Sponsored

The great octane debate: 2.0 Turbo owners - What grade gas do you use?

The great octane debate: 2.0 Turbo owners - What grade gas do you use?

• Total voters

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting results. Seems like so far almost 2 out of 3 are using premium gas.

Been doing a lot of reading old threads and researching on this and thoughts seem to be all over the board. It seems basically though that with these turbo charged engines, there probably is some benefit to using higher octane gas although people will also do just fine running 87 gas.

Seems like it's pretty tough to quantify the benefit but most stuff I've seen seems to suggest there is likely some benefit even if it's not noticeable. Seems to me at the very least you're not making these turbo engines work quite as hard when you feed them better octane gas even if performance differences in mileage or power aren't noticed. I mean, I know the engine is built to compensate for lower octane gas but common sense would suggest to me that if you don't need to make the engine do that compensation work, it's probably better for the engine in the long haul.

There has to be something to be said for the fact that the manuals for the 2.0T engines in the Wrangler a couple years ago were written to recommend 91 octane gas but then later were changed to say that 87 was okay but 91 is recommended for peak performance.

I think I'll probably be opting for some higher grade just for piece of mind since I plan to keep this vehicle for awhile. I'll have to see what pumps have around me even have. If they have 91, I'll probably use that. If not, I'll probably use at least 89 just for a little extra piece of mind....or maybe alternate 89 and 93.

I guess I look at it sorta like the human body and taking daily vitamins or something. You don't need them to run, but they can help you run at peak performance.
Any turbo engine needs higher octane gas for peak performance. Dealer told me regular was ok....Nope. Switched o 93 octane and never looked back. Engine gives you that spirited turbo whistle that I personally love.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Jeep doesn't claim a specific number, just citing "peak performance". Mazda on their 2.5t actually cites 227hp on 87 and 250hp on premium. Being our engines are similar in output,, logic would say the difference would also be similar. Is that enough of a difference to be noticeable? Likely not/maybe? Have I ever run less than 91 in 25k miles? Nope. Guys spend $400-1,000 upgrading intakes and exhaust with less of a gain. At 17mpg average, we've likely run through 1,400 gallons of fuel in the time we've owned the jeep...about $700 over running 87 octane. Money well spent in my opinion.

Steve Jennings

First Name
Not Now
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.neveragain.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Scooter
Occupation
Trust Funder
87 without ethanol in Utah and 91 without ethanol in Wyoming/Idaho.
Better mpg, no corrosion and no detonation issues.

Iamjeepy6

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLU 80th Ann.
New to the turbo world but not to the Jeep world. My 2021 JLU has the 2.0t with just over 2k miles. Running premium for now and getting 20-22 mpg.

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
2019 JLUR 2.0T and been running 87 exclusively for about a year now.... interstate driving 19-20mpg around town 21-22 mpg

Sponsored

Thexr6

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2007 JK Rubi, 2021WL overland
I use the Pure Gas app while traveling - all Ethanol free for all jeeps, than highest octane available.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
FYI
The reason people are getting better gas mileage with lower octane fuel is because the engine adjusts timing and lowers boost. Less boost means less fuel consumption at the expense of peak performance.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My company pays for $250.00 worth of gas a month. That said, it's complete trash gas. I can only get 87, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was closer to 85. Well, it was 114 degrees here and the engine would run HOT, above middle if I pushed, and drop power (happened twice). On my dime, I only use 76 or Chevron and 87 is just fine. My only point here is IF you run 87, please use top tier gas.
I don't use my allotment of gas from work, but when I do use it, I add an octane booster and it's fine. If gas was not the way it is today, I wouldn't run it at all.
Like others have stated though, I run 91 when going off road or on longer trips. Around town 95% of the time I'm easy on the throttle.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Ran 87 in my ā€˜20 since new, nary an issue, mid 20ā€™s mpgā€™s. Couldnā€™t ask for more. Power from the 2.0 is great. Definitely pulls far harder than previous Jeeps-fast enough giver the high cg and short wheelbase. Oil companies are making plenty without me paying another 65 cents/ gallon. Owners manual clearly says 87 (with higher recommended for peak performance). The engineers who designed it know what fuel it needs, so Iā€™ll follow their advice. Interesting to note that the Alpha Stelio (very similar power plant) is rated 280 hp and requires premium. If the manual said premium required, Iā€™d run it (and have with previous vehicles). That said, I will never buy a new vehicle that requires premium fuel-too many options out there that do not. No reason to pay more than one needs to.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
That said, I will never buy a new vehicle that requires premium fuel-too many options out there that do not. No reason to pay more than one needs to.
Yeah. It's rare to find 93 octane where I am. I'd be pretty limited in my choices if I had that 392.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Just wondering what gas type 2.0 T owners are using as I will be getting a 2021 JLUR soon and trying to decide what I want to do fuel wise. I know the manual says the 87 octane can be used but that 91 or higher gives peak performance. I'm guessing lots of vehicle manuals say that though and not sure how much it really matters. I don't think I've ever put higher than 87 octane gas into any vehicle I've ever owned. But I want to do right by this Jeep.

Just looking for a poll to see what most are really doing.
To put it shortly think of higher octane as an insurance policy..

Decreasing Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURubicon XR
Occupation
Retired Federal LEO
Whelp, common logic is to run the lowest octane possible without causing pre detonation. That goes for turbo engines as well.
In the 80s, turbo technology was very basic and you had to run the higher octane that would be compatible with the highest boost. So premium or race gas it was for motor longevity.
Modern day turbo systems are governed by electronics that control timing, among other things. Thereby allowing you to run lower octane fuel, at the expense of performance (usually due to timing).
Will you feel the difference? Maybe. Maybe not.
I run premium in every other vehicle that I own because they are all either turbo, supercharged, or just high performance engines. I might as well run premium in my Jeep too. Then the only thing I have to worry about when pulling up to the pump is which side the gas cap is on.
Sponsored