First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I bought a manual because that is how it was sitting on the lot when I traveled 3 hours each way to get it. I wanted an upgraded alpine and 8.4" screen with a 3.6 in my budget which was tough because, the 8.4 always had 4 or 5 other options with it jacking up the price. I have always driven sporty 6 speeds so it is quite a foreign feel to me in my first two weeks of ownership. I will be nervous to take it offroad the first time
I haven't done a lot of technical sections, but so far the manual off road has been a blast. The insanely low gearing is very forgiving. I may eat my words in the harder stuff, but so far I really enjoy the manual.
Sponsored

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Shifting/Clutching is an art - keep honing your craft. I have been working on my skills for 30+ years and still screw things up on occasion. Hopefully none of the sounds referenced are transmission issues but always a possibility; for those folks, I pray FCA takes care of it under warranty.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Hey guys, just got my 6spd, and I'm noticing some peculiar behaviour. I'm trying to pinpoint it, but its intermittent. My best case of reproducing is this

-Driving in 4th or 5th gear
-Depress clutch pedal, and the revs drop to idle
-As I slide the shifter into 3rd, to downshift, the engine will rev up to 1500, maybe 2k rpm.

Now, I never let the clutch out, all I did was slip the shifter into gear, and it revs up by itself. I've never had a car do this before, but my last manual was in 2012,...

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas why it's doing this? It's done this at lower speeds and gears as well, but usually the downshift to third is easiest to replicate

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
Hey guys, just got my 6spd, and I'm noticing some peculiar behaviour. I'm trying to pinpoint it, but its intermittent. My best case of reproducing is this

-As I slide the shifter into 3rd, to downshift, the engine will rev up to 1500, maybe 2k rpm.

Now, I never let the clutch out, all I did was slip the shifter into gear, and it revs up by itself. I've never had a car do this before, but my last manual was in 2012,...

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas why it's doing this? It's done this at lower speeds and gears as well, but usually the downshift to third is easiest to replicate
In the motorcycle world, people pay extra for that feature, they call it auto-blip. I'm no expert on JLs but I'm guessing it's in the calibration to make the revs match when you downshift - letting the revs drop to idle on a downshift is not great for the synchros.

Sponsored

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Wait, what? This is on your JL?

You're experiencing what the person above me said with the auto-blip... It's a feature on some manuals (not just motorcycles, but automotive in general, for example, a 370Z) and I'm not particularly fond of it because I'm used to doing it myself, but it's definitely not something I have on my JL...

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I was under the impression you only need to rev match before releasing the clutch? This is revving up as I move the shifter into gear. And it's not every time, or every shift.

And as you mention, I don't think it's a ''feature" of the JL

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was under the impression you only need to rev match before releasing the clutch? This is revving up as I move the shifter into gear. And it's not every time, or every shift.

And as you mention, I don't think it's a ''feature" of the JL
Yes, you need to have revs matched when you release the clutch to make the downshift smooth.

What you're describing is what the "auto blips" do. When you put it in gear on a downshift, it will match the revs so when you release the clutch, you're at the right spot. It doesn't do it as you're releasing the clutch.

Are you sure you're not subconsciously doing it yourself? Lol

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Yes, you need to have revs matched when you release the clutch to make the downshift smooth.

What you're describing is what the "auto blips" do. When you put it in gear on a downshift, it will match the revs so when you release the clutch, you're at the right spot. It doesn't do it as you're releasing the clutch.

Are you sure you're not subconsciously doing it yourself? Lol
Lol, I'm sure. I've specifically moved my foot away from the throttle completely.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Just went for another drive. I think I have it figured it out. It has nothing to do with the shifter, apologies.

It's only been noticeable to me on downshifts, because I often do them slowly. Up shifts are quick, so I never noticed.

If at any point, while in gear, I depress the clutch, the rpms slowly dropdown to below 1k, and then it blips the throttle on its. Sometimes gently, just 200 rpm, other times more aggressively up past 1500.

Maybe it's just falling below a certain rpm, so the engine applies some throttle?

Sponsored

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just went for another drive. I think I have it figured it out. It has nothing to do with the shifter, apologies.

It's only been noticeable to me on downshifts, because I often do them slowly. Up shifts are quick, so I never noticed.

If at any point, while in gear, I depress the clutch, the rpms slowly dropdown to below 1k, and then it blips the throttle on its. Sometimes gently, just 200 rpm, other times more aggressively up past 1500.

Maybe it's just falling below a certain rpm, so the engine applies some throttle?
I'm going out on a drive soon, I'll try to see if I notice this. I never have the clutch pedal in long enough while in gear for the RPMS to drop that much which is why I probably haven't noticed this before. If my clutch is in, I'm shifting and immediately off the clutch again.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I order a Manual Rubicon in September, got it early December and love it!! Accelerates nicely (3.6) and with stop start, engine is started right on clutch press and before I have it in gear. The only thing that too a bit of getting used to, was the pull up on the shift lever for reverse. I tend to play with my knob when driving, so was scared I would accidentally throw it into reverse trying to go to first. But I'm used to it now. I'm even used to the soft clutch now, so I dont hop like a wild bronco off the line anymore.
Every once in a while, I still hop like a wild bronco off the line.....it's embarrassing!

tombovo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara, Firecracker Red, 6sp Manual, Leather, LED, Tow, Cold Weather, Infotainment
Every once in a while, I still hop like a wild bronco off the line.....it's embarrassing!
Some of that is the clutch by wire. I've driven a clutch for a very long time, and this is the first one that I have a hard time feeling when the clutch starts to engage. Its not bad, just different than my old 2000 4Runner or 1990 HiLux. The old mechanical systems gave me a different feel.

And if you aren't driving a stick, you're just steering.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE And if you aren't driving a stick, you're just steering.[/QUOTE]

:like: :rock: :clap:

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Some of that is the clutch by wire. I've driven a clutch for a very long time, and this is the first one that I have a hard time feeling when the clutch starts to engage. Its not bad, just different than my old 2000 4Runner or 1990 HiLux. The old mechanical systems gave me a different feel.

And if you aren't driving a stick, you're just steering.
That makes sense......I thought it was bc all my other stick shift cars had small, 4 cyl, high revving engines and was just missing it........thanks!
Sponsored