The clutch gang!

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
So when you push clutch to the floor and coast while in gear it makes noise? I do that, especially taking corners - I downshift to 2nd and keep clutch in until I want to slow down, then I feather it out to engage engine braking. No noise.

Still interested in a recording if you’re up for making one.

As for downshifting to 1st, I guess it’s a style/preference. I was taught that if rolling even a tiny bit 2nd gear was the correct one. With the extremely short 1st gear in my Rubi, this strategy works perfectly. If I’m moving even a tiny bit I use 2nd gear. YMMV, I guess. I’ll try pushing mine into 1st at a roll and let you know if it allows me to do it.
Yes. When I push the clutch in,(whether coasting a bit or up/down shifting) the noise starts and continues until I put it into another gear and let off the clutch...and it also does it even in neutral with my foot off the clutch if I coast at all. I feather it to, and downshift mostly..but this noise shouldn't be there.
And the 1st gear thing...Maybe 5 mph was the wrong speed...imagine "not fully stopping at a stop sign speed." I had no real issues before...but I do now.

Now...as to a video. Can't at the moment. I run a Nissan store and my owner owns a Jeep dealership about 3 hours away. It's on a flatbed heading that way. If only I could type the wauh-wauh-wauh sound. LOL.

In regards to the tough first gear, the Service Manager there told me it sounds like they didn't bleed the lines correctly. I am just gonna drive a car off the lot until they figure it out over there.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes. When I push the clutch in,(whether coasting a bit or up/down shifting) the noise starts and continues until I put it into another gear and let off the clutch...and it also does it even in neutral with my foot off the clutch if I coast at all. I feather it to, and downshift mostly..but this noise shouldn't be there.
And the 1st gear thing...Maybe 5 mph was the wrong speed...imagine "not fully stopping at a stop sign speed." I had no real issues before...but I do now.

Now...as to a video. Can't at the moment. I run a Nissan store and my owner owns a Jeep dealership about 3 hours away. It's on a flatbed heading that way. If only I could type the wauh-wauh-wauh sound. LOL.

In regards to the tough first gear, the Service Manager there told me it sounds like they didn't bleed the lines correctly. I am just gonna drive a car off the lot until they figure it out over there.
Man, sucks you have to deal with all of this.

So, I just ran an errand and I can put it into first at seemingly any speed. 20mph was fastest I tried it (obviously with clutch in).

I hope the dealer can make this right for you.

Edit: I also noticed that I do what you’re talking about. When coasting to to a red light or stop sign, I push into first before I’m fully stopped. I don’t let off the clutch, so it’s not a downshift per se. It’s more of a preemptive move for the full stop I’m about to make. So, yeah, I’d be annoyed too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
QUOTE="OldGuyNewJeep, post: 482128, member: 11059"]I’ve not tried shifting to 1st while moving, but sounds like it’s working as designed.

Can you record the sound you’re getting so we can better understand what you’re dealing with?
I don't shift into first at a high speed, but..say, coming to a light that is red, and I am doing 3, 4, 5 mph and it changes to green...it won't let me into gear unless I am at a complete stop. As to the noise it makes ... happens when the clutch is engaged, or not engaged and in neutral. Sounds like real cheap, choppy mud tires on a lifted truck. And the noise slows as the jeep slows..

When i shift from any gear, I can hear it until I am fully in the next gear. When I slow down, say coasting to a stop (I downshift most of the time) it is very noticeable.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't sound normal. If it makes the same noise even in neutral, what makes you think it’s the transmission and not any other rolling part?

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
[[/QUOTE]
It doesn't sound normal. If it makes the same noise even in neutral, what makes you think it’s the transmission and not any other rolling part?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's the transmission personally. The dealership I took it to said it was...and obviously it wasn't because i just got a new one installed. One of my nissan techs thinks it is a throw out bearing?? but I don't know. My sister Jeep store about 3 hours away has it now. Should have a diagnosis this afternoon.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It doesn't sound normal. If it makes the same noise even in neutral, what makes you think it’s the transmission and not any other rolling part?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's the transmission personally. The dealership I took it to said it was...and obviously it wasn't because i just got a new one installed. One of my nissan techs thinks it is a throw out bearing?? but I don't know. My sister Jeep store about 3 hours away has it now. Should have a diagnosis this afternoon.[/QUOTE]
Keep us posted.

