Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a bias but I believe the numbers are competitive with other mid sized trucks. I think there’s more argument to be had in comparing prices of other mid size trucks.
Whether a vehicle sells well or not depends mostly on the automaker’s internal expectations.

Apparently JT was launched under the guise that it’d be a niche truck, so it was priced accordingly. But dealers now report that that’s not enough anymore: FCA now wants JT to become a hot seller and beat Ford and Chevrolet.

Jeep has plenty of capacity to produce twice as many JTs as it is currently selling. No doubt that’s part of the pressure. But FCA doesn’t seem to understand the simple fact that the higher they price the truck, the harder it is to get the volumes they want.
Sponsored

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
I would absolutely buy this in a heartbeat, but I unfortunately don't see FCA ever making it a reality. Fingers crossed for a limited edition release maybe?

I'm holding out hope that some third party will make a 2 door conversion kit for the JT or JLU.
this is a very neat looking vehicle with 3 things that would make it a terrible idea for jeep to build. 1, no space behind the seats, basically you get miata levels of storage, 2, the bed is too small (like the gladiator) to be useful and 3, it would cost too much.

its is very cool looking though

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
this is a very neat looking vehicle with 3 things that would make it a terrible idea for jeep to build. 1, no space behind the seats, basically you get miata levels of storage, 2, the bed is too small (like the gladiator) to be useful and 3, it would cost too much.

its is very cool looking though
Couldn't fit a mtn bike or a buck in that bed...useless. the bed is useless especially at the price point.

Jeep dropped the ball by leaps and bounds on the Gladiator.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Whether a vehicle sells well or not depends mostly on the automaker’s internal expectations.

Apparently JT was launched under the guise that it’d be a niche truck, so it was priced accordingly. But dealers now report that that’s not enough anymore: FCA now wants JT to become a hot seller and beat Ford and Chevrolet.

Jeep has plenty of capacity to produce twice as many JTs as it is currently selling. No doubt that’s part of the pressure. But FCA doesn’t seem to understand the simple fact that the higher they price the truck, the harder it is to get the volumes they want.
Exactly. If it's a niche truck Jeep should commit and make a 2 door Gladiator for the die hard Jeep enthusiasts and go full niche. If you want a practical family Jeep get a Compass or Grand Cherokee.

They have the plant capacity to add a 2 door to the Gladiator line. Plus, have you seen how much Comanches and Scramblers still sell for? Neither were very popular at the time of release, but I guarantee if Jeep makes a 2 door Gladiator (even if they don't sell well now) they'll be looked at as collectors items in a few years and all the nay-sayers now will be looking to add one to their collection.

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I had a JK and couldn't wait to trade for a JT when it came out.

Then the Fiat Exec made a statement something along the lines of; we are going to price these excessively because we realize Jeep enthusiasts will pay more.

Obviously that is not exactly the statement, but that is definitely the thought he was conveying.

So I purchased my first JLnew and now my second used.

The first would definitely have been a JT if not for the arrogance expressed by the comment.

Which worked out well for me in the long run as two good friends purchased JT's and both regret not waiting and getting a better deal on JL's.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
If I want a truck, I'll buy a Raptor. I dont understand how Jeeps are great looking and Gladiators just aint !
I don't want a big truck and don't like the Ranger or Colorado. I wasn't impressed with the pictures of Gladiators, but like how they look in person.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I don't want a big truck and don't like the Ranger or Colorado. I wasn't impressed with the pictures of Gladiators, but like how they look in person.
Like they way they look...with or without wearing beer goggles on?

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I'm sure they're giving all the execs a Gladiator to promote around that Oakland County, MI money! I liked the Gladiator until I sat in the backseat of my cousin's JT... definitely a step down from the Wrangler - although I didn't tell my cousin that! Obviously it's the exact same from the driver's seat and forward. He says "the ride" is better in the Gladiator (he did own a JK Rubi before). I've never driven a Gladiator, but I super happy with my JLU. It's fun as hell, and the only thing I'm giving up is the towing capacity, which could be better with a JLU in my opinion.
There definitely seems to be less rear leg room in the Gladiator vs the Wrangler. I noticed that right away. There is zero room to put things inside the cab as well if you're using the back seat (i.e. kids or dog etc). I think they look cool with bigger tires on them, but I like the Wrangler more, which is why I picked up one of those instead.

