The day I decided to buy a Jeep

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Early part of summer break. The wife had loaded up the AWD Highlander with the kids and headed to her parents’ house for two weeks. Our family vacation was still another month away. Meanwhile I was going to be an office bound bachelor for a couple of weeks.

Friday came around and I decided to take an impromptu trip to the holy waters, the river from where, starting more than a century ago, the rainbow trout of California were first exported to Michigan, England, Argentina and New Zealand. I rushed to the local Enterpise for a last minute car rental and could not get a pickup truck. I was stuck with a Nissan Altima.

I’d been down the road to the McCloud River for many years in my old truck, the truck I sold when the kids got too big to fit in the back seat, the truck that was replaced by the Highlander. There were going to be some tricky spots on the road where I knew I would be dragging the undercarriage of that Altima but I figured I am halfway decent at picking a line and could make it all the way.

About an hour down the dirt road into the canyon a lady in an uphill bound Subaru Outback stopped and opened her driver side window. She said she had to turn around about a 100 yards downhill from the our current spot because of a deeply rutted section. I thanked her for the tip and kept on driving. By the time I got to the washout my foolish smugness vanished.

Damn! I drove back uphill for an hour and then got to another access road to the river. But there a pile of rocks was stacked up on the road and a sign indicated that the road was closed. I had to hike downhill another hour on the closed road to get to the river. By this time I had burned up three hours just trying to get my fishing line to make first contact with the water. I managed to fish for only a few hours before the sun disappeared and I had to hike back uphill.

But while I was down there on the stream, standing on a huge boulder, looking like Brad Pitt (actually those scenes in the movie were played by a body double named Jason Borger who is a fly fishing pro) I noticed a nymph on the banks. Not a nymph as in the larval stage of a mayfly but a nude young maiden who was bathing. Her dusty hiking clothes hanging from a tree branch. I could feel the coldness of the glacial waters rushing past my ankles even though they were covered in neoprene and Goretex. From a distance with my middle aged eyes, the effects of river’s icy caresses upon the young lady’s body were clearly visible. I turned around so that my back was facing her, hoping to afford her some modesty. In case she noticed me she would believe that maybe I had not seen her.

After working that spot on the river for a few minutes I decided enough time had passed that surely she must have dressed and continued on her way along the Pacific Coast Trail. I was wrong. She had finished bathing and was fully dressed but she had not moved on. She was still there though by this time her male backpacking companion had caught up to her and he was now bathing. Ne’er before had I ever witnessed so hirsute a form. The young man was a verifiable Sasquatch.

It was later in the afternoon and the dark shadow of the deep canyon walls meant that already the air temperature had dropped by 10 degrees even though sun was still far from official sunset. It was time to start fishing back upstream and walk the road back to the car. It was dark by the time I made it halfway up the road. I was breathing so heavily that I almost didn’t hear the rattlesnake in the brush as I walked past it.

As I packed up and hastily threw my gear in the trunk knowing that I had a long drive home, I imagined that the washed out road I had abandoned early in the day was only going to get worse in the years to come, as the pattern of federal spending on backcountry roads appeared to be headed in the downward direction. About five minutes after I started driving a bear ran across the road and I nearly totaled the rental car in an area without cell phone service. Phew. That was close.

Alone on a dark two lane road a man’s mind can wander into the realm of the philosophical. Or at least he believes that is the case when in reality it is merely a lazy stream of sub consciousness. Hmm .... 12 hours round trip driving on the pavement. 2 hours round trip driving down and back an impassable dirt road. 2 hours round trip of hiking to the stream. 4 hours of actual fishing. I must be crazy. If . only . that . road . had . been . passable . in . a . rented . Nissan . Altima. Aaargh!!!!

The hours of anticipation that had been building into crescendo right up til the moment that I passed the mom and kids in the Subaru. But no. It took another two hour slog after that moment before I made contact with water. But the hazy thoughts eventually took form culminating in epiphany. Dear God in Heaven, I knew exactly, a divine vision, a crystal clear picture of what is lacking in my life at that very moment ...

