Sponsored

The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It should have come out when the JL(U) came out. I think a lot of potential LT owners bought JLUs instead. Whether they gave up waiting or didn't know it was coming out.
Sponsored

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Jeep use to sell all types of 2dr 4x4's with a bed. Now, only a JT 4 dr., that's the dumb idea.
no the dumb idea is you’re too stupid to realize the scrambler is the only one that was just like the wrangler. No one wanted it. Sure they bought 1979’s gladiator trucks but no one wanted a 2 door wrangler styled truck. Wow some people want to argue apples with it oranges. I guess mark Twain was right.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
no the dumb idea is you’re too stupid to realize the scrambler is the only one that was just like the wrangler. No one wanted it. Sure they bought 1979’s gladiator trucks but no one wanted a 2 door wrangler styled truck. Wow some people want to argue apples with it oranges. I guess mark Twain was right.
Whatever you're eating, it isn't Brain Food. Pretty surly, clueless response, especially for a relative newcomer.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Without the larger tires and aftermarket wheels many go to, they do tend to look odd.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I too see a lot of Wrangler owners trading in for a Gladiator.

The fact is FCA opened a brand-new plant with the capacity to build 300,000 Wranglers/year; meanwhile, it’s been selling about 225,000 units/year. That’s a lot of under-utilized capacity. Then FCA added another 200,000 units in plant capacity when it launched Gladiator. So between the two, FCA is sitting on a combined production capacity of 500,000 units; it is struggling to sell 300,000 JLs and JTs.

IMO, there was a lot of wishful thinking that went into this whole thing. FCA saw the fat margins it was getting from capacity-constrained JK and assumed that Wrangler —and by extension JT— were above the laws of supply and demand. So it got greedy and has been driving prices to insane levels.

What gets me personally is that as much as I love my JL, despite these obscene prices FCA has completely neglected to address the quality and customer service issues that have plagued Jeeps for years. I’ve been buying Chryslers and Jeeps for 30+ years: the dealer treatment I receive these days is way inferior to what I got in the past.

The addition of Mojave and “Desert Rated” is a big deal: it expands the Jeep brand beyond the rock crawling space where it’s been stuck for 15 years. Still, I don’t see even that making up for the 200,000 additional units JL+JT need to sell to utilize existing capacity.

Last edited:

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I too see a lot of Wrangler owners trading in for a Gladiator.

The fact is FCA opened a brand-new plant with the capacity to build 300,000 Wranglers/year; meanwhile, it’s been selling about 225,000 units/year. That’s a lot of under-utilized capacity. Then FCA added another 200,000 units in plant capacity when it launched Gladiator. So between the two, FCA is sitting on a combined production capacity of 500,000 units; it is struggling to sell 300,000 JLs and JTs.

IMO, there was a lot of wishful thinking that went into this whole thing. FCA saw the fat margins it was getting from capacity-constrained JK and assumed that Wrangler —and by extension JT— were above the laws of supply and demand. So it got greedy and has been driving prices to insane levels.

What gets me personally is that as much as I love my JL, despite these obscene prices FCA has completely neglected to address the quality and customer service issues that have plagued Jeeps for years. I’ve been buying Chryslers and Jeeps for 30+ years: the dealer treatment I receive these days is way inferior to what I got in the past.

The addition of Mojave and “Desert Rated” is a big deal: it expands the Jeep brand beyond the rock crawling space where it’s been stuck for 15 years. Still, I don’t see even that making up for the 200,000 additional units JL+JT need to sell to utilize existing capacity.
Lol where?? Put the pipe down

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
this has me curious... what truck feature of the gladiator is sub par compared to other mid-size pickups?

The 60 inch bed length seems to be the most popular length in midsize trucks Ridgeline is slightly longer at 64 inches

Payload the Ranger wins with something like 1800 lbs, but Gladitor is in second at 1600 lbs, lowest is the Taco at 1420. Ridgeline is midpack at 1465.

Towing the Canyon/Colorado twins come in at 7700 lbs compared to the Gladiators 7650 lbs. Ridgeline brings up the rear at 5000, well behind the Taco's second to last place at 6000.

Seems to me that as a pickup the Gladiator is right there with its competition in every pickup truck category. What am I missing?

I should say I'm a fan of the Ridgeline as well. I don't know that I'd ever buy one but I see the appeal of awd, comfortable ride, and usable sized bed. Not many people are towing with midsize trucks so I don't think the towing capacity matters much. The lockable trunk would be a handy feature (I'm a fan of the rambox for the same reason). As long as you don't go off the road with it or need to tow heavy loads I don't see why the Ridgeline gets all the hate. My theory is that most of the hate comes from Monster Energy Dudes in their jacked up bro dozers.
What you are liking is mini trucks. Anything considered a real truck starts at the Chevy/GMC 1500, Ford F150, and Dodge 1500. A truck needs to haul more than groceries, or soccer balls. The Ridgeline is a front wheel drive truck. Need i say more??

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
gladiators are very slow showing up in my area. i waited for jeep to come out with the truck and i had mix feelings at first. the sport was ok looking, depending on the color of it. the rubicon is the best looking. but still the overall design kinda throwing me off. the other thing is the price. its high even on the base model which would be the way i'd go. the rubicon is nice, but not paying $60k for one. i do wish that jeep came out with a 2 door version of the truck like the j12 or j8. so for now i'm happy with my jl.

Sponsored

sporlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I don't care much for the Gladiator. If you want a Jeep which can just haul more gear and be heavier, I guess it makes sense. Its NOT a truck nor is it meant to tow anything of real weight.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t have a bias but I believe the numbers/specs are competitive with other mid sized trucks. I think there’s more argument to be had in comparing prices of other mid size trucks.
I don't care much for the Gladiator. If you want a Jeep which can just haul more gear and be heavier, I guess it makes sense. Its NOT a truck nor is it meant to tow anything of real weight.

Last edited:

atamagashock

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I see more and more gladiators popping up everyday around me. So that’s surprising to hear. But the JTR is very expensive for the size truck it is. I don’t think people looking for a truck would buy it, because it’s as expensive as a 2500, but the size of a Tacoma. I think the only people buying are Jeep people. I’d bet 70% of JT buyers are Jeep enthusiasts. Also the JTR should be the same price as a JLUR. The extra 6k or whatever it is...is ridiculous

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I agree with a previous statement, about a 2 door model might look better.
Sponsored