multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I like the looks of the painted flares on my salting Gray JLUR Mine came with clear film on the front of the rear flairs. The only places that show scratches is in the black parts of the fenders... the paint all looks good.

20200118_150242.jpg

I'm not sure where the idea of the black fenders was an Iconic look came from. CJs and YJs had painted fenders with a small black flare. TJs still had pInted fenders but with a larger black flare. Jks were the first to go all black fenders but you could still get painted fenders.
Nice Jeep! And yeah I came here to say the same thing. When the JK came out one of the many, many things I hated about it were the acres of black plastic. Miles and miles of black plastic. It reminded me of the Chevy Avalanche and to this day I think it’s ugly compared to the tasteful balance of painted and plastic of the TJ and now the JL. And even with painted fenders, they still botched the JK by not having that good balance. JKs with painted fenders have too much unbroken body color. And then to add insult to injury they haphazardly throw a turn indicator in a seemingly random spot on the side of it with no attempt whatsoever to integrate it into the design. Compare that to the fender on Bryce’s Jeep and it’s immediately obvious how much more effort went into the JL’s design.

god, I hate the JK. Just look at how ugly this is:

9A5FEE44-4755-4FE1-BFB8-A10074F09141.jpeg
Sponsored

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Correct. I was against the sun and it was incredibly white outside that day, rendering my Firecracker to look burgundy.

Here’s a better shot of the Firecracker red with the sun to the side.
nc_oc=AQl6teDDlPF5JQnI1TuV5Gt3o7XdHUpBuyrFUBvETaY-oOt9DfPHaIlz9Kfol3jRtrY&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
Great picture!

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Nice Jeep! And yeah I came here to say the same thing. When the JK came out one of the many, many things I hated about it were the acres of black plastic. Miles and miles of black plastic. It reminded me of the Chevy Avalanche and to this day I think it’s ugly compared to the tasteful balance of painted and plastic of the TJ and now the JL. And even with painted fenders, they still botched the JK by not having that good balance. JKs with painted fenders have too much unbroken body color. And then to add insult to injury they haphazardly throw a turn indicator in a seemingly random spot on the side of it with no attempt whatsoever to integrate it into the design. Compare that to the fender on Bryce’s Jeep and it’s immediately obvious how much more effort went into the JL’s design.

god, I hate the JK. Just look at how ugly this is:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Important of Painted Fender Flares on Stock Jeep 9A5FEE44-4755-4FE1-BFB8-A10074F09141
I think that looks pretty good, all except maybe the silver linings in the grille slots. But I do agree with the "acres of black plastic" on some of them.
I think the black fenders are a good compromise because if you actually intend to use the Jeep the painted fenders would just get scratched up.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
The shop that powder coated my wheels refused to paint my fenders, because that matte plastic is too porous which can release gas when it gets too hot causing bubbles to form under the paint, but I've seen so many others with painted fenders!

I'm probably going to get mine painted somewhere else and just see what happens down the road.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
The shop that powder coated my wheels refused to paint my fenders, because that matte plastic is too porous which can release gas when it gets too hot causing bubbles to form under the paint, but I've seen so many others with painted fenders!

I'm probably going to get mine painted somewhere else and just see what happens down the road.
Powder coating and painting are two entirely different things.

Sponsored

SGME9

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020
I like the color matched fenders, but I have learned that if you plan on any off road trips, best to have black unpainted. My current fenders are black and the rocks and branches have them all beat up already. I will get new plastic fenders in a couple of years and it won't cost an arma and leg for color.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Personally I think the black plastic hard top and fenders break up the paint scheme and give it the classic Jeep look. I really hate the color-matched JK fenders, the JLs are better with that little bit of black plastic edging to break it up. Color-matched hard tops transform the rugged Wrangler look into an anonymous CUV IMHO. And they're expensive. And they didn't offer it on the Sport so I never considered it.

I don't think it's worth the cost.

SGME9

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020
For the record, these pictures are not of mine, they are of an unsold model at the local dealership.

Here’s a heavily modified one with no top and black aftermarket flares. Mopar lift, 37” tires with mopar wheels

Jeep Wrangler JL The Important of Painted Fender Flares on Stock Jeep 9A5FEE44-4755-4FE1-BFB8-A10074F09141

Does anyone know what fender flares those are?

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I prefer the painted fender look and think Wranglers look so much better with it. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Painted fenders take trail damage more easily while the black ones take UV damage easily, and it's not easy to prevent and/or repair.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I kinda wish I would have gone with basic black fenders and top. Rocky Mountain pin stripes suck. Also, I could mash my fender into a rock and it wouldn’t really matter, just add some 303 protectant and you could barely notice.
Which 303 protectant do you use? The marine and aerospace or the interior/exterior bottle?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I prefer black tops and flares. But you can't go wrong either way... It's a Jeep!

Jeep Wrangler JL The Important of Painted Fender Flares on Stock Jeep 20200914_082140

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Which 303 protectant do you use? The marine and aerospace or the interior/exterior bottle?
I think it’s just the aerospace 303. I didn’t know there was that many versions. Good stuff though. :like:

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
MIne is OEM painted fenders and roof. Loved how it looks. But I also like the black ones. Seems to me like little more aggresive. In any case though I like allways painted roof.
Sponsored