honestly I saw a SPORT Gladiator driving down the road and it looked like the ugliest midsize truck I've ever seen. It just looked so disproportionate. Small Tires, big ass fenders in front. It just doesn't look right. Jeep really faked up on the design by keeping everything but a bed the same as the wrangler. Its like putting human torso on a damn horse. Looks WRONG.

The only way these things look good is if you put 10 grand into it to lift and put 40's. Otherwise it looks like asshole.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Honestly I saw a SPORT Gladiator driving down the road and it looked like the ugliest midsize truck I've ever seen. It just looked so disproportionate. Small Tires, big ass fenders in front. It just doesn't look right. Jeep really faked up on the design by keeping everything but a bed the same as the wrangler. Its like putting human torso on a damn horse. Looks WRONG.

The only way these things look good is if you put 10 grand into it to lift and put 40's. Otherwise it looks like asshole.
You mean just like your JLU looks now? Interesting...
Sponsored