Sponsored

THE FIX FOR LOCKERS: Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
The Custom Jeep Builder

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
If you have a Tazer or tazer Mini, you can use that to be able to utilize lockers in 2wd or 4hi...but its not a standalone option merely by having this ZLocker OEM wiring. The wiring harness is only to fix the light and functionality issue.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
My light just started flashing today. Before getting this, I assume if I'm able to drive the JL normally, and no chirping whatsoever that means the locker isn't actually engaged, and it really is a faulty sensor?

Might it be a stupid idea to go to a parking lot, engage the lockers, and turn slowly to see if it does chirp to make sure it does engage and it's not a bigger issue?

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
My light just started flashing today. Before getting this, I assume if I'm able to drive the JL normally, and no chirping whatsoever that means the locker isn't actually engaged, and it really is a faulty sensor?

Might it be a stupid idea to go to a parking lot, engage the lockers, and turn slowly to see if it does chirp to make sure it does engage and it's not a bigger issue?
Jack up one tire slightly off the ground. put it in drive and inch forward. If only the tire in the air spins the lockers are not engaged. If the locker is engaged you slowly roll off the jack.
Most likely it is a faulty locker but I would be sure before driving it much more.

Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Jack up one tire slightly off the ground. put it in drive and inch forward. If only the tire in the air spins the lockers are not engaged. If the locker is engaged you slowly roll off the jack.
Most likely it is a faulty locker but I would be sure before driving it much more.
Ah genius. I'll do that. Thanks. Yea I'm assuming it's the faulty sensor, and the Z Automotive harness should fix the light blinking. But I'll verify the lockers do engage first before buying it.

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
Ah genius. I'll do that. Thanks. Yea I'm assuming it's the faulty sensor, and the Z Automotive harness should fix the light blinking. But I'll verify the lockers do engage first before buying it.
We had a faulty sensor as well, and the harness is a great fix.

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
My rear axle locker light has been flashing for about a month now. I took it to my local dealer and they said it was due to my aftermarket lights I have installed drawing too much charge off the battery. lol

My question to them was: "so If I remove my lights, the locker light will turn off?". Their reply: "Let me see what else we can find".

I couldn't even begin to get into it with them. I'm at the point where I don't even want to try pushing back with the dealer. I've ordered the harness, and hopefully, that solves the issue. I'm sure I'll be upgrading my axles at some point anyway.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Any updated experiences for those who started having the locker issues?
Did the Z auto cable keep it fixed so far?
Anyone hear any updates from FCA or plans to sell a sensor separately and hopefully updated to not fail so easily?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had mine "fixed" a couple months ago. This week I've had the warning come up three times.. Scheduled again to go back next week, with hopes they can fix all the bubbling paint... YEA!

Reactions: TJP

Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine "fixed" a couple months ago. This week I've had the warning come up three times.. Scheduled again to go back next week, with hopes they can fix all the bubbling paint... YEA!
Sorry to hear. Sounds like sensor going again.... they need to seal and pot them and make it available to buy separate.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hello fellow SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM Jeepers; Everyone needs to write an online report of this condition to www.NHTSA.gov. It’s quick easy and takes 5-10 mins. Help us all out by filing your report on this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association. They monitor complaints on vehicles and work with manufacturers to clear the problem. I reported this as drivetrain, electrical and other. When enough reports appear then the regulator helps the manufacturer figure out the problem and then they all get recalled that are affected.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hello fellow SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM Jeepers; Everyone needs to write an online report of this condition to www.NHTSA.gov. It’s quick easy and takes 5-10 mins. Help us all out by filing your report on this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association. They monitor complaints on vehicles and work with manufacturers to clear the problem. I reported this as drivetrain, electrical and other. When enough reports appear then the regulator helps the manufacturer figure out the problem and then they all get recalled that are affected.
It's not a safety problem, they won't care and you're just flooding a government (garbage) agency with useless info.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
It's not a safety problem, they won't care and you're just flooding a government (garbage) agency with useless info.
I work with federal regulators as part of my job. This is how recalls get started. If similar to a few other Jeep owners driving with the alert flickering for a few months eventually it locks in 2H. If this is acceptable to you and your family in the Jeep, ok. For me I bought this Jeep for recreational purposes. If I am on a freeway coming down the mountain where I live and the back end breaks lose because suddenly the lockers locked in a mountain turn at 65mph on the freeway, guess what you lose control game over. If completing a 10 min form unnerves or you don’t mind voiding your warranty putting in the Z locker then go for it.

Reactions: TJP

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I work with federal regulators as part of my job. This is how recalls get started. If similar to a few other Jeep owners driving with the alert flickering for a few months eventually it locks in 2H. If this is acceptable to you and your family in the Jeep, ok. For me I bought this Jeep for recreational purposes. If I am on a freeway coming down the mountain where I live and the back end breaks lose because suddenly the lockers locked in a mountain turn at 65mph on the freeway, guess what you lose control game over. If completing a 10 min form unnerves or you don’t mind voiding your warranty putting in the Z locker then go for it.
That's not how the system works, hasn't happened, and you wont void a warranty by plugging in a wiring harness. You probably do work for the federal government.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.