The FIX for the drip rail water leaking that anyone can do

Bighognut

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting Gray
Just completed the door sweep version, looks great and works great, left them clear on Sting gray, the coax seal was a great idea, but only for a Hard top, does not work with a soft top.

Artvandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the write up. Cool of you. Sucks big time that when we spend like $50,000 on a wrangler, like I did on my 2020, that we have to deal w water pouring on us or inside the Jeep. Esp since they know full well of the issue for years now. Pple can act like itā€™s a small thing all they want, but letā€™s be real... itā€™s crap, we shouldnā€™t have to deal w it and we Def shouldnā€™t gave to be rigging up ghetto fixes. The biggest thing is sometimes youā€™re not just simply getting wet because itā€™s not just pouring on the floor mat... multiple pple have reported that theyā€™ve had theirs bead up, stick to the a pillar and run right down it into the dash...
Thatā€™s not good at all, if that happens even once on mine Iā€™ll be going to the dealer so itā€™s on file for the future if there any electrical problems. Makes me wonder how many pple have had this happen and them or their passenger hasnt seen it.

Very possible, because even with mine damned up at the front with caulk it still does it and Iā€™m sure a lot of you are like me...after the first few times of the stream coming down I just decided that instead of being pissed off and miserable Iā€™ve just accepted it, donā€™t pay attention, and just get in and out of the jeep fast to minimize the BS. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s been the ā€œfixā€ for most of us.

OP
OP
Rubi-Zero

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up. Cool of you. Sucks big time that when we spend like $50,000 on a wrangler, like I did on my 2020, that we have to deal w water pouring on us or inside the Jeep. Esp since they know full well of the issue for years now. Pple can act like itā€™s a small thing all they want, but letā€™s be real... itā€™s crap, we shouldnā€™t have to deal w it and we Def shouldnā€™t gave to be rigging up ghetto fixes. The biggest thing is sometimes youā€™re not just simply getting wet because itā€™s not just pouring on the floor mat... multiple pple have reported that theyā€™ve had theirs bead up, stick to the a pillar and run right down it into the dash...
Thatā€™s not good at all, if that happens even once on mine Iā€™ll be going to the dealer so itā€™s on file for the future if there any electrical problems. Makes me wonder how many pple have had this happen and them or their passenger hasnt seen it.

Very possible, because even with mine damned up at the front with caulk it still does it and Iā€™m sure a lot of you are like me...after the first few times of the stream coming down I just decided that instead of being pissed off and miserable Iā€™ve just accepted it, donā€™t pay attention, and just get in and out of the jeep fast to minimize the BS. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s been the ā€œfixā€ for most of us.
Try this door sweep method, it really does work and isnā€™t hard to complete. Since I originally posted this thread I have narrowed the overall width of the sweep to see if it would hamper its effectiveness but it has not. Still works great. After many months of it being on I donā€™t even think about it dripping anymore even in heavy rain, I just go on with Jeep life without rain coming in.

Sponsored

Seth_The_AT

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S 2020
Great job.
I have fixed my ST, HT, and BESTOP SR from leaks and no wind noise.
-get a hot glue gun with clear or colored glue sticks (I used black)
-use a popsicle stick to temp put on front edge of drip rail
-fill in with glue stick 2 in back from the open front edge
- drill a small hole under the drip rail 2in from the front after glue is hardened.
be sure to drill at the center of the drip rail closest to the door frame as the drip rail is angled in
-drill a small hole 2 in from rear drip rail

Summary:
2 holes in front drip rail and 2 holes in rear of the drip rail plus hot glue filled in the front 2 drip rails.

Ran each top thru car wash and soaked in driveway and no more drips.
Test drive with each tops at 75MPG and no wind noise.
Can you post pictures?

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Overland Black/Black
No problem, glad to give something back to this community which has been invaluable to me.

It's painted or unpainted hard plastic attached with double sided tape, your choice on paint. I got the semi-gloss black. Unpainted if you want to paint to match.

I had it up to 80 yesterday, no signs of moving. With doors closed. It doesn't interfere with doors, the weatherproof rubber surround of the door seals to it.

