Sponsored

The "Dirty Money" Jeep Build

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Hello fellow jeepers!

In November 2018, I purchased my first Wrangler and picked up my 2018 JLU Sport Manual in Black! I wanted to build my jeep and being a college student still, I wanted to save as much money as possible so my jeep came as stock as possible with the exception of floor mats, a hard top, and tint package (dealer accidentally added so freebie for me!), I plan to daily drive this jeep but want to turn it into the ultimate overland machine! I have done a few modifications and am slowly getting ready to take it on its first maiden voyage once the snow is gone in northern MN.

The first mod that I did was simply a practical mod, adding power door locks. This was pretty straight forward once I figured out the door actuator part number, it was a simple part swap and then I wired it up to a Viper lock system. If you want to look into doing this yourself, it cost me about $370 dollars and I was able to wire into the factory harness so the doors come off just as simple! (http://www.myjlproject.com/blog/power-lock-install-for-jl-wrangler-sport/)

After the door locks, I picked up a Rough Country 2.5" lift (springs, not the spacer lift), and upgraded to the Fox 2.0 IFP Nitrogen shocks and added the rough country adjustable lower control arms to get my caster back into factory spec. After finding out I had a bad OEM stabilizer (leaking fluid), I got that taken care of via warranty!

For my first overland mod, I installed the Maximus-3 Platform mount with the long Rhino Rack Pioneer platform, and I couldn't resist the sweet side ladder! That was an easy install, although intimidating to drill holes in my hardtop and is extremely sturdy! Also picked up and ARB awning and am still deciding on a rooftop tent! I followed that with a set of Smittybilt seat covers with the MOLLE system on the back and the tailgate MOLLE system as well. I'm trying to do what I can to ward off the road salt gremlins that MN is famous for. I just installed a Smittybilt XRC front bumper and still cant make up my mind on a rear bumper/hinge reinforcement or bumper/tire carrier combo, any input would be great! I will be adding a set of either 35" Nitto RidgeGrapplers or BFG KO2s, cant decide yet.

I custom built a drawer system that has added some good storage space into the rear of the jeep for tools and roadside equipment for now and i will eventually add sliders to the deck for a fridge of some type. Also custom, I added some brackets for the front of the roof rack for a light bar, well I actually run two light bars (single row, spot beam) and have the Go Rhino dual cube mounts for the A-pillars. All the electronics are powered off of a 6-gang switch box that I had laying around (no name, not a s-pod).

In the near future I plan to get a winch, thinking a Smittybilt 9.5k, so I feel more comfortable going out with one vehicle and a Hi-lift jack.

What else can you think of that you would consider a necessity for a shorter overland trip (2-3 days) other than camping gear which I have plenty of?
Sponsored

callipygian

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimitied Sport
Ive been trying to do the door locks and not having an easy time at it. Did you ever see a video for it"
Sponsored