Sponsored

THE FIX FOR LOCKERS: Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazyer

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Built!
This issue showed up almost exactly 500 miles after my gear swap almost 3 months aga...and nobody could figure it out, including the dealer. it was a major bummer asw it kept me from hitting the trails I had built my rig for...you know, the kind that REQUIRE lockers :rock: :angry: :headbang:

On Sunday, Todd @JLRubiTron from Doetsch Off-Road, who did my build, texted me about this fix from Joe @ www.zautomotive.com - Thanks Todd! I appreciate all you do! I know you put a TON of time trying to get to the solution on this for all that were experiencing it!

I ordered it Monday morning and Samantha from Z Automotive got it out that day for me, with a 2 day delivery via FedEx...GREAT customer service!

The fact that I was in transit, currently in Breckenridge, CO, on a cross country trip...I had a really short window to get it...it was either get it fast or continue to wait and run my trip without lockers...

It literally took 15 secs to crawl under the rear of my jeep, disconnect the rear locker plug and put this inline...I only need one plug!

Voila! Lights gone, hit the rear locker locker switch...BAM, it worked! Turned the switch to Both front and rear...BAM it worked! Turned them off, yep BAM it worked!

Took it on a trail that night...and NOW my Lockers function as they should and I GET to start hitting some challenging trails and obstacles, the reason I bought and built the JLUR...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!
:turkey: :dance: :handsinair: :involve: :LOL:

My issues were:
  • Locker Switch would flash if I tried to engage, but rarely did and the Uconnect Offroad pages and dash showed they never did
  • The dash light for the locker would blink constantly
  • The rears would engage intermittently, maybe 10% - without any dash indication they WERE locked
  • The fronts...never!
Been on two trails so far...ALL IS GOOD!
Sponsored

Krazyer

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Built!
I received mine today, connected it about 15 minutes ago and bam!....Did not work. Still have the same error on the dash saying service lockers. Am I doing something wrong? The install seems pretty straight forward.

1595630456321.png
@Rubycon50 I might be off here, but I seem to remember my plug (the one in this pic, opposite of of where it plugs into the Rear Locker) having a tab (it didn't actually click into the harness, but thought there was something on that side) that was on the same side of where the wiring harness tab is on the Jeep Harness...is it possible that is in upside down?

This fixed mine immediately!

I would crawl under mine to confirm, but I'm parked outside and it's pouring right now...

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This issue showed up almost exactly 500 miles after my gear swap almost 3 months aga...and nobody could figure it out, including the dealer. it was a major bummer asw it kept me from hitting the trails I had built my rig for...you know, the kind that REQUIRE lockers :rock: :angry: :headbang:

On Sunday, Todd @JLRubiTron from Doetsch Off-Road, who did my build, texted me about this fix from Joe @ www.zautomotive.com - Thanks Todd! I appreciate all you do! I know you put a TON of time trying to get to the solution on this for all that were experiencing it!

I ordered it Monday morning and Samantha from Z Automotive got it out that day for me, with a 2 day delivery via FedEx...GREAT customer service!

The fact that I was in transit, currently in Breckenridge, CO, on a cross country trip...I had a really short window to get it...it was either get it fast or continue to wait and run my trip without lockers...

It literally took 15 secs to crawl under the rear of my jeep, disconnect the rear locker plug and put this inline...I only need one plug!

Voila! Lights gone, hit the rear locker locker switch...BAM, it worked! Turned the switch to Both front and rear...BAM it worked! Turned them off, yep BAM it worked!

Took it on a trail that night...and NOW my Lockers function as they should and I GET to start hitting some challenging trails and obstacles, the reason I bought and built the JLUR...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!
:turkey: :dance: :handsinair: :involve: :LOL:

My issues were:
  • Locker Switch would flash if I tried to engage, but rarely did and the Uconnect Offroad pages and dash showed they never did
  • The dash light for the locker would blink constantly
  • The rears would engage intermittently, maybe 10% - without any dash indication they WERE locked
  • The fronts...never!
Been on two trails so far...ALL IS GOOD!
Thank you for the positive feedback :like:

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
@Rubycon50 I might be off here, but I seem to remember my plug (the one in this pic, opposite of of where it plugs into the Rear Locker) having a tab (it didn't actually click into the harness, but thought there was something on that side) that was on the same side of where the wiring harness tab is on the Jeep Harness...is it possible that is in upside down?

This fixed mine immediately!

I would crawl under mine to confirm, but I'm parked outside and it's pouring right now...
I checked the pin orientation this morning and it’s in correctly and limited to one direction only. Good call though.

Sponsored

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
I checked the pin orientation this morning and it’s in correctly and limited to one direction only. Good call though.
mine also did not resolve the locker problem?
did but two z-locker plugs tried rear only and both front and read taser married and unmarried also reset system by unplugging both batteries to reset system? I did notice some oil in the rear plug when I removed the stock plug but did clean out both sides before connecting the z-locker plug?

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
did but two z-locker plugs tried rear only and both front and read taser married and unmarried also reset system by unplugging both batteries to reset system? I did notice some oil in the rear plug when I removed the stock plug but did clean out both sides before connecting the z-locker plug?
also when I look at the off road pages it shows front and rear locker are locked and they are not locked.

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I read your message and it's damn bad news
Well that really just means that I have a bad wiring loom somewhere between the fuse box and the connector. Once I fix that if I still have an electrical problem inside the pumpkin I can still use the ZAutomotive wire to bypass the errors. This whole deal just makes me want to replace these elockers with the air lockers from ARB...

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got my cable today.

A question arises: with yours, is the material that fills the "little box" (the black plastic square) all sticky and soft ?

EDIT : Z Automotive's response is normal :like:

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Custom Jeep Builder

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer

You did get the ZLOCKER OEM correct, not the ZLOCKER Controller?

Sponsored

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
I got my cable today.

A question arises: with yours, is the material that fills the "little box" (the black plastic square) all sticky and soft ?
Yes mine is also
You did get the ZLOCKER OEM correct, not the ZLOCKER Controller?
yes I did get two z-locker oem plugs

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
I've been chasing this issue for a long time on my 2018 JLUR. I'm thrilled to see this option available and I've ordered one today.

Both dealers I have seen on the issue are throwing parts at the problem and want to replace the rear axel. I've upgrade diff covers (no problem to swap) but also regeared...which I'm concerned the dealership will say I'm SOL if they even both to look vs just swapping axels. Even if they swamp axels under warranty I'm still not sure how to ask for "my old axel" to get regeared diff and eventually move that to the replacement axel.

Hopefully this Zlocker OEM will work and I don't have to navigate anything else with the dealerships.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine has flashed four time in the last two weeks. Went in yesterday and might get it back tomorrow. Will see.

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
We had the problem showing up last week on the rear, since we're regearded and not much is stock anymore I dind't bother taking it to the dealer and ordered the cable, should arrive by Friday so fingers crossed it works
Just hard to imagine that there's no aftermarket/OEM sensor available, they make it much easier to replace the sensor compared to the JK yet don't sell the actual sensor.

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
We had the problem showing up last week on the rear, since we're regearded and not much is stock anymore I dind't bother taking it to the dealer and ordered the cable, should arrive by Friday so fingers crossed it works
Just hard to imagine that there's no aftermarket/OEM sensor available, they make it much easier to replace the sensor compared to the JK yet don't sell the actual sensor.
I sent an email off to Dana to see when they will start selling the solenoid. No response yet a week later.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.