Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
Biggest problem with using it with the top off is that is when it will be the most obvious that you are putting things in it. It won’t exactly be inconspicuous to turn, open the headrest, type in a code, open the safe door, stick stuff in it, close and lock the safe door and then close the headrest panel. Seems like the console safe is a cheaper and more secure option.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Or use the rear floor tub and lock the tailgate.
Wait...that locks down the rear tub panel? I can't believe I've never thought to try that. I'm sure I sound like a total noob but it never occurred to me to try to open that panel with the tailgate closed. I can't be the only one.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'm liking the idea of this. Quick and easy place to easily stash my phone/wallet when the top and doors are off and I'm going to go splash in the water or something... Okay as an old man I don't know why I wouldn't just throw those things in my pocket, my bikini wearing days should probably be behind me anyways. But I could see using it. Not sure I'd put a gun in there, or anything that couldn't be replaced. But small valuables I'd rather lock them in that and leave the glove box and center console unlocked and empty. Looking forward to the review and some more photos once installed.

EDIT: Okay watching the install video, I got a question... is this thing water proof/water resistant? Being an electronic lock on something that is going to get rained and snowed on gives me pause. Also; looks like the bottom side is only covered with foam piece which appears to be a good place for water intrusion and maybe also an easy attack if the safe is spotted. Can the foam be pushed up and moved to the side so the contents (small wallet, phone) can be gotten? The lack of water proof/water resistant storage in the JL is something I feel I'm constantly annoyed about.

Last edited:

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Wait...that locks down the rear tub panel? I can't believe I've never thought to try that. I'm sure I sound like a total noob but it never occurred to me to try to open that panel with the tailgate closed. I can't be the only one.
Two door owners with the subwoofer don't get that. *insert sad trombone*

Sponsored

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Another great option for adding some small locking storage to Jeep is to attach ammo cans to the tailgate. Pretty easy DIY.

See: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-ammo-can-taillgate-storage.8421/

Drilling the ammo cans to attach means they are no longer as waterproof as original but there are a number of different ammo cans. Some already include latches that allow a lock to be added (key or combination) and the holes can be waterproofed with a little bit of sealing silicon.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Biggest problem with using it with the top off is that is when it will be the most obvious that you are putting things in it. It won’t exactly be inconspicuous to turn, open the headrest, type in a code, open the safe door, stick stuff in it, close and lock the safe door and then close the headrest panel.
The keys, credit card and phone could be secured in the headrest prior to leaving home, since immediate access isn't necessary when driving and they won't be needed at the beach (thus @Jjirish's stated use case here.)

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The keys, credit card and phone could be secured in the headrest prior to leaving home, since immediate access isn't necessary when driving and they won't be needed at the beach (thus @Jjirish's stated use case here.)
May want to grab a faraday bag if anyone intends to lock up their Jeep key in it though.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
May want to grab a faraday bag if anyone intends to lock up their Jeep key in it though.
I've gifted these bags to several family members. To a person, they've nothing but praise when observing how well the bags work to block the signal from their fobs, even when standing right next to their vehicles.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Do people not realize that both the center console and the glove box lock? Or are they both just too weak?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Do people not realize that both the center console and the glove box lock? Or are they both just too weak?
Both can be pulled or especially pried open without too much force, doubly so given their plastic construction. My personal take is that the lock cylinder on the glovebox is just for show.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
What would anybody put in there?

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I honestly dont see the big deal abt ppl seeing her open and lock the headrest. When any thief gains entry they go for the console and glove box so in my head, they already know 2 of 3 places to search. Adding another thats going to take more time and hella effort to attempt to break in will just send the thief back to the quick grab console and glovebox. Hence why an "emergency 20" stays in the console.... either for her to use or a thief to atleast get something and will move on. We arent trying to add a incognito safe... just a safe thats out of the way, not under her seats, and doesnt take up any additional space in the jeep (fyi its a 2door).

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
Because if they see her put valuable items in there they aren’t going to worry about the other 2 places and are just going to focus on the place that they know the items are. I feel certain that if someone really wanted to they could rip that headrest off in less than 30 seconds.
Sponsored