Threads
Reaction score
Website
vectoroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Offroad Manufacturing
Installed the Vector Offroad Mount today.

My Ipad holder didn't connect well because of the different angles so we had to order a different ram mount for that

Here is the outcome. Just a cell phone holder and dash camera right now.

30817049137_503e445121_z.jpg

45757205821_ee369f554a_z.jpg

Please ignore the stupid way I hold the webbing on it. I just didn't want to lose it :p
Looks good. We do have the extension pack now if you need more mounting options. The extension pack also makes the dock much more stable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
Looks good. We do have the extension pack now if you need more mounting options. The extension pack also makes the dock much more stable.
I’ve actually had it sitting in my house for the last few weeks ha. Just need to get the motivation to install it and take those few minutes :)

Preordered this dock the moment you could! :)

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For reference, we have the soft top with the Gobi rack. We never ordered a hard top when we got our Jeep. The soft top causes some buffeting noise on the freeway and at speeds of about 45mph and greater. We alleviated this by going to home depot, buying some pipe insulation, and zip trying it to the support bars on the bottom of the rack. This reduces the noise greatly.

The freeway wind noise can also vary depending on the conditions. Some times, I don't notice the noise. Others, I notice it a lot.

I was surprised when installing to learn that Gobi uses a body mount support system instead of frame mounted. With the JK, they had a frame mount. On the JL, it's a body mount. I'm not sure if it really is effecting anything to have changed the way of installation.

There has been no real reduction in gas mileage with the rack yet. We have a ton of other weight and massive tires on this thing already so our mileage is only about 15mpg normally.

We are going to test our rooftop tent with the system tomorrow to make sure everything works. This was the main reason we purchased the rack in the first place.

Given that there's no other options for the soft top at this time, I'm happy with the purchase. They're on the more expensive side for sure, but Gobi did have great quality in their product. Their customer support was helpful, I added the sunroof insert a month before the rack actually shipped and they added it for me.

Taking the soft top down is going to be a lot more problematic now. There is no more sunrider position which is unfortunate. It's either an all or nothing. I am grateful to at least have some option. Maybe we should have just gotten the hard top anyways. I'm still undecided on that ha.

Let me know if you have any questions or want any other pictures and I will add them!

This is our last mod to our Jeep probably. Minus maybe a spare tire carrier and dual battery setup. So this may be it for the overlanding build thread for a while!

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (Leslie), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Land Raider)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yooo that is a nice ass jeep! Just the right blend of Hella Yella and black trim to contrast. You have good tastes.

Sponsored

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, we have the soft top with the Gobi rack. We never ordered a hard top when we got our Jeep. The soft top causes some buffeting noise on the freeway and at speeds of about 45mph and greater. We alleviated this by going to home depot, buying some pipe insulation, and zip trying it to the support bars on the bottom of the rack. This reduces the noise greatly.

The freeway wind noise can also vary depending on the conditions. Some times, I don't notice the noise. Others, I notice it a lot.

I was surprised when installing to learn that Gobi uses a body mount support system instead of frame mounted. With the JK, they had a frame mount. On the JL, it's a body mount. I'm not sure if it really is effecting anything to have changed the way of installation.

There has been no real reduction in gas mileage with the rack yet. We have a ton of other weight and massive tires on this thing already so our mileage is only about 15mpg normally.

We are going to test our rooftop tent with the system tomorrow to make sure everything works. This was the main reason we purchased the rack in the first place.

Given that there's no other options for the soft top at this time, I'm happy with the purchase. They're on the more expensive side for sure, but Gobi did have great quality in their product. Their customer support was helpful, I added the sunroof insert a month before the rack actually shipped and they added it for me.

Taking the soft top down is going to be a lot more problematic now. There is no more sunrider position which is unfortunate. It's either an all or nothing. I am grateful to at least have some option. Maybe we should have just gotten the hard top anyways. I'm still undecided on that ha.

Let me know if you have any questions or want any other pictures and I will add them!

This is our last mod to our Jeep probably. Minus maybe a spare tire carrier and dual battery setup. So this may be it for the overlanding build thread for a while!

Do you have pictures of the mod you did to reduce the wind noise?

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll take some pictures today when I get home. We still have a little more work to do on it but it’s pretty much done!

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are the photos for you. Sorry they aren't super noticeable but tried to get some decent ones.

46829733215_f2363c0be0_z.jpg

46829733145_fed011292a_z.jpg

32802967097_98568acb78_z.jpg

46829733165_6e637aa6d4_z.jpg

32802967177_2f3b0ecece_z.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions

Sponsored

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed our ARB awning today just to see how it fits! Turned out okay! Works well with the Gobi Rack. We're going to install the rooftop tent tomorrow to make sure it all works.

46899416375_53e17c96dd_z.jpg

47815811681_b53c3c5cfc_z.jpg

47763577332_df38d0df32_z.jpg

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We installed our Rooftop tent yesterday to test it. Also, we needed to attach it because we're moving in a few weeks and don't want to have to load it up when we can just put it on top of a Jeep. With the Gobi rack, it works well. The removable cross members are attached to the tent then we just attach them all up together. Pretty quick and efficient way which is nice.

Overall, decent amount of room inside. I think we'll enjoy it instead of ground camping and carrying everything inside the Jeep!

47924295358_6f93f8f06f_z.jpg

47924297246_fecbc321da_z.jpg

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
So today was the day after about 8 long months of waiting. We received our Gobi rack! Here are some post installation photos and our initial review!

47656387012_99ce70bfed_z.jpg

47709403001_7362a4f703_z.jpg

47656386932_a7335933bc_z.jpg

33832127598_0eb3cc6527_z.jpg

47656386872_7ab020c688_z.jpg

47656387132_4db5c7a8e0_z.jpg

33832127848_5efc186397_z.jpg

47656387022_d673a82a98_z.jpg
Super sweet Jeep!

I almost did the same.. but the check book said no way :)

We are sticking with just using a trailer and ground tent then placing the Kayaks on the top via a home made rack (8020.com)..

I sure appreciate all the posting you are doing!

Keep up the great work!

TC

Thank you!

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super sweet Jeep!

I almost did the same.. but the check book said no way :)

We are sticking with just using a trailer and ground tent then placing the Kayaks on the top via a home made rack (8020.com)..

I sure appreciate all the posting you are doing!

Keep up the great work!

TC

Thank you!
That's a great idea too! The ground camping wasn't all that bad actually. We just had the unused space at the top is all so we maximized it! Definitely a hit to the checkbook though as you said lol

Thanks for the comments!