sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 6-speed manual over the 8-speed auto due to cost (2K) option and since I bought my JLU to be used as a "TOAD" it made more sense. Also, I think there is a weight advantage.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I purchased a manual for off-roading, I prefer it over automatic, the 2k savings is decent and I like that in my opinion its harder on the easier parts (sand, challenging trails) and easier on the hard parts (rock climbing).
All that being said, the new automatic transmission is nice, if the 2018 had adaptive cruise control that might have won me over to get the automatic, it's surprising how relaxing it is to drive with adaptive cruise control.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I purchased a manual for off-roading and just because I like it over automatic and the 2k savings is decent, harder on the easier parts (sand, challenging trails) and easier on the hard parts (rock climbing).
All that being said, the new automatic transmission is nice, if the 2018 had adaptive cruise control that might have won me over to get the automatic, it's surprising how relaxing it is to drive with adaptive cruise control.
So they are only offering adaptive cc with automatic? That’s a shame. It is a marketing decision, not technical.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
So they are only offering adaptive cc with automatic? That’s a shame. It is a marketing decision, not technical.
That's what I read somewhere online, but you do know, if its on the internet it must be true!

EDIT: I can add the adaptive cruise control to the manual transmission in the Jeep.com builder, so maybe I got bad info.
From the build page: "Adaptive Cruise Control[1] for the six-speed manual transmission uses sensors to detect vehicles ahead and automatically adjusts your vehicle's cruising speed to maintain a preset distance. It allows speed control to remain engaged without the need for constant adjustments based on traffic flow."

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of adaptive cruise control, but not with that monstrous box at the top of the windshield. I'm glad I don't have that obscuring my vision.

Reactions: KDB

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Adaptive Brake/Cruise and other stuff on my 2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD (400HP) and I turn it off when I'm in town and only use it on my long drives on the highway. I just hate that the car makes constant steering corrections when you are just fine at cruising speed. I guess these features are still in the "infancy" stage and will improve in later years.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I read somewhere online, but you do know, if its on the internet it must be true!

EDIT: I can add the adaptive cruise control to the manual transmission in the Jeep.com builder, so maybe I got bad info.
From the build page: "Adaptive Cruise Control[1] for the six-speed manual transmission uses sensors to detect vehicles ahead and automatically adjusts your vehicle's cruising speed to maintain a preset distance. It allows speed control to remain engaged without the need for constant adjustments based on traffic flow."
I wouldn’t trust adaptive anything.. maybe I’m a control freak..

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I like the idea of adaptive cruise control, but not with that monstrous box at the top of the windshield. I'm glad I don't have that obscuring my vision.
I’m with you, I think that box looks hideous. My wife’s Volvo has acc and I like it, specially since it is something you decide if and when to use. The issue is that in sedans the windshield is so big and slanted that the whole box literally fits behind the mirror, but the wrangler windshield angle calls for a much better design.

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hi gang, new 2019 JLUR owner here, first time in a Jeep. Add me to the list of you all who are desperately hanging on to what appears to be a dying legacy of car options - the manual. All vehicles that I've owned have been with a stick and I'll have it no other way :punch:

Though I do have a question about the gearing... I'm finding 6th gear to be pretty much useless? At cruising speed of 65-70 and in 6th gear I almost feel like just sneezing will cause my speed to dip, lol. Even with cruise set on a flat road, the engine sounds and feels like it's lugging at that speed which concerns me. Is this a general consensus among you all?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi gang, new 2019 JLUR owner here, first time in a Jeep. Add me to the list of you all who are desperately hanging on to what appears to be a dying legacy of car options - the manual. All vehicles that I've owned have been with a stick and I'll have it no other way :punch:

Though I do have a question about the gearing... I'm finding 6th gear to be pretty much useless? At cruising speed of 65-70 and in 6th gear I almost feel like just sneezing will cause my speed to dip, lol. Even with cruise set on a flat road, the engine sounds and feels like it's lugging at that speed which concerns me. Is this a general consensus among you all?
As the engine breaks in, it will get better. I run 6th gear at 60 or above on flat land and 65 and up in mild rolling hills. On a long highway trip to Moab in October, I used it probably 70% of the time on the highway. The exception was when we were getting a pretty good headwind from Kansas to Colorado, plus elevation was generally rising. I do feel, though, that the engine has loosened up and it pulls the gear better. I'm running 35's, so if you are running your Rubi with stock 33's, it should be fine using 6th, most of the time, even if not broken in yet. Remember, too, those auto transmissions are not staying in 8th any more than you'll be in 6th. Even on slight grades, they'll down shift one or two gears. It just isn't as noticeable because they are so smooth.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
In the autos if a bug hits the windshield it's out of 8th. With 37s it's just really out of 8th period.

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Good to know, thanks guys! I do plan on running 35's soon (waiting on the wheels to arrive) and still on the fence on lifting it. I'll make that decision if I find clearance and rubbing is an issue.

I also live at about 6000' altitude so that contributes a bit to the lack of power as well. I guess I'll need some more highway and seat time to figure it all out. It's for sure different than the high strung sports cars that I'm used to :jk:

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.

These motors don’t like to be below 2k rpms. Keep it above that and you’ll be fine. I don’t shift to 6th in my JLR until I’m over 70mph. Lugging a motor, no matter how many miles are on the motor is a bad thing.

Last edited:
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon; Mazda RX-8
East coast, manual. Love it. BUT how in the hell do you drive a manual without a clutch? I've been driving a stick for a longgggg time. I have no clue what everyone is talking about.
If you lose the clutch you can shift by Rev-matching. To shift up you pull out of gear and apply gentle pressure to the next gear while letting the revs drop. When you have hit the right rpm the shifter will slide into gear. To downshift you have to goose the throttle to get the revs up to synchronous speed, then the shifter will slide in. It does take some practice but it can be done well with little to no grinding. Just don't stop
Sponsored