Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Manual here. Was raised driving them. Then stopped for several years due to driving in rush hour traffic daily. When I decided to get the JL I knew I wanted a manual. I missed it. My A.D.D. personality gets really bored with an automatic. :)
Whenever people bring up (NY) Traffic, I just think of it as "This moment will pass and I'll be free again", hence why I don't mind Manual in traffic

I was the opposite, raised with Auto and had to learn via friends, youtube, Bribes (Monster for driving friends car) and dealers (Surprised I'm not black listed at several xD)

Glad you're back
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I live in the high desert in Utah - my daily drive is 15 miles+ with a 1500' elevation change on winding roads. I leap out of bed every day excited to go to work because I get to "drive" to work. The constant shifting is always slightly challenging where if I was in an automatic I would be on auto pilot. To each his own, but, for me, it will always be a car that I make the decisions. Nothing like it

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
taught my 14 year old daughter how to drive manual in a parking lot.
right foot on the floor....NO gas input. sloooowly lifting left foot to get truck rolling.
after about 10 tries in first with no yelling she started to get a feel for the clutch.
simple after that. gotta have a rig with a tractor-like torque curve, though. would be kinda tough in a porsche.
taught my older kids the same way
That's a good plan. Back around 2001 I attended a high performance Corvette driving school at the Spring Mountain track in Pahrump. One of the early exercises they had everyone do was getting the car moving with no throttle then coming to a stop, over and over. They wanted to stress that you didn't need excessive/any clutch slipping, to save their clutches from getting fried, as well as for everyone to become familiar with the engagement point/range. That was a great class - the Z06 had just come out and I was able to latch on to one for the bulk of my time there. BIG jump from my '99 Z51!

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Whenever people bring up (NY) Traffic, I just think of it as "This moment will pass and I'll be free again", hence why I don't mind Manual in traffic

I was the opposite, raised with Auto and had to learn via friends, youtube, Bribes (Monster for driving friends car) and dealers (Surprised I'm not black listed at several xD)

Glad you're back
It feels so good to be back. I've really missed it! :)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have manuals and do prefer them for wheeling despite most of the hard core guys preferring auto's now. But as to the statement of "why would anyone want an auto" well, I can think of a few of possibly many. For me, despite wanting a manual I am considering a auto.

Mostly because my knees were never any good but I do on occasion have problems. If and when I go JL I hope to have this a LONG time.and I'm not getting any younger so an auto seems a good long term objective... then again auto's are expensive to repair so there is that. haha

As mentioned many offroad enthusiasts prefer autos and for good reason. Torque multiplication with autos is really quite helpful on the trail. Plus some obsticles if not conquered require a clutch brake and gas input with a manual. Not that easy and could be disastrous, at least for me anyway. lol. I use a thumb throttle so there is a way around this. With an auto it's not an issue.

Having said mostly good stuff about an auto the flip side for ME having a manual makes you feel more connected to the vehicle. There is something about this that I think many auto users just dont get.

My son who is a new driver looks at me with traderous eyes, and says "how could you" :) For him, having a manual is a badge of honor, and I get that.

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Johnbuz, I have a rubicon, so the 3.45s in yours will def make it a little more difticult ..... but i have 33s, so that mitigates the difference a little.
I will say....it was a bit difficult to do it on my jeep at first, but now it is the only way i back out of my driveway. I think i just got better with practice.
I taught my kids on an fj40 with 3.70s and 31s.

Twisty, the clutch on the jl is the softest i have ever used...by far.
You might want to try it before you write it off

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Johnbuz, I have a rubicon, so the 3.45s in yours will def make it a little more difticult ..... but i have 33s, so that mitigates the difference a little.
I will say....it was a bit difficult to do it on my jeep at first, but now it is the only way i back out of my driveway. I think i just got better with practice.

For sure I will try it.

Moomoo

First Name
Ashlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 chevy traverse, 2018 wrangler unlimited JL Sahara
Officially joining the clutch gang! Picked up my Sahara yesterday :)

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that was my problem. i had to try a bunch of different dealers to actually test drive one.... and it was a sport but i wanted a rubicon. the sport was good, so i ordered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
that was my problem. i had to try a bunch of different dealers to actually test drive one.... and it was a sport but i wanted a rubicon. the sport was good, so i ordered.
Same here. Went all over to find a manual. When I found one, it was a sport. Drove it and loved it. since Transmission was the same, bought a Rubi without driving one.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
taught my 14 year old daughter how to drive manual in a parking lot.
right foot on the floor....NO gas input. sloooowly lifting left foot to get truck rolling.
after about 10 tries in first with no yelling she started to get a feel for the clutch.
simple after that. gotta have a rig with a tractor-like torque curve, though. would be kinda tough in a porsche.
taught my older kids the same way
THIS WORKED GREAT!

Thank you so much for this. He really built his confidence and got a feel for working the clutch. No stalls. 20 minutes later we added gas, and viola! By the way, my Rubicon is able to launch with zero gas even up a 30% grade. I never would have known...

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca

I also have 3.45 gears, I think theyre standard for the manual tranny. I can back up at idle. Now I need to try the same in 1st.

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
JL 2dr Rubi with manual on order.

I get to teach the wife how to drive stick!
Sponsored