Sponsored

THE FIX FOR LOCKERS: Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Sorry to hear. Sounds like sensor going again.... they need to seal and pot them and make it available to buy separate.
Is your bubbling paint white? Mine is. Manufactured 10/2020, it’s a 2021 Rubi.
Sponsored

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I had mine "fixed" a couple months ago. This week I've had the warning come up three times.. Scheduled again to go back next week, with hopes they can fix all the bubbling paint... YEA!
I have both lockers and paint issue too. What model year is your Rubi and when was it made? I have a 2021 made in 10/2020.

JeepCAL

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Okay so I’m currently having this issue. “Service Axle Locker System” goes on frequently. I have a brand new 2021 JLU Rubicon literally only about 3 weeks old. Now my lockers are currently still working. I took it to the dealership they ruled it as as front differential sensor signal inoperable. Basically bad front sensor. I get it replaced and drive off the lot and not even 2 miles away it goes off again. I’m taking it back tomorrow. But I ended up getting under the Jeep and inspected both front and back wires. Front looks perfectly fine. I unplug rear wire and there’s oil seeping into it. I’m assuming this may be where the short is happening. Now I’m assuming they’re just going to replace the entire axle at this point because replacing the sensor doesn’t change anything. Which I guess might as well go with as I’m currently still under warranty . One of the questions I have is if say I buy the Z automotive harness wouldn’t oil still be seeping into this sensor and still cause a short?

Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The Zauto bypass will ignore the sensor and tell computer theres no issue.

I dont blame you for getting the axle replaced but Id pott the sensor... otherwise maybe just get the bypass. Some folks are on multiple axles... same issue.

Best

Okay so I’m currently having this issue. “Service Axle Locker System” goes on frequently. I have a brand new 2021 JLU Rubicon literally only about 3 weeks old. Now my lockers are currently still working. I took it to the dealership they ruled it as as front differential sensor signal inoperable. Basically bad front sensor. I get it replaced and drive off the lot and not even 2 miles away it goes off again. I’m taking it back tomorrow. But I ended up getting under the Jeep and inspected both front and back wires. Front looks perfectly fine. I unplug rear wire and there’s oil seeping into it. I’m assuming this may be where the short is happening. Now I’m assuming they’re just going to replace the entire axle at this point because replacing the sensor doesn’t change anything. Which I guess might as well go with as I’m currently still under warranty . One of the questions I have is if say I buy the Z automotive harness wouldn’t oil still be seeping into this sensor and still cause a short?

JeepCAL

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The Zauto bypass will ignore the sensor and tell computer theres no issue.

I dont blame you for getting the axle replaced but Id pott the sensor... otherwise maybe just get the bypass. Some folks are on multiple axles... same issue.

Best
Yea I’m afraid of getting a whole new axle and it just happens again because obviously the actual issue hasn’t been resolved. I’m just getting impatient because I have a 3.5 metal cloak game changer and bilstien 8100s just sitting in my garage waiting to be put on but trying to stay under warranty till this is resolved. Thanks for the input!

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I don’t think you read my story. At 2097 miles on my 2021 Rubicon service axle locker system came up. 18 days at the dealership, front and rear axle replaced, front and rear actuator replaced, finally the wiring harness replaced 12 day short of the lemon law. That did the trick. It appears to be the wiring harness is now bad not the sensors in the axles. I put 250 miles on it the day I picked it up, no problems. The next weekend, which was last weekend I put on another 250 miles and no problems. I haven’t tried the lockers yet. So far so good.

Reactions: TJP

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I received my Z Locker OEM harnesses today, and they do not fit?!? The plug on the Z Locker OEM harness is different.

Yes, I ordered the correct harness from Z Automotive:https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/

See the following pictures:
Jeep Wrangler JL THE FIX FOR LOCKERS:  Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage 6DB0F5AB-1BAA-45F9-97E9-339B64083A94
Jeep Wrangler JL THE FIX FOR LOCKERS:  Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage BBFC96DF-BC56-489E-895F-FE5C866562BC
Jeep Wrangler JL THE FIX FOR LOCKERS:  Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage 858F5403-2EAC-4E65-83CB-DDD41B8D11CC

Just an update - The Z Locker plug fits fine, it fits a bit more snug than the stock plug because it seals better. I circled the seal in the picture below. Pushing it in gently does the trick:

Jeep Wrangler JL THE FIX FOR LOCKERS:  Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage 73DCB604-A7BB-4699-B595-3B48B52878BD

Last edited:

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Sorry, the post I made inside the other thread is easily missed and this is too important to a lot of you... so here it is.

DOETSCH OFFROAD

There are multiple failures that need addressed:

-Solenoid sensor fills with oil (causes ground faults)
-harness end gets oil in it (causes ground faults)
-internal wiring not fully/properly sheathed and will rub itself raw against the coupler inside the diff (causing ground faults)
-pins pulling loose from harness from overstretching it or poor initial production.

above issues cause the following:

-blinking locker lights
-service locker system message on DIC
-incorrect reading of locker status
-failure of one or both lockers

These issues are more prevalent on vehicles that have been modified/geared. However it can and has happened on low mile stock rigs as well.

Last night I was able to test the Z Locker Harness from ZAutomotive on my Gladiator and 3 other problematic JLs, all of which had varying causes, and different levels of the errors. All have been diagnosed at Jeep service as a vague "ground fault at diff"

My JT had fully failed. I endured all levels of the issue starting with the blinking lights, eventually followed by the svc locker error and finally full locker failure.

All 4 Jeeps immediately responded to the new harness. All lights went off. All lockers worked properly. All locker engaged/disengaged sensors worked properly. Full success.

"-super simple install - mimics the sensor circuit, tells the DTCM that the lockers are locked when they should be, and unlocked when they should be - no risk of damaging the DTCM. Same signaling, same electrically as the sensor it replaces. - system becomes more like the JK as the locker solenoid is on its own, feedback from the sensor is not mimicked but the DTCM can still sense a short or open to the solenoid circuit - same watertight connectors used as OEM. Fully potted and watertight. "

4 Jeeps is a small test sample, but 100% worked. I have scheduled in another 5 locals to perform the fix and will report my findings.

Again, the link to the fix is here... ZAutomotive ZLOCKER

ok...and discuss!!
I just plugged mine in and no luck. If my harness has the oil in it, does it need to be cleaned out first to get good contact?

Reactions: TJP

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I just plugged mine in and no luck. If my harness has the oil in it, does it need to be cleaned out first to get good contact?
It should be fine. Mine is literally oozing outside of the differential plug and still works great.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
It should be fine. Mine is literally oozing outside of the differential plug and still works great.
Was yours throwing a code? I'm wondering if mine might be a short somewhere? I'm getting code U0168 on my tazer CEL report.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
No codes. Have you tried clearing and then rebooting Tazer?

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @MojitoJLUR did you buy one or two harnesses?

I posted earlier in this thread how I narrowed down it was my front locker… so I only needed one.

Also that code you posted relates to losing contact to security gateway… id check your connection to taser and clear that cel.

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.