First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks
I want to see if that's true for a typical family sedan like a Camry. I cant find where you got that.
I bought a 2006 Mustang GT premium new for $28k, same car starts at $42k now
Sponsored

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
This trend is very familiar to me. I saw it occurring in the 80's and told folks at the time, the health care industry is out to fleece us. And look at the graphs for medical costs over the past 4 decades. The medical industry forces us to use the latest technology, which costs millions for them to acquire. Profits have soared in that industry. Had kidney stones 8 years ago, just over $5,000 out of pocket ($7,000 deductible) for a few hours at emergency center. Childbirth, I paid out of pocket for one child to be born in the 70's, including the wife's visits prior and hospital fees for 3-1/2 days. Just under $2,000.

Anyway the rant is over. New auto prices are soaring due to advances in technology and the manufacturers pushing it on us. A good thing about getting old is the short term memory failing before the long term good ol day memories, LOL.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle prices are soaring in great part because we have 96.5% employment.

Just wait for the economy to start tanking and the layoffs to begin, and you will see how quickly vehicle prices drop.

I got the best deals during the last recession. In March 2010, I picked up a used 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8 with 16,000 miles for $25,000. Got $23,000 when I sold it in 2013. MSRP was $48,000 when new. That car was a beast, a ton of fun, and never gave me any problems.

Chrysler stock photo
848332c2005_415_high.jpg

Last edited:

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I am also curious on the percentage of people that keep their vehicles longer than their payments. Particularly for the long term contracts, who wants to make payments for 6-7 years, and are those people actually keeping their vehicle for 6-7 years? But it is easy to finance with some of these low interest loans, I just don't want to pay for a vehicle for that long. It is easy to justify a payment when the vehicle has 30,000 miles, harder to when you are still paying for that same vehicle and it has over 100,000 miles.
My last vehicle was a 2005 Chevy Silverado that I kept for 13 years (the last 8 years without payments) and 389,000 thousand miles. Sold it to a coworker and it's still going, it'll break 400k shortly. I plan to keep the Jeep that long assuming it continues to suit my needs, and if it can make it that far without a repair that costs more than it's worth. With the high resale on Jeeps I'm hopeful.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The future of the Wrangler is failure as long as Fiat has control. I have never owned a vehicle I loved so much and was also pissed off with at the same time.

My plan is to buy a 2 door after my JLU is payed off. It won't be a JL two door, I can tell you that.

Also....electric hybrid Wrangler? Seriously? They should skip that and make a 2 door diesel.

At the same time they need to get their hands on a JL that has the death wobble, wandering steering, bad rockers, bad M220 Dana rear with knock and the engine knock. Fix the million wranglers you're selling first.

Fiat is a shitty company.

Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This trend is very familiar to me. I saw it occurring in the 80's and told folks at the time, the health care industry is out to fleece us. And look at the graphs for medical costs over the past 4 decades. The medical industry forces us to use the latest technology, which costs millions for them to acquire. Profits have soared in that industry. Had kidney stones 8 years ago, just over $5,000 out of pocket ($7,000 deductible) for a few hours at emergency center. Childbirth, I paid out of pocket for one child to be born in the 70's, including the wife's visits prior and hospital fees for 3-1/2 days. Just under $2,000.

Anyway the rant is over. New auto prices are soaring due to advances in technology and the manufacturers pushing it on us. A good thing about getting old is the short term memory failing before the long term good ol day memories, LOL.
You sure you're non partisan ? Lol

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
:LOL::LOL::CWL::CWL::LOL::LOL:

Not even close to the same car, one has a pos 3v 4.6 vs a 5.0 coyote.

options/specs wise no. But then a 2008 wrangler didn't come with 8" touchscreens, powered windows door locks, push button start, etc etc etc.
Don't think you will find many models that are identical today as they were 10-11 years ago, and that is part of why the average price is higher, more standard features, and inflation.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Having a capable Base Sport as entry level is key. The stupid high prices people are paying ( or paying the Bank ) can't last. Every Bubble Bursts, and the Sport will be available when the market retracts. It's Sine Wave Economics, Jeep is covering the options very well.
i agree with you. and used this method when i was looking for my jeep. my views was:

- the rubicon is a great top of the line jl. however the price is too high and too many options that i didnt need. also the i didnt care for the red dash and the style of the wheels.
- sahara is too fancy and more of a luxury vehicle for the folks that will never see the trails. same goes for the high price
-sport s to me is wanted a sport model, but need the options like power windows, locks, advance tech. etc. price can vary and if not careful you would be knocking on the door of a sahara.
-sport base model is a bare bone model low budget jeep that is open to either keep stock or build it up to your liking.

ended up getting the jl sport base model with 4 options. a/c. xm, 8spd, and hard top. i wanted some thing that was plain and simple, not loaded with options that i will never use. also starting with a base model, i can build it to the way i want it without breaking the bank.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Was reading about the Ford Bronco and what they hope to steal from Jeep in terms of customer numbers... It really looks to me like the Wrangler is moving more and more towards being a quirky luxury vehicle. Not unlike how Italian Sports car owners own racing vehicles, We will see Beverly Hills people with Winches. I don't think the Bronco will make much of a dent. Maybe to the (this forum) off-roaders.

Don't get me wrong, I am a suburbanite and this is not an insult. It is a fantastic car and people love them. I love it. Rich people will pay more and more. I saw a D.C. lot that modifies them with after market stuff brand mew and keeps a few for sale at 100K. In the end its a business. The Wrangler is unique in how it fits in so well as a weekend car or a daily drive and as nice as the Sahara is, I can see them doing even more. The power top will be standard soon. A computer will switch you to 2H.

If they bump the price in 2021 again, its happening.On the bright side, resale will stay strong if in 2025 the sport S is a 45K car. I also predict AC will be standard on lowest model next year.

Trying to find a chart on line for base model historical cost and compare it to a Camry or something generic.
if you look back in history of jeep, they held up in sales when the broncos, ih scouts, fj, and defenders came out. today competition, i believe that the jeep will hold in sales.

i also believe that the jeep wrangler will still have the solid f/r axles as well as the t case shifter.

it is unfortunate that the prices will still rise.

my brother ordered a 00 tj striped down with key option and the price was $18k. if he did the same order for a 19 or 20 model, it would cost him $28k granted technologies, etc. will be different between the tj and jl. however the price different of $10k in 20 years is not all that bad.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
if you look back in history of jeep, they held up in sales when the broncos, ih scouts, fj, and defenders came out. today competition, i believe that the jeep will hold in sales.

i also believe that the jeep wrangler will still have the solid f/r axles as well as the t case shifter.

it is unfortunate that the prices will still rise.

my brother ordered a 00 tj striped down with key option and the price was $18k. if he did the same order for a 19 or 20 model, it would cost him $28k granted technologies, etc. will be different between the tj and jl. however the price different of $10k in 20 years is not all that bad.
I agree with you. When you’re talking car pricing, you are factoring two things, inflation and massively increased content. Not just options you can avoid with the base model. Every trim has ABS and TC and massive computer controls, plus the engineering to meet all the safety standards. If you’re gonna drive it on the road it can’t be just sheet metal and a carbureted drivetrain anymore. All said I don’t see new car prices as being far out of line.

Last edited: