Sponsored

The clutch gang!

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Granite Crystal manual transmission JLU here. I love driving manual vehicles, regardless of the type/brand/model. I'm young, but I have an old soul for a lot of random things.

One thing I noticed immediately is this clutch is SUPER SOFTTTT. Man I'm not used to this. I've driven mostly sports cars, or auto trucks/suvs, and I'm used to stiff clutches. It only took a drive or two to get used being in an auto for the last 3 years, but man I love driving it already (well as soon as I get it back from the damn service dept that is).

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Alright clutch gang! I have a question only you can answer. If you stall in your MT JL, does the ESS kick in when you depress the clutch, effectively managing the stall without you having to turn the engine back on yourself?

TexasAG90

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
VP of Sales
I honestly love driving stick. Feels like I have control of the Jeep and I'm actually driving the Jeep if that makes sense. I like having that extra control when I'm wheeling as well. