The dreaded JB freeze

lonz

First Name
Lonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order Jeep Wrangler JL
Several of us have quoted emails from our dealers that this is exactly what the factory is offering for the Jeeps stuck in JB due to the soft top shortage. This is a highly unusual situation. My dealer said the same thing when I first caught wind that Koon's was asking their customers if they can ship without the top and he said "the factory will never ship a vehicle if it wasn't complete". This is basically what your dealer and the area rep are saying.

2 days later I get an email stating that he was contacted by the factory asking if they can ship it without the soft top and that he would have to request the soft top through the process used for items that are "forgotten" at the factory.

Your dealer will likely tow the same line until the factory contacts him - if they contact him. I ordered through a high volume dealer in the Houston area and they may be working down the list of dealers trying to clear the most Jeep's they can off the lot with the fewest number of calls.
For anyone going this route, make sure to have your dealer complete and sign a "We Owe You" waiver that clearly indicates that they still owe you the Premium Soft Top. With this signed waiver, you'll be protected, from a legal standpoint. That's exactly what I'm going to do, if given the option to take delivery without the Soft Top (I ordered the Dual Top group).
Sponsored

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
chatAgent.png
Mitchell: Looking in on the vehicle information it looks like Vehicle has been built and is pending installation of additional equipment this is the stage when additional features or optional equipment packages are added to the vehicle.
chatEndUserMessage.png
Corey Mcluckie: Also there have been other people that have been contacted about jeep releasing their vehicle without the premium tops. And then the top being sent to dealership at a later date have you heard anything about that?
chatAgent.png
Mitchell: I have heard about this from other customers, I had inquired on this from our Brand Mentor team and I was advised that we will not be sending vehicles out incomplete. They would only leave the factory with the tops.
chatEndUserMessage.png
Corey Mcluckie: Ok thank you just following up. Any info how how much longer I may be waiting on a top?
chatAgent.png
Mitchell: No problem at all! The current information on the Premium Soft Top is that it is not slated to be available until Mid-March.

They may be saying that so they don't get people calling they want their jeep released.

When was this chat?

Alien2007

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jku
Right before I posted.

My dealer just called actually and said I could cancel my top and get my jeep released. I would be credited the money and could get a top full price when they are available.
Let me double check people are getting the option to get jeep without top and get it sent to dealer later for them.

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
What I was looking for was the timeline still Being mid March which is only a couple weeks away. See, Jeep says they will not send out.

ewaetzman

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JLU)
Ugh! Wish I never discovered this post... Just placed my order for a Rubicon in Granite Crystal with a premium black soft top. My dealer quoted me 4-6 weeks build time. Hopefully this issue will be resolved quickly and I'll have my Jeep by mid April.

Sponsored

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
What I was looking for was the timeline still Being mid March which is only a couple weeks away. See, Jeep says they will not send out.
It’s hard to tell with all of the different information coming from the same place (Jeep Chat). I was told last night that they are on hold until April. Previously, I was told mid-March. If you combine that with the chaotic shipping, then it’s a potentially long wait. But, the only consistent thing with Jeep Chat is their inconsistency.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
This is all so frustrating. Why is it so hard to get a straight answer on this?
They call it "production hell" for a reason. Jeep still seems do be doing better than Tesla ;)

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
I asked my dealer about this last night and he thought it was possible to ship sans soft top. I’ll find out today. If that is the case, then maybe we decide to skip the soft top altogether and order later.
Oh no, wouldn't want to start the Third Time's the Charm club!

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
chatAgent.png
Mitchell: Looking in on the vehicle information it looks like Vehicle has been built and is pending installation of additional equipment this is the stage when additional features or optional equipment packages are added to the vehicle.
chatEndUserMessage.png
Corey Mcluckie: Also there have been other people that have been contacted about jeep releasing their vehicle without the premium tops. And then the top being sent to dealership at a later date have you heard anything about that?
chatAgent.png
Mitchell: I have heard about this from other customers, I had inquired on this from our Brand Mentor team and I was advised that we will not be sending vehicles out incomplete. They would only leave the factory with the tops.
chatEndUserMessage.png
Corey Mcluckie: Ok thank you just following up. Any info how how much longer I may be waiting on a top?
chatAgent.png
Mitchell: No problem at all! The current information on the Premium Soft Top is that it is not slated to be available until Mid-March.

They may be saying that so they don't get people calling they want their jeep released.
This mirrors what my dealer continues to say. I contacted my salesman again today based on this new idea saying the dealer could submit a claim to get the soft top after the fact. He contacted the Jeep/FCA district manager (again) who reinforced that they could ship it hardtop only, credit the difference of dual but I would have to buy the soft at full price later. Under no circumstance would it ship as incomplete (dual top status, no soft). I don’t think it’s impossible that there isn’t an under the radar process going on for some dealers. But I would rather the factory deal with a storage problem and me wait another couple weeks for a complete order than have to fight many weeks of hassle or issues. I can see this after the fact shipment easily becoming an even bigger train wreck if it indeed is happening. Future thread: Softop ‘hard’ship- the struggle is real!

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
So did they ship yours without the top? I still can’t see it, sorry. What are they going to do say “hey Johnny go find this Jeep in the pile outside, move the other 100 that are in the way then put them back” lol

Sponsored

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Mine is "in shipping" as of today, sans soft top, per Jeep Chat.

ETA is supposedly Mar 1-5, which seems super fast, unless Koons has their own teleportation system too...

Edit: Which means I miss out on my golden ticket by 1-5 days... :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
This mirrors what my dealer continues to say. I contacted my salesman again today based on this new idea saying the dealer could submit a claim to get the soft top after the fact. He contacted the Jeep/FCA district manager (again) who reinforced that they could ship it hardtop only, credit the difference of dual but I would have to buy the soft at full price later. Under no circumstance would it ship as incomplete (dual top status, no soft). I don’t think it’s impossible that there isn’t an under the radar process going on for some dealers. But I would rather the factory deal with a storage problem and me wait another couple weeks for a complete order than have to fight many weeks of hassle or issues. I can see this after the fact shipment easily becoming an even bigger train wreck if it indeed is happening. Future thread: Softop ‘hard’ship- the struggle is real!
Agree, totally! This will absolutely be a train wreck. You know how it goes after you sign they basically forget about you.

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
74F5A26C-BD87-4EE5-89D5-BF3E2EFCE47A.jpeg
04CD2D41-BB61-4BA5-A47E-420A63C929D2.jpeg
I Stopped by a yard today found a lot of JLs, one Rubicon. Man the JL looks so good I know I shouldn’t of stopped there. There was also a truck unloading five more the driver told me they’re so busy he has to drive all the way to the factory after his dump. Cmon JB status.....please!

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like my dealer has convinced Jeep to send my soft top separate as well. Still waiting on an ETA. Now hopefully this does not delay my soft top from getting here.