millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So, this is an honest question and I would like to have a discussion and get feedback from the community here.

I have owned a few Jeep’s over the last 10 years and never done any off-roading. Work, etc.. always got in the way. My wife is about to retire and we are staring to look into getting out there but there is one major underlying question...

What do you all do about bathrooms while out on the trail, this is especially a question from my wife for the women on here?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I always try to evacuate #2 before hitting the trail. Keep a big stack of napkins, a couple of travel packs of wet wipes, and a roll of TP in your Jeep. If you have to do #2 on the trail, just be courteous and go further off the trail than you do for #1. Watch for snakes.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
So, this is an honest question and I would like to have a discussion and get feedback from the community here.

I have owned a few Jeep’s over the last 10 years and never done any off-roading. Work, etc.. always got in the way. My wife is about to retire and we are staring to look into getting out there but there is one major underlying question...

What do you all do about bathrooms while out on the trail, this is especially a question from my wife for the women on here?

If there are no restrooms around in the back country you should follow the backpacking rules of "Leave on Trace".

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/leave-no-trace.html

Dig a cat hole bury and cover the waste but pack out the TP. I use zip lock bags and a Nalgene bottle for my used TP. In areas where you can leave nothing behind like Mt. Whitney in CA you need to use something like a Biffy bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Biffy-Bag-Pocket-Disposable-Classic/dp/B00HN2Q1BA

If you search on-line for female backpacking sanitation you can find a lot of hgelpful information and items to use.

https://www.shedreamsofalpine.com/blog/backpacking-hygiene

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Misleading title. I was expecting discussion on power washing the underside of your Jeep. :LOL:
lol.. I hear you. I was just surprised I couldn’t really find a thread for this. Maybe it’s not as big an issue as I thought but my wife is not super inclined to just going in the woods 😀

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i tend to always and a small shovel and some TP. i try and dig atleast a 10-12" hole and make sure to water your #2 down before covering as it helps break it down quicker. (so they say) and pack out your T.P. always stay 150 ft from any steam or water source.. if your worried about digging that make human waste bags. you can get them with TP and a wet wipe. rather inexpensive and always good to have. i try to keep one or two in my jeep and my work truck. you never know when you might get the fear. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Restop-Solid-Liquid-Waste-Bag/dp/B002L1J4P8

Deleted member 59098

I was listening in to a CB conversation on a recent trip. Human waste is a big factor in causing trail closures. One very knowledgeable guy says to mimic what rafting companies utilize. They seem to be the most concerned out of all the outdoors people.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
There was a thread awhile ago about how carrying a shovel. This is why there is at least Kleenex and my folding shovel in the jeep. A little paper in a hole with some bile buried 10 inches is not going to turn the table of the environment or cause a massive green house effect. The tree huggers can go hug themselves. I'm done with the greenpeace freaks.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I was listening in to a CB conversation on a recent trip. Human waste is a big factor in causing trail closures. One very knowledgeable guy says to mimic what rafting companies utilize. They seem to be the most concerned out of all the outdoors people.
If anyone finds anything i've been "dooing" they were out there try to do the same thing and dug deep in the soft sand.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My wife can squat without issues.

For #1 do it away from any running water.

For #2 we carry dog doo-doo bags, wet-wipes and TP, all biodegradable.

We then treat #2 just like our dog crapping. It gets picked up and tied off in a biodegradable doo-doo bag with the wet-wipe/TP and dropped in the nearest port-a-potty or dog-doo-doo bin.

Leave no trace. Land closures due to shit is very real.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There is little that I can add here as folks have all described the solutions for men and women and boys and girls.

Just follow the Leave No Trace philosophy and, when needed, do your business as humans and every other animal have done their business for millennia.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There was a thread awhile ago about how carrying a shovel. This is why there is at least Kleenex and my folding shovel in the jeep. A little paper in a hole with some bile buried 10 inches is not going to turn the table of the environment or cause a massive green house effect. The tree huggers can go hug themselves. I'm done with the greenpeace freaks.
I am in 100% agreement with this. Stay away from water sources. Dig a nice deep hole. Do your business. All will be good with the world. Obviously, there are some areas that are “packout” only. This is normally do to the “special” ecosystem (biological soils, alpine tundra, etc). Those rules must be followed.

all that said,

last time I checked, there isn’t a single damn Mule Deer, whitetail, elk, moose, Bear, or Bison digging a hole or packing out. They just go wherever they want And leave it there. Millions of them, day after day after day. Shame on them.
Sponsored