DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well honestly, I am happy for you then! I had quite the opposite experience, and I will never utilize them again.

But that has nothing to do with my previous comment. From all of the customer service departments I've dealt with I have found tailored responses to an individual/issue come off much more helpful and effective than a canned response you have seen/received a dozen times. 90% of a CS rep's work is keeping the customer in good spirits and managing their expectations (since they have little-to-no room to change company policies or help anymore than they are allowed to) so taking a few extra seconds by not using a canned message can help keep the customer in a good mood by feeling they are being taken care of properly and not just "part of the script."

Just my thoughts! If you ask most people, they aren't event worth $0.02.
You expect a personal response in a public forum? They personalize communication when private, through PM, email or phone. They've done that every single time with me.

They are showing wisdom and professionalism in their public invitations to communicate privately.
Sponsored

Last edited:

njviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 12 JKU, soon to be 18 or 19 JL
I've owned 5 cj/wranglers now and all of them have been stick. Kinda seems silly to me having an automatic transmission in a wrangler. Even my xj is a stick.

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
You expect a personal response in a public forum? They personalize communication when private, through PM, email or phone. TheyveT done that every single time with me.

They are showing wisdom and professionalism in their public invitations to communicate privately.
I expect nothing. I would like to see a personalized response. Something that shows they've read what you have to say and not just pasted a canned response to whatever complaint they see.

In this specific situation, the person did not even mention having any issues with their transmission, just that they've heard of others having issues and asked if anyone here has had similar issues. In this case, I'd like to see something more like "Hope this does not happen to anyone here, but in the event it does, feel free to send us a private message and we will do our best to help."

With that, I'm done. It's off topic and no help to the thread. :lipssealed:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I expect nothing. I would like to see a personalized response. Something that shows they've read what you have to say and not just pasted a canned response to whatever complaint they see.

In this specific situation, the person did not even mention having any issues with their transmission, just that they've heard of others having issues and asked if anyone here has had similar issues. In this case, I'd like to see something more like "Hope this does not happen to anyone here, but in the event it does, feel free to send us a private message and we will do our best to help."

With that, I'm done. It's off topic and no help to the thread. :lipssealed:
or maybe your response was rude and you got called on it?

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer

Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
It would be unwise to do that. Since they don't know the full aspect of the issue, other than that there "may" be an issue. Remember that every time they have to respond, they are not doing something else that FCA would like them to do. Their job is to respond as little as possible but still to be present, and then filter the responses that need specific information to a private conversation that protects both the individual <in case they did something stupid and it isn't a problem with the jeep> and prevents people from overreacting to issues which may be specific to an individual Jeep.

That said, I'm almost 5k miles into mine. I'm really enjoying the jeep, and the transmission with the 4.1 is quite nice. I have found that sometimes I'm starting in 2nd, and I only use 6 on the freeway over 70 mph. Most of my shifting happens between 2.5 and 3. I can drive flat ground around 2k, but there is no ability to accelerate below 2k, marginal at 2k, but seems plentiful around 2.5 to 3k.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Anyhow ....my jeep is sitting at the dealer...waiting for me....cripes. I can't take it anymore. Finally back in a manual!

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
Has anyone had any grinding noises during shifts? I have a Jeep service manager in the neighborhood and mentioned that he had a few come in. Nothing they could do even after replacing the clutch/flywheel and eventually transmission.
Mine grinds a little going into 3rd but it’s still under 1,000 miles. I’m gonna give it a little while to break in and see where it’s at before I go into panic mode.
I have noticed that from going to 2nd to 3rd I have to baby it a little bit or a scraping sound occurs...Just takes a little more finesse than the JK. Im hoping it is just a learning to drive it thing and not a more serious problem.

But wow, the manual is like butter on the JL. RPM wise it seems to run a little hotter than the JK, but I can definitely feel that its quicker.

Last edited:

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up my 2019 JLR last weekend, first time owning a stick. It’s a blast. At what speed/rpm do you guys shift to 2nd? It seems like the jeep always jerks after I shift from 1st to 2nd
I agree with everyone else, the first to second shift just takes time to get used to the gearing. First is very low, I've had my Rubi going on two weeks and I'm getting used to it and making smoother shifts now.

Sponsored

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
just picked mine up after 4 weeks of waiting on a transmission...(please read the next sentence in Sam Kinison's voice)...that apparently I didn't need because it is still making the same #&@*$&! noise. And now...now I can't shift into 1st unless I am at a complete stop. so, it's now worse than when I took it in. talk about frustration.

but she is mine, and we will get through it...albeit at a different dealer.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
just picked mine up after 4 weeks of waiting on a transmission...(please read the next sentence in Sam Kinison's voice)...that apparently I didn't need because it is still making the same #&@*$&! noise. And now...now I can't shift into 1st unless I am at a complete stop. so, it's now worse than when I took it in. talk about frustration.

but she is mine, and we will get through it...albeit at a different dealer.
I’ve not tried shifting to 1st while moving, but sounds like it’s working as designed.

Can you record the sound you’re getting so we can better understand what you’re dealing with?

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
QUOTE="OldGuyNewJeep, post: 482128, member: 11059"]I’ve not tried shifting to 1st while moving, but sounds like it’s working as designed.

Can you record the sound you’re getting so we can better understand what you’re dealing with?[/QUOTE]

I don't shift into first at a high speed, but..say, coming to a light that is red, and I am doing 3, 4, 5 mph and it changes to green...it won't let me into gear unless I am at a complete stop. As to the noise it makes ... happens when the clutch is engaged, or not engaged and in neutral. Sounds like real cheap, choppy mud tires on a lifted truck. And the noise slows as the jeep slows..

When i shift from any gear, I can hear it until I am fully in the next gear. When I slow down, say coasting to a stop (I downshift most of the time) it is very noticeable.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I don't shift into first at a high speed, but..say, coming to a light that is red, and I am doing 3, 4, 5 mph and it changes to green...it won't let me into gear unless I am at a complete stop. As to the noise it makes ... happens when the clutch is engaged, or not engaged and in neutral. Sounds like real cheap, choppy mud tires on a lifted truck. And the noise slows as the jeep slows..

When i shift from any gear, I can hear it until I am fully in the next gear. When I slow down, say coasting to a stop (I downshift most of the time) it is very noticeable.
So when you push clutch to the floor and coast while in gear it makes noise? I do that, especially taking corners - I downshift to 2nd and keep clutch in until I want to slow down, then I feather it out to engage engine braking. No noise.

Still interested in a recording if you’re up for making one.

As for downshifting to 1st, I guess it’s a style/preference. I was taught that if rolling even a tiny bit 2nd gear was the correct one. With the extremely short 1st gear in my Rubi, this strategy works perfectly. If I’m moving even a tiny bit I use 2nd gear. YMMV, I guess. I’ll try pushing mine into 1st at a roll and let you know if it allows me to do it.