DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, for anyone interested, Westgate Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Plainfield, Indiana, just west of Indianapolis, has a JLUR with a manual transmission in their inventory, according to their web site. That's a rare bird, so if someone wanted to test drive it or snag one without waiting, there it is. If I remember correctly, it may be Hella Yella.

They are a VERY good dealer. I'd recommend talking to George Harrell. Tell him I sent you and he'll take very good care of you. (He'd do that anyway.)
Sponsored

805Dirtdog

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
Hi Brett, I think you'll be very pleased, it's got a lot of nice features.
I ended up going to a dealer just south of Sacramento...

Bob
I can tell you from experience 8, you’re gonna love that manual trans too. The JK stick was more “truckish” compared to this new Japanese one. This one’s more like a sports car. Ton of fun to drive. The only slight negative is if you’re driving uphill in 2nd you have to rev it out because it gets a little flat from 2nd to 3rd. Don’t let it discourage you because on flat road it’s fine. Also, there’s positives. With the higher gear ratio I definitely notice better fuel consumption than my last JK. 4th is direct and 5th and 6th are both overdrives. Overall the JL is much more comfortable and has so many nice features you’re gonna love it.
Thanks for the replies! We are definitely a little nervous without test driving one, so I have read through this thread trying to get an idea. The fact that it's a little more refined makes me think the boss will like it.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I had to custom order my JLUR as my dealer couldn't find one with a manual trans AND the options I wanted in a 300 mi radius. I've been driving manual trans because it forces me to pay attention more, and I like having full control of the gears on the trail. I'll echo the statements of others- the new transmission is more sports car like, a bit easier to shift and drive. My only complaint is going from 1 to R- if you're doing a lot of back and forth (like parking, for example) I feel like it takes a hair too long for those gears to engage and disengage,

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
You meant to say, "Especially with the manual being a $2000 discount...."
Correct! Lo Siento! Screw automatics! A Jeep should be a manual!

BacavilleJL

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator, 0rdered 2023 GC
Occupation
Maintenance Director
We have our first manual Jeep. Our last JK's were both autos.
I hated it during the break-in period, but now it's a blast to drive!

jeep.jpeg

Sponsored

Pandy316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F250, 2016 Mustang GT
Why wouldn't you drive a manual jeep? #savethemanuals

Pandy316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F250, 2016 Mustang GT
YES! I love having complete control over the vehicle. My husband told me I was crazy for ordering a stick and told me I would be sick of it after a month...wrong! I love it more each day, even with all of the crazy traffic where we live! LOL
And guess who takes it out on errands every time he spots it sitting in the driveway... Yep, the guy who said he "isn't a Jeep person" and thinks they are "not practical".

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
We have two Jeeps: a automatic Grand Cherokee Overland (our ‘family’ driver) and a manual JLU Sport S (‘my Jeep’).
The GC is a wonderful SUV: heated/ventilated seats; safety packages; huge sun roof; automatic everything. I love sitting in it, dropping it into drive, point the wheel and off we go. It’s a great ride....but that’s just it: I’m sitting in it and steering it, riding in it.
But, man, do I love driving...driving...the Wrangler. Hands on, involved with shifting, yeah, driving. After it was broken in, shifting has been smooth and easy. It was a gas driving in deep snow this past winter; I’m looking forward to this winter as well. I don’t do heavy off road work, but what off roading I have done has been easy enough with the manual.
Manual for the win for me.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Best way to prevent people from driving my Jeep!!

#ManualTransmissionsMatter
Exactly, plus while ymmv, for me, 95% of the time, I'm alone, 4.9% of the time I'm driving with some one, 0.04% I'm a passenger in their cars and 0.01% I'm a passenger in my own vehicle

Nearly 20k miles on my truck in almost 8 months, you do the math (also hope to actually get a Jeep already)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
do you have a JL with manual transmission? If you do, please say so and maybe tell why you still like to drive with a stick.
I’m just curious how many of us are left. It was very difficult to find my JLU with Manual transmission. Most dealers said they would not carry them for stock, that it had to be ordered.
10 years ago was the same story with my FJ Cruiser.
I love to be in full control of the gears. I guess I like driving for the sake of driving. A car to me is much more than just a mean of transportation. Just like I love analog watches, and mechanical ones even more.
And by the way, I really like the JL transmission. I believe it is Japanese.
I go wheeling with a few guys who have manuals. We hit some pretty hard trails with rock gardens and gullies. I call them "chatter boxes" because the trannies/clutches are constantly chattering as they work them climbing over obstacles, not to mention stalling. You couldn't pay me enough to get one in a Jeep. Now in any other car I'm game! But rock crawling in a Jeep with stick is no fun IMO.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just took delivery of my manual yesterday. This is my first Wrangler and I just wanted a manual. Love it so far

D71E5C9C-1465-4590-A56A-4C17649178BB.jpeg

89019D68-93C8-44A4-A08F-61961E4231C8.jpeg
I think I'm in love.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Best way to prevent people from driving my Jeep!!

#ManualTransmissionsMatter
This is the best way to prevent people from driving your jeep :)

howaboutno_drEvil-5ae79b4cba617700365c5c97.jpg
Sponsored