Sponsored

The clutch gang!

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Haha, I'm aware it's not a Ferrari, none of my other cars have been Ferraris either :like:

It might not sound like much. The next time your sitting in your car, parked. Just punch the throttle so it jumps to 1500 rpm. Then imagine it doing that on its own while parking. Id be surprised if that wouldn't bother you, but to each their own.
You're correct.....it would bother me. Today I was driving my JL and I was attempting to get a similar experience to the one on the video. I couldn't.
Your correct; We are all driving new Jeeps and your correct also...these new jeeps should run.....well like a new jeep and it should not exhibit the unnecessary engine revving. Driving today brought me pleasure and I was able to reflect upon the simple joy of driving my jeep. Thinking about the engine revving....I thought "Yes, that would bother me too". If you can excuse my moment....of forgetting that we all have a reasonable expectation of good (decent) performance from these new jeeps....I will applaud you.
I hope this issue is resolved positively...after all we are all in this together in the jeep owners community. Let me know.
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Been driving a stick for 40 years , why stop now !! ;)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My son was born in 2018 (as was my JL). With any luck he'll some day learn manual on my JL and have it as his first car.

soloroadie

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Sahara
Every car I've owned has been a manual. I've been driving for almost 30 years and have had 7 cars, 2 Wranglers (1JK, 1 JL). My son is 17 now and drives my old JK. At first he was annoyed and frustrated. 9 months in and he finally told he will never want an auto. Also says real Wranglers are sticks!

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
main reason i ordered my 2019 Rubicon was the manual option...my last new truck built was a 2006 hummer h-3, 5 sp manual ...it's tough finding a truck or suv in manual that's good....i really did not want a pick up truck....the Rubicon was perfect replacement for my hummer....i test drove the 6 sp manual and thought it was great....looking forward to it's delivery date !!!
Congratulations....you will love the Rubicon. Many of the forum members dislike the 6 speed transmission and they complain that they never use 6th gear......But the Rubicon is “Geared” much lower than the non-Rubicon Jeeps and as a result.....that 6 speed manual transmission is PERFECTLY suited to the 3.6 liter motorIn the Rubicon. You will get full use of every gear in it. Welcome to the clutch gang !

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I just traded my auto 16 JK for my new 18 manual JL. Ive driven manual cars most of my life. I love it and wished i bought one when i got my jk shortly after doing it, so this time I made the leap and purchased a manual JL. However, ive never driven a manual off road before and have a few questions. Ive been reading a ton on tips and tricks with using lo range and all that. Looking forward to hitting the dirt.

But, ive read when/if going through water and mudd you dont want to hit the clutch when going through, which makes sense, but what happens if you get to a point where you are just spinning your tires and need to back up or stop. What then? What do you do when you get to a point where you arent advancing forward and you have to hit the clutch?

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
I need to start posting more on here..

I got mine delivered last October.

I love my stick but I am still learning how to drive it better everyday and only done light trailing so far.

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
All our cars are manuals. They're more fun to drive and I like the simplicity of it. I also find autos never shift when I would and e-shifts don't work well.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I just traded my auto 16 JK for my new 18 manual JL. Ive driven manual cars most of my life. I love it and wished i bought one when i got my jk shortly after doing it, so this time I made the leap and purchased a manual JL. However, ive never driven a manual off road before and have a few questions. Ive been reading a ton on tips and tricks with using lo range and all that. Looking forward to hitting the dirt.

But, ive read when/if going through water and mudd you dont want to hit the clutch when going through, which makes sense, but what happens if you get to a point where you are just spinning your tires and need to back up or stop. What then? What do you do when you get to a point where you arent advancing forward and you have to hit the clutch?
Water is not an issue, mudd is not an issue, muddy water is the one to avoid, but its not the end of the world if you have to shift while the transmission is submerged in it. Actually muddy water is the worst regardless of the transmission. I went thru a very deep and long track of muddy water with my FJ and all kind of bearings failed soon after, from the alternator, the belt idler to wheel bearings.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Love my manual transmission. It’s one of the best transmissions I’ve driven on any vehicle.

It is perfectly geared for the Rubicon. I use(d) all 6 gears for sure. This was on the stock 33s. Would probably be true on 35s. Since jumping to 37s, I have only used 6th gear a few times on flat highway at 70mph.

Still...love it and would never ever ever get anything else. I was worried about it not being direct attached shifted (it’s a cabled shifter), if I would still “feel” the engine. I must say I love it, it shifts so smooth.

The BEST upgrade I did for the manual was to change the exhaust. I barely look at the tachometer. For me it’s all feel + sound. The stock exhaust is so dang quiet, I had to get something louder. I put in a magnaflow cat-back and now the engine and I communicate perfectly with each other.

My least favorite thing is the clutch. It’s too soft for my taste. I’m curious if anyone in the clutch gang has figured out a way to make it more stiff? It’s so soft, it just makes it so easy to just drop it, because you have such little resistance/response. I would love some suggestions on how to mod the clutch to make more firm. Let me know please!
Sponsored