... a Wrangler.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What the hell did I just read?
50 shades of grey?
50 shades of midlife crisis.

But I’m glad that’s resolved all in a day’s work.
Most people spend a long time in perpetual misery.

A Wrangler is usually always the answer.. or a Porsche.

Last edited:

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
The day I decided to buy a jeep was a little different It was 2008. Cadillac had a commercial with a good looking woman that asked when you turn your car on does it return the favor. My wife decided she had to have a Cadillac STS so I found her one. I took her Tahoe sold a 4x4x Suburban I was driving at the time and picked here up a very nice STS. After a few weeks I noticed her many times slipping back into the Tahoe............

Wait a minute what's up with that? About 3 months in she mad some comments about the Cadillac being more difficult with the Kids ( it was 2 Door) and she did not like being low to the ground. (Let me explain it is out of character for my wife she is low maintenance and generally not one to complain bout such things. She just found out she just liked the Tahoe she came out of much better than that STS)

Well the STS does not work for me and the Suburban was gone so.......... My next words were take the Tahoe back I will go get what I want. She said your not getting rid of my STS. She was wrong.

It came down to a silver Rubicon or a Yellow sport. Well for 3 reasons we bought the sport. Resale was not a concern as I planed to have it a long time, the Sport had power windows and it was a blank canvas and for me much of the fun was making it mine. I still have that JK. It now sits on 37's, dana 60 rear 44 front, arb air lockers, beadlocks, Ripp supercharger etc. Never though about a different Jeep all though I did say if they ever built the right factory V8 I would have to have one. Well fast forward to 2021. They are building it, dang it. Well now I'm selling the CJ and have ordered the 392. I will keep my 08. Have lots of great Memory's and been some amazing places in that Mini Van powered jeep and Just don't think I'm done with it yet it will still have its place.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The day I decided to buy a jeep was a little different It was 2008. Cadillac had a commercial with a good looking woman that asked when you turn your car on does it return the favor. My wife decided she had to have a Cadillac STS so I found her one. I took her Tahoe sold a 4x4x Suburban I was driving at the time and picked here up a very nice STS. After a few weeks I noticed her many times slipping back into the Tahoe............

Wait a minute what's up with that? About 3 months in she mad some comments about the Cadillac being more difficult with the Kids ( it was 2 Door) and she did not like being low to the ground. (Let me explain it is out of character for my wife she is low maintenance and generally not one to complain bout such things. She just found out she just liked the Tahoe she came out of much better than that STS)

Well the STS does not work for me and the Suburban was gone so.......... My next words were take the Tahoe back I will go get what I want. She said your not getting rid of my STS. She was wrong.

It came down to a silver Rubicon or a Yellow sport. Well for 3 reasons we bought the sport. Resale was not a concern as I planed to have it a long time, the Sport had power windows and it was a blank canvas and for me much of the fun was making it mine. I still have that JK. It now sits on 37's, dana 60 rear 44 front, arb air lockers, beadlocks, Ripp supercharger etc. Never though about a different Jeep all though I did say if they ever built the right factory V8 I would have to have one. Well fast forward to 2021. They are building it, dang it. Well now I'm selling the CJ and have ordered the 392. I will keep my 08. Have lots of great Memory's and been some amazing places in that Mini Van powered jeep and Just don't think I'm done with it yet it will still have its place.
So the commercial was telling the truth?

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I laughed, I cried, it was an emotional roller coaster. ;) :clap:

Get that Wrangler brother. You'll be glad you did.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I laughed, I cried, it was an emotional roller coaster. ;) :clap:

Get that Wrangler brother. You'll be glad you did.
I did. Dec 29, 2019. Went to an off-road recreation area shortly after and had a blast. Took the family on summer trip in Yosemite and eastern Sierras last summer. Jeep was great, even at 9,000 feet with the naturally aspirated 3.6 V6. Kicked up plenty of dirt and rattled our jaws on washboard roads. Not looking back.
Sponsored