The Irony of ESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I see no difference in MPG with ESS on or off. It is a nuisance and nothing more.
Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

So having read through this entire thread about the ESS and evil government overreach complaining and such, it seems to me a simple solution, either don't buy a vehicle with ESS or just hit the off switch before you drive away.

Everybody can relax about the black helicopters coming for you. The govt is doing the best it can to minimize harmful auto emissions and wasting of gas. It's not easy in America where the population is by default conspiracy minded, afraid of change, and sadly just plain ignorant.

Here's a fun fact. There is about 50 years worth of oil left in the ground at current consumption rates. So by roughly 2071, everyone on the planet will have to figure out some other fuel source. A little bit of conservation now buys us all some time. Just imagine if everyone's vehicle had ESS and shut down instead of idling at long stop lights, in traffic, etc. Multiplied by the millions upon millions of cars on the road every day, that would really be something in terms of limiting emissions and saving fuel.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So having read through this entire thread about the ESS and evil government overreach complaining and such, it seems to me a simple solution, either don't buy a vehicle with ESS or just hit the off switch before you drive away.

Everybody can relax about the black helicopters coming for you. The govt is doing the best it can to minimize harmful auto emissions and wasting of gas. It's not easy in America where the population is by default conspiracy minded, afraid of change, and sadly just plain ignorant.

Here's a fun fact. There is about 50 years worth of oil left in the ground at current consumption rates. So by roughly 2071, everyone on the planet will have to figure out some other fuel source. A little bit of conservation now buys us all some time. Just imagine if everyone's vehicle had ESS and shut down instead of idling at long stop lights, in traffic, etc. Multiplied by the millions upon millions of cars on the road every day, that would really be something in terms of limiting emissions and saving fuel.
Hmm..I don't think government is evil about ESS. I think well intentioned policy that only seeks to test a vehicle's MPG upon inception to determine how well CAFE standards are achieved, but ignores the ability in the real world for that ESS system to not engage, which seems more than common in the JL, needs to be changed.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I see no difference in MPG with ESS on or off. It is a nuisance and nothing more.
I respect that. I believe you. And others that do achieve a difference only find it small. It's what adds up in the aggregate across all ESS vehicles that matters more.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Andy,

Yes, most of this discussion relies, no depends, on informed and empathetic consumer participation. That very well may be the issue. I was certainly tongue-in-cheek about the IQ of the average consumer. I do concur most wholeheartedly that they are indeed smart, just uncaring to anything but their own selfish interests.

I recall growing up where most people were both curtious and polite. It was the rule rather than the exception. Now, if you do anything as simple as enabling your turn signal you'll likely be met with a middle finger, that is if they don't speed up and prevent you a safe lane change. How dare you try and get in front of them? Even though there are thousands in front of them already in their never ending race to get to where their ultimately going.

Society as a whole has gotten a lot less friendly and/or cordial. Sorry but in my heart I blame 'progressivism' with all it's identity politics. There now isn't any group which hasn't been categorized into some sort of victimized tribe (race, class, religion, gender, political thought, medical condition, education, hair color, location, weight, tenure, home ownership, musical preference, career, vehicle ownership, even merely having opposing opinions, etc., etc., etc.). Pick your most favorite category. Maybe more than one. Maybe several if not all? In order to grow towards true inclusiveness shouldn't there be zero of these groupings.

It's very much now like Dr. Suess' "Stars upon Thars". Where some particular group is the most desirable fad to be associated with. The lemmings are all running around trying to change their star to the dujour group of the day. We both know which group most currently 'matters' most. Why?

Haven't 'we' made great strides over time to improve civil rights in general? But unfortunately for many it will never be enough, even if perfection is eventually acheived. Not to defend people with true hate in their hearts, human nature unfortunately will never be perfect. In fact in my opinion some civil rights activists are even now more oppressive and bigoted than some ancestors that they blame.

The collective 'we' no longer either resemble or approve any of the injustices of the past. Yet 'we' are all still blamed by the people with the stars who matter more than anyone else. I would rather think that 'we' are being exploited for political gain rather than the divisions they are fostering and the systemic conditions that they so easily condone. Inclusiveness be damned. Yes there is always (always) room for improvement. But the non-stop barage of never ending accusations of racism is about the most racist crap being extolled. Can we find a way to share and promote our successes and learn to work together in bringing about diversity and inclusivity?

