The dreaded aux battery

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Aux battery took a dump today. Found a local duracell 220 cca exact fit. Front wheel off, lowered on jack, I had already modified the liner to come out simply for other wiring needs.
From opening garage door upon return from bulbs and batteries to drive out to test. 44 minutes.
I had already put a 920 amp Odessey battery 9 mths ago.
Going thru the fender and replacing the aux battery was just as simple as the main battery.
Lesson to possibly take from this, disconnect at the top and let her rip thru the fender well as opposed to the video going in from the top.

Ftr, I wanted to upgrade both batteries, above the battery the warranty would have installed sonno dealer trips were needed.
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I agree it is easier to do the fender removal method. I haven't had to change the aux battery yet but once I unbolted the box holding it just so I could get better access to run some wires through the firewall. I prefer to avoid fiddling with the fuse box.

It's relatively easy to remove the fender. Just undo four bolts and one plastic push fastener and the fender can be removed with the liner intact (don't forget to unclip wiring harness). The only downside is one or two of 10 retainer clips may break so have some spares on hand.

Edit:

The part number for the fender retainer clips is 68395634AA.

Last edited:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I had already modified the liner to come out simply for other wiring needs.
Appreciate your post. You also have me interested in how you modified your fender liner. Any pictures/details available?

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Appreciate your post. You also have me interested in how you modified your fender liner. Any pictures/details available?
No pictures until it comes off again. I simply spread the liner away from trim piece and slipped a small tiny screwdriver in and broke the back of the hole the rivet passes thru. Once the liner was out I just slotted the back of the holes in liner. Now it pulls out and slides back in after taking the other fasteners out.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
No pictures until it comes off again. I simply spread the liner away from trim piece and slipped a small tiny screwdriver in and broke the back of the hole the rivet passes thru. Once the liner was out I just slotted the back of the holes in liner. Now it pulls out and slides back in after taking the other fasteners out.
Thank you! I'm going to look into this idea.
Sponsored