First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 2012 Acura TL, 2016 F150 SCREW, 2016 JKU Rubi
Occupation
CNC Machinist -> Curtiss-Wright
For those of you running 37's with the 6 speed - seriously, how is it?

For those running 35's with the 6 speed...uumm, same question ;)

The auto folks seem to love any size tire, lift, whatever...though they are missing the joy of the manual!
Rolling 35’s on 20” wheels, Sahara 6speed with 3.45’s. Just put on these bad boys and can really tell the added weight but not as bad as I thought. 1-4 is about it, 5th maybe over 70 but 6 is useless as some have already stated. Previously had a jk rubi and 33’s, always wanted lift with 35’s to test out the 4.10’s but wifey wanted the new JL which I couldn’t complain.
Sponsored

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Rolling 35’s on 20” wheels, Sahara 6speed with 3.45’s. Just put on these bad boys and can really tell the added weight but not as bad as I thought. 1-4 is about it, 5th maybe over 70 but 6 is useless as some have already stated. Previously had a jk rubi and 33’s, always wanted lift with 35’s to test out the 4.10’s but wifey wanted the new JL which I couldn’t complain.
Thank you for the feedback! Smart man...never complain when your wife says...no, let's just buy a new one!

MojitoSahara

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 2012 Acura TL, 2016 F150 SCREW, 2016 JKU Rubi
Occupation
CNC Machinist -> Curtiss-Wright
Thank you for the feedback! Smart man...never complain when your wife says...no, let's just buy a new one!

Yes! Lol makes home life a lot easier!

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m definitely going to have to regear, which starts the whole mod cascade:
If I’m going to regear, why not add a locker, and for that $$ maybe I should upgrade the D30 (M186) to a Dynatrac D44, and on and on...

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landy 110, 2014, 1.8T Golf GTI 2001, Audi Q5 2013,
Is that Older models ?

I got impression most folk are ordering automatic - I notice on carguru some new stick shift are hanging for 6 months without being sold

I was going to buy automatic just for purpose of resale (only driven auto's as hire cars in my 32 years of driving );

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Hi clutch gang! I took delivery of my MT last week, and am loving it so far!

I do have a question though. When I first received the vehicle, the clutch take up was very quick, engaging near the bottom of the pedal stroke. But it has been raising higher and higher. This morning, I noticed that it seems to engage near the top of the pedal stroke, when the pedal is almost fully released.

I'm not complaining, because I actually prefer it this way, and am able to find the friction zone easier. But my question is, is that normal? Does the clutch friction zone tend to shift as it wears in a bit? I am currently at 265 miles on the odometer.
I have almost 7K on mine now....and the clutch engagement (near the bottom of the stroke) has not changed at all. This is just my experience.

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S; 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
Nope. It's not rev matching. It's more like the jeep thinks it will stall when the revs drop to idle, so it blips the throttle
Today I noticed. I actually feel the blip in the clutch pedal. I am very curious as to the purpose of this blip and... is it something that can be coded out (assuming it serves no purpose). I’m with you. It’s annoying.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Hate starting yet another ESS thread but I can only find threads talking about bypass or battery issues.

First let me state that I hated the idea of ESS. The first test drive I took about a year ago had the ESS stop the engine when I was at my first stop sign. I didn't know about it then and it gave me that sick feeling of being stranded. I didn't get my Jeep delivered for 4 months but during that time I was reading all of the threads to see how to bypass this. I was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to make this go away.

When my Jeep finally arrived I figured I would try the ESS for a week and see how it went. To my surprise it didn't bother me that much once I knew it would happen. In fact, I actually began to enjoy the feature. It was easy to just gently pump the brake a few seconds before I was going to accelerate.

Yesterday was the first time I was driving and it caused me to feel stranded and vulnerable again. I was in the left lane preparing to pull into a restaurant. I was letting the traffic pass and had a window to go. At the very moment I tried to accelerate the Jeep died. Luckily I had only went a few inches and didn't cross the median. The Jeep remained dead even as my foot was on the gas pedal. The Jeep didn't start back up again until I pressed on the brake and released it again. Luckily this wasn't a situation where I caused an accident that could have potentially hurt someone or myself but it does make me pause and reconsider if I should be driving with this feature turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFgESnz4Wl0
With the manual transmission, the ESS works with the Clutch....not just the brake pedal. I can put it in neutral, let out the clutch and the ESS turns off the motor.....while I am coasting up to the light or the traffic stopped at the light. Any amount of pressure on the clutch will re start the engine quicker than you can place the transmission back into gear. It works great in a manual. I see how it can be dangerous in an automatic transmission.....but that scenario can not happen with the 6 speed Manual.

Chalk another one up for 3 pedal drivers.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I don't see how it's normal, or good for anything. I was coming to a red light yesterday, pushed the clutch in to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, and the revs dropped to idle, and the bounced back to 2k without me touching anything else. It's ridiculous, and it's driving me nuts.
Mine doesn’t do that. Normal or not is not all of them. It does sound like a tuning issue.

signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
main reason i ordered my 2019 Rubicon was the manual option...my last new truck built was a 2006 hummer h-3, 5 sp manual ...it's tough finding a truck or suv in manual that's good....i really did not want a pick up truck....the Rubicon was perfect replacement for my hummer....i test drove the 6 sp manual and thought it was great....looking forward to it's delivery date !!!

Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this, it usually happens in first gear. Occasionally, when I hit the clutch to coast to a stop, I hear and feel what I can only describe as a "crashing" from the transmission. I assume that it's due to the load being taken off and the gears stopping, but its a pretty obnoxious noise. As far as I can tell, I can't stop it by being any more gentle with my shifting. Any one else?

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this, it usually happens in first gear. Occasionally, when I hit the clutch to coast to a stop, I hear and feel what I can only describe as a "crashing" from the transmission. I assume that it's due to the load being taken off and the gears stopping, but its a pretty obnoxious noise. As far as I can tell, I can't stop it by being any more gentle with my shifting. Any one else?
I get this too. I'm curious if it's lash in the transfer case?

K2500Z71

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
Every Jeep I’ve ever owned has done this. As stated above, it’s just lash in the driveline.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Well, this rpm surge has happened twice more to me recently when trying to park, and I can't stand it. Took a video, if you wouldn't mind checking it out . Two dealers have now told me it's normal. What do you think?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Well, this rpm surge has happened twice more to me recently when trying to park, and I can't stand it. Took a video, if you wouldn't mind checking it out . Two dealers have now told me it's normal. What do you think?

It’s normal. I have had other cars do it as well. The fix, an aftermarket tune.
Sponsored