So yes, I totally understand your belief in everyone's selfishness. I believe we've been subtly conditioned, taught or even indoctrinated to be this way. It has happened coincidentally with all these latest progressive agendas. I'm personally not saying any of these social changes are bad, I'm just pointing out how much irreverence towards others is certainly now the new 'norm'. Again why? Shouldn't these social changes bring about less selfishness.

In the big picture of things isn't this even more ironic?

Jay
Indeed the world is getting more selfish Jay. So much so is this the case that mental health experts have had to revise the standards of what constitutes NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder--i.e. self love gone haywire) to higher thresholds lest too many people meet the criterion that wouldn't have 20 years ago. It might suggest that effective policy needs to better align people's self interest with the actions they take which affect others.

As for cause, I'm more inclined to blame the internet and the separation of one's internet personality from their real one. The ability to impress a wider audience has, I believe, led in part to people being more materialistic.

We have indeed made enormous civil rights progress as you say. But IMHO by no means are we there yet, and what remains is much harder to tease out. That said, like you I have also contemplated the criterion for when programs that favor certain groups should end, as favoring one group, even if justified based on a history of discrimination and for the purposes of getting closer to a level playing field for all, by definition can disenfranchise those not in that class, many of whom never showed such animus towards the disenfranchised group, and/or are not responsible for the "sins of their father."

And yes, there are fine activists who seek collaboration, and some not so fine ones who seek to over- or mis-assign blame at the expense of not emphasizing enough the power of self-determination in determining the fate of their minions, despite barriers.

Like you, I too seek to send out message to the disenfranchised that you should be treated equally, not special, so as to dissuade selfishness.

I might also add, switching back to ESS, that as much as some people struggle to get by with gas prices where they are, very good arguments can made that those prices are too low, not factoring in enough the environmental harm they cause. Those who don't want to pay that surcharge, independent of any of the social attributes that defines them, consistent with your prior post, might be thought of as selfish too.

All this stuff is an enormously imprecise balancing act of policies, written by imperfect humans, that will seek to approach but never reach utopia, but that can nonetheless be improved over time.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's yet another example of government overreach with good intentions and bad outcomes. If it weren't there, we'd not have the silly and overcomplicated 2 battery system. Think of all the unecessary engineering that was wasted on this effort, from the 2 batteries to the heavy duty starter to the special coatings on engine parts to protect them from the increased wear of all that starting/stopping.

I guess the good that comes from it is that I'll probably never have to replace a starter and maybe those coatings will take the longevity of these PUG Pentastars to a whole new level when ESS is not used.

I've had zero trouble with my battery system after almost 3 years and 40k miles. But I've mostly not used the ESS system, thanks to Tazer JL.

When my batteries go, I'm replacing the small one with the best equivalent AGM battery I can find and the big one with a Northstar or Odyssey pure lead AGM. But mine appears to be going strong. It'll be interesting to see how long they go before one or both craps out.

The greatest monument of all to this kind of government overreach is the gas can. Have you tried to use one of the newer approved gas cans? They are absolutely ridiculous and hazardous in their own way. But hey, if it saves one life......

A little of topic from the original post, but I bought this gas can and freaking love it.

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-145...s+can&qid=1606743039&sprefix=no+spill+&sr=8-3

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Many Jeepers spend hundreds of dollars to permanently defeat the ESS system. How does this then help with the objectives the bureaucrats attempted to accomplish?
For every one person that defeats the feature there are thousands who do not. This forum represents a tiny minority of the ~250,000 wranglers sold a year.

Also add to that all the other cars sold per annum and a tiny fuel saving adds up.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I think it should be this....

Jeep Wrangler JL The Irony of ESS 1606748912800

Most of those Jeeps have remote start. So they sit and idle to warm up in the winter and cool off in the summer. Then we use ESS to save a nearly immeasurable amount of fuel? Oh yeah, let's not forget the drive through windows at fast food joints and Starbucks, which have increased with Covid mandates.

You know, when we try to simplify things in our minds by convincing ourselves that those who think different from us are just ignorant, stupid, or resistant to change, we might wake up and discover that the wise have unknowingly become the fools. Happens to all of us from time to time.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.