Don't know about doors off but I wouldn't be concerned. It's on there pretty tight and taped attached both outside the car and in the door jamb.
Love to know how the longer term review is going. I'm in Australia, so this is a bigger decision (costs + time). Thanks in advance.

TheGuyYouKnow

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JL, ā€˜12 WK2 5.7, Caddy EXT, Chevy 2500
Occupation
Self Employed
Email with pricing from Truck Master Designs:

We have introduced our 2018 to 2020 Wrangler JL and JT Gladiator Drip Rail
extensions.
Alleviating The Dreaded Drip
This product is designed to rout the water that runs down on you the driver or the
passenger when opening the door of the JL Wrangler when it is raining. The
product does so by routing the flow of the water forward and to the outside of the
Jeep body to the base of the windshield frame away from the drivers and
passenger compartment.
We offer three finish versions of the Drip Rail Extensions.
UV Gloss Black mainly for Wranglers that are painted Black or Dark Grey.
UV Semi Gloss Black for Jeeps with the satin Black Tops
Customer Paint to Match. This version is for customers who want to paint the
Drip Rail Extensions to match the color of the Jeep. Customers can paint the
extensions with spray can paint. We recommend that customers purchase
matching color paint and a clear coat paint to finish the drip rails correctly.
Customers can purchase spray can paint from the Jeep dealers, some auto part
stores and online. You need the paint code usually listed on a sticker located on
the drivers door of the just below the door latching mechanism. We do not paint.
The UV Versions are $ 74.00 a Pair and the customer paint to match version is
$69.00 a pair. These are delivered prices to addresses in the lower 48 states.
Additional fees apply when shipping to Canada or other countries.
We use PayPal for financial transactions. You do not need a PayPal account to
use the service.
Simply let us know which version you would like to purchase and we will send
you a PayPal funds request.
We ship the product by USPS. Products usually ship within 24 hrs of paid orders.
Email us at [email protected],View at Truck Master designs.com
or Products- Truck Master Designs.
I bought these in Spring/Summer of 2020. They work really well and when painted to match, not as noticeable as you would think. Easy to install with the tape provided. However, after being installed for several months the tape did start to fail. I decided to make it more permanent and use trim adhesive. Doing so actually cut down on the wind noise a little. I dont really even think about them anymore. By the way, I tried a lot of other ideas prior to finding these. I tried Sugru, hot glue, silicone, weather stripping, channels of different types.....Truckmasterdesigns for the W

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I bought these in Spring/Summer of 2020. They work really well and when painted to match, not as noticeable as you would think. Easy to install with the tape provided. However, after being installed for several months the tape did start to fail. I decided to make it more permanent and use trim adhesive. Doing so actually cut down on the wind noise a little. I dont really even think about them anymore. By the way, I tried a lot of other ideas prior to finding these. I tried Sugru, hot glue, silicone, weather stripping, channels of different types.....Truckmasterdesigns for the W

I've had my TruckMaster Designs Drip Rail Extensions (UV Gloss Black) installed since April 2020 and I'm also finding that the double sided tape provided is starting to lose its grip.

I used a hair dryer to heat mine up and pressed them back on, and they're holding well for now, but I'm going to remove them once the weather warms up a bit and replace the provided tape with some stronger automotive grade 3M tape. I'll also use some 3M adhesion promoter this time around.

Otherwise they work pretty well and I haven't had any water dripping into the Jeep since I installed them.

IMG_20200825_222948.jpg

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
My Truckmaster solution. I too have been happy with them. I too have noticed the double-sided tape starting to fail after about a year. I wonder if those little tiny gutter extensions sold now on Amazon actually work or not... They seem to work based on the same premise but much smaller footprint.
Jeep Wrangler JL The FIX for the drip rail water leaking that anyone can do B203D7C8-8478-4CB9-9BFA-6E432B46E2F0
Jeep Wrangler JL The FIX for the drip rail water leaking that anyone can do C480A56B-DD82-4C04-9D7F-8F808587656E

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S