Sponsored

DominionsCowboy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sting Grey JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual JLU. Love it. Had a manual in my 15 rubi I used to have. I just like it because it makes me pay more attention to what I'm doing and in todays world paying more attention to the road isn't a bad thing. lol also just makes me feel like I am more in control.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't sound normal. If it makes the same noise even in neutral, what makes you think it’s the transmission and not any other rolling part?
I don't think it's the transmission personally. The dealership I took it to said it was...and obviously it wasn't because i just got a new one installed. One of my nissan techs thinks it is a throw out bearing?? but I don't know. My sister Jeep store about 3 hours away has it now. Should have a diagnosis this afternoon.[/QUOTE]
Keep us posted.[/QUOTE]
Hum. The throw out bearing only takes a load when the clutch is in. When it is going bad it makes noise when you push the clutch in. (Actually disengaging the clutch from the flywheel). If assembled correctly, the throw out bearing does not spin when the clutch is out, therefore it wouldn’t make noise. And you say it makes noise while coasting with the clutch out.

At any rate, the fact that you say you can’t shift into 1 st gear while rolling, points to the clutch assembly.
Edit: The clutch disk getting stuck to the pressure plate would explain all your simptoms

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Hi clutch gang! I took delivery of my MT last week, and am loving it so far!

I do have a question though. When I first received the vehicle, the clutch take up was very quick, engaging near the bottom of the pedal stroke. But it has been raising higher and higher. This morning, I noticed that it seems to engage near the top of the pedal stroke, when the pedal is almost fully released.

I'm not complaining, because I actually prefer it this way, and am able to find the friction zone easier. But my question is, is that normal? Does the clutch friction zone tend to shift as it wears in a bit? I am currently at 265 miles on the odometer.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

I do have a question though. When I first received the vehicle, the clutch take up was very quick, engaging near the bottom of the pedal stroke. But it has been raising higher and higher. This morning, I noticed that it seems to engage near the top of the pedal stroke, when the pedal is almost fully released.

I'm not complaining, because I actually prefer it this way, and am able to find the friction zone easier. But my question is, is that normal? Does the clutch friction zone tend to shift as it wears in a bit? I am currently at 265 miles on the odometer.
It may be just you getting used to it. See if there are any changes after 1,000 miles. If there is see your dealer.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I would say it’s just the clutch getting set the first few hundred miles. It should have a fair amount of stroke before it engages.

Sponsored

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have had 3 Jeep's and they were all sticks. My 2018 Rubi is a stick and I just love the looks of the stick when I enter the car!
It's tough and brawny looking. Plus shifting the car is like cutting butter with a hot knife.
My question is what do u think the percentage of buyers of the Jeep today buy it?
I bet less than 10%

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have had 3 Jeep's and they were all sticks. My 2018 Rubi is a stick and I just love the looks of the stick when I enter the car!
It's tough and brawny looking. Plus shifting the car is like cutting butter with a hot knife.
My question is what do u think the percentage of buyers of the Jeep today buy it?
I bet less than 10%
Overall car sales in the United States that have manual transmissions are now at 3%. My uneducated guess would be around 10-15% for the wrangler.

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Actually my dealer who I know for years discouraged me to buy a stick.
He said I will never be able to sell it.
I say there is an ass for very seat
I have a 18 Rubi stick and I love it

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Never really considered resale value of my Jeep with manual vs auto. I've no doubt either will sell here in Colorado.

If it were ever for sale. :punch:

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Never really considered resale value of my Jeep with manual vs auto. I've no doubt either will sell here in Colorado.

If it were ever for sale. :punch:
Colorado is one thing for sure but i'm in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico and in 2018 my dealer sold less that 2% and they do over 125 per month. Just a lot of wooses here. I just love the looks of the stick when I get into the Jeep.
IMG_0388.JPG
Sponsored