The fun game of why I don't let others work on my vehicle

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So let's start a post on fun times and great experiences you've had with others doing work on your vehicle. I'll start.

I've been playing around with my caster angle and I wanted to see what an alignment rack measured compared to my angle finder. Took it to a local shop that offered "free alignment checks". Got it on the rack and everything was good except my steering wheel wasn't quite centered. The kid asked me if I wanted him to center it while it was on the machine. I figured why not? I've had them check it 3 times already so might as well give them some money, plus they have a 6 month warranty and I'm getting ready to go on a wheeling trip. He straightened it and showed me the report. It was good. Started driving down the road and something felt weird. Went back to the shop and crawled under the jeep. I have a steer smart drag link with maybe 500 miles on it. Apparently he didn't think loosing the clamps was necessary. Looks like he grabbed it with a pipe wrench and started spinning. Went in and had the front desk girl come look at it. She said they'd fix it and I told her no. Give me the tools and I'd do it myself. The manager is out til Tuesday but I'm going to want a new drag link.

20200904_181958.jpg

20200904_174634.jpg

20200904_174627.jpg
Sponsored

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
Good lord.

what is it about any procedure that requires a straight wheel is never right from a shop. Dealer or otherwise I always have to dial it in from 11a or 1p or worse. At least I’m not leaving with damage I guess.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Good lord.

what is it about any procedure that requires a straight wheel is never right from a shop. Dealer or otherwise I always have to dial it in from 11a or 1p or worse. At least I’m not leaving with damage I guess.
I was planning on fixing it when I got home. When they asked I figured why not. What could they possibly mess up straightening a steering wheel. Guess they showed me.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Wow....some people's kids, right? :CWL:

That sux. Hope they get you a new one in short order.
I really how so. I'm leaving for a trip to Colorado in two weeks. I don't know if I trust that drag link end for a 9 hr highway drive. The boot is torn but more worried about the end breaking going 80 mph with the wife and 10 month old in the vehicle.
Sponsored