Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I just got my new JLU today. 6th Jeep for me, all standard. I've only had it for 24 hours, but so far I'm not liking the drive. The gear shifting feels more like driving a Mazda than a Jeep. Am I the only one not totally enthused by this transmission?
I've never driven a JK standard but I have a YJ and a TJ. This is completely different. Much more like a car. I like it, but I can understand others who don't.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Had the top off today for the first time. Forgot what gear I was in and noticed i was doing 33 in 2nd gear! yikes! Hope i didn't damage anything. COuldn't hear the engine sound through all the wind.
Nothing would get damaged by that.

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I just got my new JLU today. 6th Jeep for me, all standard. I've only had it for 24 hours, but so far I'm not liking the drive. The gear shifting feels more like driving a Mazda than a Jeep. Am I the only one not totally enthused by this transmission?
I felt the same way for the first week. For me it was the super light clutch. Almost felt like it had no feel. I've gotten used to the clutch feel and actually like the way the shifter feels with a nice positive engagement.

Real Jeeps have 3 pedals!

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
2019 JLUR 3.6 6spd here.

First gear seems WAY too high geared, especially with this no-torque engine (sorry, I'm used to pickups with big blocks, hemi, etc)

Literally thinking about re-gearing to 4.88 and keeping the stock 33's. I got stuck in deep wet snow last weekend, in 4HI it doesn't have enough power to get the wheels spinning in 1st and reverse without slipping the clutch a TON, and in 4LO it's so damn low geared reverse is almost worthless. You need wheel speed in snow when stuck.

Hell even starting out from a dead stop on any surface not named pavement, I have to slip the clutch way too much in my opinion to get it going in first. It just seems too high geared for my taste.

Anyone else having these issues? Maybe I need to shutup and order a supercharger? haha

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hahhah omg. you are literally the FIRST guy to complain that the gearing was too high and not too low in first. most have whined about it only going like 8mph in first. the problem is you are used to the off-idle big block torque that you are just not going to get with a 220 cubic inch mill.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
hahhah omg. you are literally the FIRST guy to complain that the gearing was too high and not too low in first. most have whined about it only going like 8mph in first. the problem is you are used to the off-idle big block torque that you are just not going to get with a 220 cubic inch mill.
HAHA I know. I'm also used to a granny gear 1st. This is like driving a car. So strange to me.
Need......more......power......

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it IS like driving a car. i came from IH scouts with v8 power and granny lows.. and an fj40 with a tractor motor that hit peak torque at 1800rpm. this is a car motor...takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, its good. but yeah, id like a hemi in mine. theyd sell a sht-ton if they put a 5.7 in them. but the govt mpg
rules prohibit it without a corporate penalty

Last edited:

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
it IS like driving a car. i came from IH scouts with v8 power and granny lows.. and an fj40 with a tractor motor that hit peak torque at 1800rpm. this is a car motor...takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, its good. but yeah, id like a hemi in mine. theyd sell a sht-ton if they put a 5.7 in them. but the govt mph rules prohibit it without a corporate penalty
Man I hear ya, a 5.7 would be poetic perfection in a wrangler. I saw an interview with one of the heads of FCA, said a hemi absolutely fits, the problem is there is not enough space in front of the engine for a crumple zone sufficient enough to pass safety regs. Bummer.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ive got a 2019 ram 1500 with the hemi.. and every time i drive it i think what fun it would be to have that motor in the rubicon with the manual. i may have to get a challenger one day to to have both the hemi and the stick.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
ive got a 2019 ram 1500 with the hemi.. and every time i drive it i think what fun it would be to have that motor in the rubicon with the manual. i may have to get a challenger one day to to have both the hemi and the stick.
I replaced my Challenger R/T with a stick for a Hellcat with the auto. Missed the stick so much that I now have a JLR with one. I am now at peace with the world.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ohhhhhhhhh. nice. but id get a hellcat with the stick if i could. then again, turn off the traction control and you smoke the tires. had the challengers tremec t56 tranny in a 69 camaro with a warmed up 96 LT1 vette motor in it and 4:10s.
just melted the rubber if i got on it too much in first. no computer sht in that car.
a lot of fun. .i think id like an R/T with a stick. next time.

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Been reading up on dog box transmissions lately... Obviously they're more popular in race cars, but anybody ever use one for off roading? To me it seems like not needing to use th clutch and getting quicker shifts could be pretty nice for off roading if practical. Also curious if anybody makes any aftermarket gear boxes like this that would fit up to the 3.6...

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
Rookie question.

I can let clutch out on first and second no gas and she rolls along nicely. Again no gas just idle.

This is all good on engine right? This isn’t “lugging”?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Rookie question.

I can let clutch out on first and second no gas and she rolls along nicely. Again no gas just idle.

This is all good on engine right? This isn’t “lugging”?
That's not lugging. The engine is fine doing that. You'll hear and feel plenty of protest from the engine if you are lugging it.
Sponsored