2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Lawyer
  2. cbrenthus

cbrenthus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '19 Mojito JLUR
    Liked:
    Jalopnik is the national enquirer of the automotive world, Every February the news comes out the convertibles have dipped in sales, and every summer they make it up. Granted, the JL and JT ARE overpriced, and there is probably a bit more inventory than truly needed, but I don't think there is reason for concern.

ButWhatDoIKnow, cjaama, ALRUI and 4 others like this.
  3. Wrangler847

Wrangler847 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    wrangler
    Liked:
    I hated the gladiator until i saw it lifted on 37s .. I'm in love now but I don't think I could afford the Rubicon.

TroyBoy, Pattyolc, Upnarms and 10 others like this.
  4. ricku

ricku Well-Known Member

Liked:
    When they launched the Gladiator they used the most expensive models. Approaching $60,000 !!
    That certainly didn't help. Now they are trying to play 'catch up'.

5. MrMischief

MrMischief Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    #5 Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    I think the dealer is certainly right about Gladiator stealing Wrangler customers. I know several Jeep guys who traded JKUs for Gladiators. I think they would have gone for JLUs if the Gladiator wasn't on the market. I am not certain that Gladiator has expanded the Jeep family. It would have been unreasonable to think the JT can do for Jeep what the JKU did, but I'm not certain that the JT expanded the customer base by any significant amount.

With all that said, I'm half kicking around the idea of trading my JL for a JT. Basically I have an evolving role that I didn't foresee. All my former offroad buddies who got rid of Jeeps over the years said they were buying JLs or JLUs. One did, then traded it for a Tesla, another hasn't budged, and the main leader of the group bought a ZR2 Bison instead. Now I'm noticing the discussion shifting from offroading to camping (sorry, "overlanding"). While I can throw my hammock and gear in the JL just fine, the extra room of a pickup would certainly be nice. I really struggle with the JT though. It seems to me that it has almost the exact same capabilities as the Power Wagon for the same price. the JT is a bit smaller (could be a positive or a negative depending on your point of view), and a convertible. The Power Wagon just feels like you're getting more for your money.

MileHigh, SKT, aldo98229 and 4 others like this.
  6. captainstabbins

captainstabbins Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Sahara
    Liked:
    I chose the JL over the JT. Just couldn't wrap my head around the 5 foot bed that is 18 inches deep. The bed is IMO not really useful to haul anything of value...

7. BigGreen

BigGreen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Sport
    Liked:
    Better payload with the Power Wagon as well.

8. jellis4148

jellis4148 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    So, I sell CDJR, Chevy, and GMC products. I can tell you the mid-size truck market is struggling in all brands. With the rebates and discounts on full-size trucks. You can buy a fullsize crew/cab truck for the same or less than a mid-size one. The little trucks very rarely have any rebate on them, and when they do it's not very much. Fullsize trucks are a way better deal.

photowiz, Mugzzzee, desync0 and 6 others like this.
  9. cosmokenney

cosmokenney Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Cosmo
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JL Wrangler
    Liked:
    It doesn't help the appeal that all the YouTube Jeep channels are buying them and turning them in to overlanders with ugly graphics and thousands of dollars of aftermarket add-ons.
    And I think most people buy a pickup truck for utility. Jeep would sell more of them by showing people using them to haul dirt bikes and kayaks and piles of mulch and towing boats...
    But instead they bring in Bill Murray to do a groundhog day remake...

HardSell, Mugzzzee, jack0351 and 2 others like this.
  10. KnG818

KnG818 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    18 Rubicon
    Liked:
    No, its def struggling...just lift your head up and look around guy

11. TXRubicon

TXRubicon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '18 Porsche 718 Cayman
    Liked:
  12. RobTrachtman

RobTrachtman Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    19 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Liked:

Hi,

I agree, sales of the Gladiator are not as brisk as Toyota Tacoma for sure, but it is much more of a niche vehicle and working at the dealership level at Jeep for 28 years, Its more important to have the loyal fan base then volume sometimes.. Toyota makes a great truck (segment leader) but it doesn't have the flavor that a Jeep has.. Lets keep Jeep exclusive for us offroaders!

By the way I am still receiving orders for 5 percent under invoice on on JL's and Jt's here at my store.

13. cdahl383

cdahl383 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
    Liked:
    The Gladiator is pretty cool IMO. The Rubicons look best, they need big tires to look good. There's definitely a market for them. I see tons of them on the road by me, but I'm close to Auburn Hills haha!

14. Strommen95

Strommen95 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mojito Sport S JLU
    Liked:
    The JL and JT have been selling just fine. More than I would've expected in fact. The real issue is FCA has overproduced both the JL and JT and options are way too bloated price wise. If they were on a 5 day factory production like they used to be with JKs there wouldn't be many Jeeps on the lots. They need to cut production.

15. Kyanche

Kyanche Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Having seen a bunch in person, I actually think they look fantastic in sport trim. It's one of the first more reasonably shaped/sized pickups I've seen since the Ford Ranger lol. Everything seems to want to be a tonka truck! The GM monstrosities in particular look kinda ridiculous.

If I were chasing styling perfection I would've made the back window a little smaller. I'm sure they did it for visibility reasons, but.. yeah the giant back window on the hardtop makes the rear look kinda funny.

Stepping back a bit, I think FCA got too greedy and priced the JL/JT too high. I mean that's pretty obvious lol.

ButWhatDoIKnow likes this.