I'm really enjoying my Wrangler as well. Very fun vehicle to drive, great in the snow so far, plenty of room in the back seat for my kids, plenty of room in the back for carrying stuff (luggage, groceries, car/dirtbike parts, etc), plus they look cool too. Very happy with it!

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
For overlanding, and Mild to Medium difficulty trails, I don’t know that the new Mojave wouldn’t be just a bit better than a Rubicon. Plus the strengthening up front and higher ratio transfer case sound like it’ll be a great all around Jeep for that purpose. That’s something I’d consider. I wonder what a modern topper would look like on it. We’re used to lots of covered storage.

Either that or a Recon for a second Jeep.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I am new to Jeep having just bought my first ever, a new discounted 2019 JL last month. One of my town's local craft beer brewers has an Orange JT Rubicon in stock form and I think it looks great. I would have went with a JT but for cost and its too long to easily fit in my garage without kissing the wall. But then I'm a convert truck freak. Been driving a 1981 Toyota SR5 convertible mini beach truck since 1993 that my son and I converted as my primary ride when roads are snow free. The JT would have been a great 4 season and vacationing upgrade to what I love driving just locally now. I can see why the JT isn't for everyone visually and functionally. I think Jeep overshot the market. The dealer I bought my JL 2 door from has a lot of JTs sitting there and most appear to be top optioned and high $$.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
4 door with 60 inch bed is by far the most popular midsize truck on the market. Compared to the competition it's turning radius is on par and the break over is only slightly worse (but much better than the Ridgeline). Now I'll agree that Jeep should be leading the way with a high breakover angle on their midsize truck, but what they have is not completely terrible when compared to what it should be competing with. It's not what I want for offroading, but I'm the guy who also says that the JLU has terrible breakover angle over 22.6 compared to the JL 27.8. But people buy and offroad the 4runner with it's 19.6 breakover angle so Gladiator's 20.3 should be acceptable for a lot of people.

Why would you compare midsize pickups to full sized pickups? They are simply not engineered to compete with each other. Most of the market agreed with you some time ago, and most manufacturers left the segment. But somewhat recently those manufacturers decided that there is enough room in the segment to compete with the Tacoma and the Frontier, now here we are. We have the Colorado/Canyon, Taco, Ranger, and Frontier competing for the typical midsize pickup segment. Then we have Honda's Ridgeline going for those who need the occasional pickup and only drive on the street, and the Gladiator trying to cut out a niche as the fun/lifestyle/offroad option. Is there enough room in the market for these? I'm not so sure. Like you, I look at the price tags and think I could get a full size (or in the case of the Gladiator Rubicon, a 3/4 ton) pickup with more capability for the same price. However; I also live in an urban environment and I hated driving my 1500 around in that. A midsize probably makes more sense for those who live in the city and won't be towing on a regular basis.

As for the FWD comment, what's wrong with that? How is a FWD/AWD pickup demonstrably worse in a midsize truck that is going to always be on the road and not towing? Just because something has always been done a certain way does not mean it is always the best way. In very general terms I'm a consumer, and having many different options is always a win for the consumer. I don't understand why Monster Energy Bros with bro-dozers have issues with the Ridgeline. There is (presumably) a market for that and someone is going to pursue it. Would you rather the full size trucks get even more street/urban oriented to try to meet that market as well or just let Honda do their thing?
You deserve a Ridgeline.
Did you also like the Pontiac Aztec??
Do you think the Mustang II was a good sport car?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
While I think the JT is hard to look at in the beginning, it grows on you. Set up right they look down right SWEET.

But reading all the posts tells me some are missing the point of the vehicle. Yeah the price is pretty high BUT how many of us also have a pickup in addition to our TJ, JK, JLs? Unless one needs the super towing and super power of a full size pickup the JT will do some basic carrying and towing chores pretty easily for 90% of us.

I have a full size f150 SCREW and use it mostly for my dirt bike and trips to home depot. I for sure dont need all that truck. A JT set up nice will go places my f150 couldnt ever see. Granted it wont be as nimble as a JL but it doesnt have to be either. It'll do quite well out in the field and we have already seen evidence of that.

I wish the JT would fit in my garage. I would probably maybe likely have one instead of my JL MAYBE... One vehicle doing it all would be pretty darn cool and no other pickup can do what it does.

Thinking a used one a few years down the road will be in my future.
Sponsored