Sponsored

The Cost of Trading Up

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The benefits of trading up , as I see it, can be calculated like this ;
Costs that can be deducted from cost of new vehicle are also expenses that you would have to pay to maintain and/or upgrade your trade-in.

Example : Tires, brakes, battery
Warranty: cost of warranty after 3 year, 36,000 and 5 year, 60,000 Powertrain expires.
Depreciation
Desirable "add ons" for Safety and convenience : back up camera, LED headlights, actual structural safety improvement ( priceless) , folding windshield, just a few we "know" are coming. The cost of adding camera, LEDs are not minor.

So, if Brakes, battery, tires are $1,000, lifetime unlimited warranty $3,000, LEDs and camera $1,000 ( Mopar, not aftermarket for warranty and LEDs), thats $5,000 "value" you are getting with new JL.

These are approximations ; cut in half, still $ you "save" on new vehicle.
Of course, the equity and other add-ons you have in your JK are a big factor. Being able to transfer add-ons from the JK to the JL is a big plus, will save a lot.

Interest rates, MSRP, higher insurance costs on a new vehicle (insurance might actually be less, if crash tests, improved lighting are a positive factor) are considerations, unknown at this point.

I'm actually happy with my 2015 2 dr ; 3:73 gear ratio, hard top, A/C . Manual transmission.
32" tires, receiver hitches front and rear ; a bunch of DIY convenience mods, easily transferred or redone. Hoping "No Carpet" is "standard". Bed lining, or BedTred, is a $500 expense. If standard on base, that's another "hidden" savings.

You get the point ; it's those expenses you WON'T have, that get factored into cost of new vehicle. Figuring them out helps me rationalize what I "want", by calling it "need".
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Now go try to have this same conversation with your wife...

(I have good leverage with my wife, since my WK is such a lemon. She's told me numerous times to trade this thing in)

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
man if you're not, you should be a politician!!!:cwl::cwl:

chuckoman

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
I'm , in lets do it ,

chuckoman

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
can anyone tell me , I am 6 feet 7 , hearing that JL will be set up for more head room (because of windshield) any thoughts?

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes all else being the same it's a good way of looking at the cost of trading up. Smart on FCA if it's true that most JK parts will be swappable to the JL. Now let's hope there aren't too many first model year issues that throw a wrench into it all.
Sponsored