Sponsored

The Important of Painted Fender Flares on Stock Jeep

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
As someone that has owned a Line-X or Rhino-lined truck beds for over 20 years, I can assure you they do not clean up easily. They also fade.
I live in a red clay state and it migrates into all the nooks and crannies of the texturing and it becomes impossible to get out. Both types do a good job at protecting the metal underneath (Line-X more so because it is harder) but I would NEVER put it on an outer panel that I was trying to keep looking clean. It's also heavy...

And to chime in on the original topic...my favorite is a painted top and fenders but I really fear the rock chips- especially the rear fenders.
I've never had any issues cleaning my truck bed with a pressure washer, and I don't think it has faded much at all (for 17 year old Line-X). Sure, it doesn't look shiny & new like the above photo, but I also don't apply any tire-shine or other product either.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
No, mine is much better coverage than his. So it appears they changed brands at some point. Mine is a 2019 while his is a 2018 though.
20200316_120224.jpg
Weird? I have 2019 and mine definitely did not have film. I would have noticed film like melendez69's red fenders. Maybe I have been looking at paint protection film on painted fenders all along and did not notice it was there? Lol.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My rear painted fenders have a clear film on them, my LR4 also has the 3M film on the front end and I can say it really does prevent chipping although on the jeep there are a few little dints from flying rocks.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Here's a question... Is the plastic on the painted fenders different than the plastic on the black/textured ones? I find the textured fenders to be pretty soft/easy to scratch/gouge (in addition to the greying/cleaning issues). But... "Paint ready" black plastic parts (like the unpainted black grille trim) look like a nice, smooth matte black. Maybe they'd look good as-is... or with an "easy-to-diy" rattle can like bumper paint. I used bumper paint on the front facia of my DeLorean back when I was 21, with close to zero painting skill. It turned out perfectly and held up without as much as a rock chip in about 3 years of daily driving. This was over 20 years ago, they probably have even better stuff now.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Weird? I have 2019 and mine definitely did not have film. I would have noticed film like melendez69's red fenders. Maybe I have been looking at paint protection film on painted fenders all along and did not notice it was there? Lol.
It is hard to see for sure. Get your phone out and zoom in, you may have it too.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I kinda wish I would have gone with basic black fenders and top. Rocky Mountain pin stripes suck. Also, I could mash my fender into a rock and it wouldn’t really matter, just add some 303 protectant and you could barely notice.
I've always wondered if clear plasti-dip would help with this?

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
As someone that has owned a Line-X or Rhino-lined truck beds for over 20 years, I can assure you they do not clean up easily. They also fade.
I live in a red clay state and it migrates into all the nooks and crannies of the texturing and it becomes impossible to get out. Both types do a good job at protecting the metal underneath (Line-X more so because it is harder) but I would NEVER put it on an outer panel that I was trying to keep looking clean. It's also heavy...

And to chime in on the original topic...my favorite is a painted top and fenders but I really fear the rock chips- especially the rear fenders.
I've never had any issues cleaning my truck bed with a pressure washer, and I don't think it has faded much at all (for 17 year old Line-X). Sure, it doesn't look shiny & new like the above photo, but I also don't apply any tire-shine or other product either.
That was my pretty much my point. Line-X doesn't stay shiny and new looking (like paint does) after it has aged. Line-X will surface scratch, too. So IMHO you don't gain anything in the looks department compared to the stock black fender flares.
In my case, living in a red clay state, it is impossible to get all the color out of Line-X nooks and crannies. Your mileage may vary on this point. Carolina red clay has earned it's nasty reputation. :swear:

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
upload_2020-3-16_13-29-58.jpeg

My Stinggrey JLUR with colored flares. American Adventure Lab front LED and trimmed off black.
Dammit that's a good looking family truckster! nice job.

Aenima

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Ruby
It depends primarily on preference of course, but aside from that

1) Where and how you wheel
2) The color you choose

1 is obvious, you can make those pretty painted fenders look like hammered shite in one trip depending on where you go. Or at a minimum, over time.

2 is more vague, but for example if you get white, you can beat them up pretty damn bad and no one will be able to tell from a few inches away. Black, or other dark colors, it's going to stick out like a sore thumb.

I prefer unfinished fenders. It's enough work as it is to keep the tub looking good. Screw having to do it with the roof and fenders too.

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
When I replace my Sting Grey Fender flairs, I will replace them with Black steel tube fenders and some nice inner liners.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I like the black plastic for two reasons:

As others have said, it’s an iconic Jeep look. To me, painted fenders make it look closer to a hummer or other brand rigs.

Rocks/debris thrown off the front wheel will damage paint, unless you protect it with films. Scrub the plastic ones with a brush and wipe with 303 and they look like new.
Same here. The black one doe not show the tree rub like the painted ones.

and..

41SLEz-pQDL._AC_.jpg

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I like the black plastic for two reasons:

As others have said, it’s an iconic Jeep look. To me, painted fenders make it look closer to a hummer or other brand rigs.

Rocks/debris thrown off the front wheel will damage paint, unless you protect it with films. Scrub the plastic ones with a brush and wipe with 303 and they look like new.
Yep. Plastic fenders allow going through very tight single tracks not much bother. Our fronts are scuffed up and rears have a ton of road rash. Surprisingly the doors have extremely good quality clear coat over black which makes buffing out most all the pinstripes super easy. The only nicks are on the hinges. Once those are filled all should be good. We do this every 6 months and it keeps the JL looking pretty much new. Once at the end of summer and just done today after ski season.

72CF339E-553B-460D-B123-1E7B9541CE33.jpeg

E90EC46B-5E86-4219-9952-F445B5035877.jpeg

Maz7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
they look great....until they get scratched. then they look like poo. went off roading with a group. 3 of us scraped on a rock while flexing in a perilous "trench". one guy had white painted fenders. he then had nice big black scrape lines in it. said he would just have them repainted. (probably will happen again). me and the other guy, our black textured fenders got scraped but its not really noticeable.

if its going to be a street jeep or very mild offroading then go for it. even pinstriping can be buffed out.
Thats not an issue at all. Just buy and apply the 3m protective film like i did . I vote for the painted fenders. I recommend buying a jeep already modified with them in order not to waste money

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
I prefer the black plastic and not just because minecame from the factory with them. I learned the hard way with my two previous Liberty's that painted fenders don't hold up well to off road bramble/branch scratches or parking lot a-holes. The scars I have on my JL's fenders after 25k actually add to the overall good looks, IMO.
Sponsored