The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It IS gutless below 3k rpm. Up and down mt's here in CO I have to wring it out from 4-5k to maintain speed. 8-10k ft altitude doesn't help but the manual trans does!

Advertisement

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Too much wheelbase, too much money, not enough truck

A 2 row SUV is only expected to haul five passengers and a little bit of gear. Maybe tow a small trailer. The Wrangler dominates in being able to accomplish it's goals anywhere better than anything this side of an M1 tank. Removable top and doors is icing on the cake

A truck is supposed to do much much more. The Gladiator doesn't excel at doing anything truck-y. It doesn't excel off-road in stock form like the ZR2 due to excessive wheelbase and relatively low horsepower. And to nail shut the coffin, they priced it like a Baja-ready superduty
To be fair, the Tacoma isn't very good at trucky things either. It doesn't tow very well, it has a very weak engine/transmission combo, its payload is lower than that of Ridgeline by a long shot. (4 door to 4 door 4x4), yet it destroys everything in its class in sales year over year.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Mojito Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Here we go again. I'm sorry you guys just can't handle something different. People aren't buying JT's to haul fucking 5th wheel campers and 20' trailers loaded down with side by sides or cattle. People are buying the JT for kayaks, bikes, small trailers, smaller campers and just because THEY FUCKING LIKE IT! What is it with people on this forum and hating things that 1. aren't a Rubicon 2. aren't what they think is cool.
Wrapped a little tight are we? Lots of options in the price range that offer far more flexibility in usage. Seen a few on the streets none on trails or towing in my area. Watched some commercials being shot in Southern Utah in some dirt ;)

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To be fair, the Tacoma isn't very good at trucky things either. It doesn't tow very well, it has a very weak engine/transmission combo, its payload is lower than that of Ridgeline by a long shot. (4 door to 4 door 4x4), yet it destroys everything in its class in sales year over year.
Taco has the right proportions. Short bed, aggressive approach angle, capable looking flares and fenders. They made the most basic 2wd look off-road ready.

Sales reflect the wisdom of their decisions. Personally I hate them and I despise the driving position. But they sell. Jeep made the Gladiator "look" too long and awkward

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Again, the buying public may not put 37s on or go off road or take doors off or tops but they like the idea that you can. Same thing for people who buy sports cars. They aren't going to go 200mph or verify g-forces, they just know they have a vehicle that can do it. \
This is exactly why I got the JT and why most people get Wranglers. They want the potential, not the reality. The vast majority of Jeep Wrangler owners here (and probably in other parts of the country) won't even upgrade tires, let alone put on larger ones, lifts, etc. They may BUY one pre-made like that from a dealership, but they won't ever use the equipment/upgrades. Same thing with the vast majority of truck buyers. So for the JT, it's people wanting into both worlds. The possibility of having use for the truck bed. The possibility of going out on a trail. Even if they will never actually do it.

NCIC105

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So, I sell CDJR, Chevy, and GMC products. I can tell you the mid-size truck market is struggling in all brands. With the rebates and discounts on full-size trucks. You can buy a fullsize crew/cab truck for the same or less than a mid-size one. The little trucks very rarely have any rebate on them, and when they do it's not very much. Fullsize trucks are a way better deal.
Until you try to put it on a forest service rd. Unless you like tree designed pin striping on new paint.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Until you try to put it on a forest service rd. Unless you like tree designed pin striping on new paint.
I agree with that. Small trucks have a place in the market. For the Mall crawler trucks. Fullsize are a better deal though.

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
By that logic a side-by-side should work better, right? I mean they have 1/2ton payload capability. Lack volume though.

sourdough

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR dingy, Ram3500 diesel 4x4 Tiger RV
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
union sheet metal worker (retired 2008)
Vehicle Showcase
I read somewhere, FCA has a backup plan for it's over inventory of 4 doors. They will have Uncle Sam buy all their unsold units. I can see their thought , all them long 4 doors, standing on end, side by side, what a beautiful border wall.:jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk:
:flag:Money well spent IMHO

image.png

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I can’t believe I read all these posts,
First of all, I can tell none of you bashing the Gladiator owns one. If you did you wouldn’t be saying the things you are. The truck is awesome and will out perform any Truck that was mentioned in this thread.
Who doesn’t upgrade a Jeep? Jeep knows that, so they put small cheap ass tires on them.
You can spend $110 on a leveling kit and fit 37” tires on the JT.

I also own a JK and love it but the storage in the back is a joke, same for the JL.
Although some think the bed is to small but it is not a full size truck and fits a heck of allot more than the JK or JL. Put a shell on the JT and it’s like an extended JK or JL but much better with the rear suspension.
The longer wheel base On my JT makes for a better and more stable ride. I have gone on most all the trails in AZ and really don’t see much of a difference compared to my JK other than the JT has a better ride.
Both scrape on bigger rocks, that’s why they make skid plates, not to hit curbs at the mall.

The JT is a Jeep and some on here are Jeep haters and it is like saying your baby is ugly

Last edited:

candelz

First Name
Candelz
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I can’t believe I read all these posts,
First of all, I can tell none of you bashing the Gladiator owns one. If you did you wouldn’t be saying the things you are. The truck is awesome and will out perform any Truck that was mentioned in this thread.
Who doesn’t upgrade a Jeep? Jeep knows that, so they put small cheap ass tires on them.
You can spend $110 on a leveling kit and fit 37” tires on the JT.

I also own a JK and love it but the storage in the back is a joke, same for the JL.
Although some think the bed is to small but it is not a full size truck and fits a heck of allot more than the JK or JL. Put a shell on the JT and it’s like an extended JK or JL but much better with the rear suspension.
The longer wheel base On my JT makes for a better and more stable ride. I have gone on most all the trails in AZ and really don’t see much of a difference compared to my JK other than the JT has a better ride.
Both scrape on bigger rocks, that’s why they make skid plates, not to hit curbs at the mall.

The JT is a Jeep and some on here are Jeep haters and it is like saying your baby is ugly

A leveling kit....and 37s.? Nahhhhhh im good.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JlU Sahara
Occupation
Truck Driver
All I know is I want one, if I had waited two weeks I would have bought one now I have to wait till 2022

Teghogh

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Gladiator sport is ugly in stock form.
My sport jlu was very ugly the day I got it as well.
Wrangler are way overpriced for what they are and so are the gladiators. Every argument against the gladiator can be easily made against a wrangler if you think rationally.

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Here we go again. I'm sorry you guys just can't handle something different. People aren't buying JT's to haul fucking 5th wheel campers and 20' trailers loaded down with side by sides or cattle. People are buying the JT for kayaks, bikes, small trailers, smaller campers and just because THEY FUCKING LIKE IT! What is it with people on this forum and hating things that 1. aren't a Rubicon 2. aren't what they think is cool.
True but far fewer people are buying it because what you pointed out is the jt has a very limited market and it won’t last because it won’t bring in enough revenue to have a second Redesigned model

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I read somewhere, FCA has a backup plan for it's over inventory of 4 doors. They will have Uncle Sam buy all their unsold units. I can see their thought , all them long 4 doors, standing on end, side by side, what a beautiful border wall.:jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk:
:flag:Money well spent IMHO

image.png
I hear they are leaving the keys in them l as well so they can be as effective as the currently planned border wall... probably much cheaper than what’s proposed and just as effective...did I mention how effective a wall is in today’s modern times ... did you hear about the Great Wall keeping the Mongolians out???? Yeah me neither

Advertisement

Done Right LED

Advertisement