jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@four low,

Just for clarification, almost everything we've been discussing is in regards to a BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle); pure electric. The new 4xe Wrangler is a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid).

I personally believe that this 4xe concept is a pretty good start at using more electric capabilities in a hybrid (but still an ICE vehicle nonetheless). If your heart is set on a 4xe don't let me, or anyone, rain on your parade. If it potentially has your name on it, own it and have fun with it.

However, please be aware of it's drawbacks, such as battery replacement and true maintenance costs as well as the current (pun intended) Plug-in charging constraints.

However with the 2.0L straight four (I4), Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC), direct injection turbo as your reserve on-board battery charger, I'm confident that you'll find a way to somehow get by. Of course I'll understand that this may still be a little disappointing, having to drive an ICE vehicle with EV lipstick.

I'm quite certain that if my 13th great uncle would bequeath me a 4xe in his will, I'd go have fun with it. No other way however I [personally] would purchase one outright. But to each their own.

All I ask is that you have some empathy for those of us who are, and remain, rather skeptical of all this PC EV hype. Science doesn't lie but it does hold a lot of promise. We just have to find the most appropriate approach while working toward a viable solution. Hopefully before the decomposed Dinosaur Goo runs dry.

But I won't let anyone bully me into believing all this horseshit without some pushback. Necessity not fear is the engine to foster true innovation. Progress should always be based on merit, not thuggery. Unfortunately I do believe that way (way) too many of us are being force-fed the EV propaganda kool-aid, and falling for it without seeing, or really understanding the bigger picture.

Keep on Jeeping, no matter the equipment you chose to run with. It's your vision, follow it.

Jay
Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

As a Tesla Model S owner, and a Jeep Wranger owner...
- Batteries - the cost is going down. By the time I need to replace the batteries in the Tesla, the cost will be off set with the maintenance costs I have saved over the years.
- Software is the big issue. FCA absolutely sucks when it comes to doing software. Tesla seems to have it down, both from a quality standpoint and a distribution standpoint. I don't think any other auto manufacturer gets this right. I have had bad experiences with Jeep, Mercedes, GM, and Audi.
- If Jeep can get the EV thing right, I look forward to having a simple vehicle with electric power. In theory, it would be the last vehicle I would every have to buy. I have serious concerns that Jeep can deliver on this.
- Ideally, I would like to see a Tesla that is more in line with a 1986 Mercedes S class, and less like a 2021 BMW 700 series.. give me the electric drive train, with ZERO electronic frills that are prone to break. I don't need electric self presenting door handles! A car like that should run forever.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
- Software is the big issue. FCA absolutely sucks when it comes to doing software. Tesla seems to have it down, both from a quality standpoint and a distribution standpoint.
It's pretty amazing how they can push a software update to your car and unlock more performance.

I don't need electric self presenting door handles! A car like that should run forever.
I could be wrong, but I think those are for aerodynamics.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

It's pretty amazing how they can push a software update to your car and unlock more performance.

I could be wrong, but I think those are for aerodynamics.
the door handles do retract for aerodynamics.. but they are also prone to breaking, and cost upwards of $2800 to replace.. I think the price has gone down a little though.

The Model 3 has a purely mechanical door handle, that also serves the purpose of staying out of the airflow. This is an example of a less failure prone option that achieves the same goal.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
the door handles do retract for aerodynamics..
So there's enough concern regarding door handle aerodynamics consuming significant enough electrical energy as to justify a $2800 cost. Just imagine requiring a 6800 lb EV to climb this:
Jeep Wrangler JL The future of the Wrangler Jeep RoseGarden.JPG

after a 30 mile 1500 ft climb in 105º heat just getting to the bottom of this. Those little trees to the left of the steps are about 12 feet tall. This is a loop route to include a 15 mile spur to Dolores River plus another 2500 ft 4 low climb to Top of the World then return to Moab. You EV shills apparently have never wheeled.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So there's enough concern regarding door handle aerodynamics consuming significant enough electrical energy as to justify a $2800 cost. Just imagine requiring a 6800 lb EV to climb this:
Jeep Wrangler JL The future of the Wrangler Jeep RoseGarden.JPG

after a 30 mile 1500 ft climb in 105º heat just getting to the bottom of this. This is a loop route to include a 15 mile spur to Dolores River plus another 2500 ft 4 low climb to Top of the World then return to Moab. You EV shills apparently have never wheeled.
What goes up must come down... with regenerative braking.

Until we see what Jeep produces, we won't know how limited in range they will be when compared to an ICE. But if we're going to gatekeep what makes a Real Jeep, we should probably use the (22 mile) Rubicon as a baseline... which the 4Xe has already completed in EV mode.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
But if we're going to gatekeep
My gatekeeping requires a 1000 mile round trip and a four night outing on say..... Hole in the Rock with three 4 minute fill ups.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Guess we'll have to wait for the JL "Hole in the Rock" edition then.
I believe we're considering EVs here. JLRs, JTRs are every bit as capable as built XJs and F150s on Hole in the Rock. They were part of our group. Another group's Lexus GXs', though, were hard to keep up with.

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I know that, its a joke. Just like when I see a Harley motorcycle being towed on a trailer. I ask the owner if you can ride them for long distances or do you have to tow them to where you plan to ride? It always helps to look and act stupid when asking these questions. I excel at looking stupid so it comes natural to me.
sadly your correct. thankfully for me though i dont own a trailer to put mine on. i just need some dang time to ride it. 2 summer toys is rough lol

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
What goes up must come down... with regenerative braking.

Until we see what Jeep produces, we won't know how limited in range they will be when compared to an ICE. But if we're going to gatekeep what makes a Real Jeep, we should probably use the (22 mile) Rubicon as a baseline... which the 4Xe has already completed in EV mode.
Regenerative braking from what I understand is most effective when traveling at speed and giving the system enough rotations of the wheels to properly build up constant resistance in the regen system. I would highly doubt that the extremely slow going pace and inconsistent braking of actual rock crawling downhill would contribute much if at all to regen braking.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Regenerative braking from what I understand is most effective when traveling at speed and giving the system enough rotations of the wheels to properly build up constant resistance in the regen system. I would highly doubt that the extremely slow going pace and inconsistent braking of actual rock crawling downhill would contribute much if at all to regen braking.
It all depends on what the EV's low range is (or if it has it at all). It might not be much, but I can guarantee that it's more than an internal combustion motor could get.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I have a very strong feeling the entire cosmic clockwork is creation of extremely precise design and no one not even the electric rider Elon have a clue when the Carrington situation will occur again , specialy electrical cars wil be extra vulnerable to such electromagnetic blast from the Sun's corona ... sorry , I realize nobody needs to hear another dark prediction

https://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Regenerative braking reminds me of my undergrad thermodynamics class in engineering school, it waa a super cool concept back then. We did a school project, designed a mountain bike so part of the frame would be able to hold compressed air at a certain pressure, then with used a piston that would compress air when braking and store it in the tank. The store compress air was then available to aid pedaling when climbing. The idea is to convert the kinetic energy when going downhill into potential energy, the piston working to compress air slows down the bike. In regular braking you convert the kinetic energy to heat friction and it is "lost". For regenerative braking you need kinetic energy, which means you need speed. Another way to store the energy is using a flywheel to charge a battery. So yeah, useless when rock crawling as there is negligible to none kinetic energy.
Sponsored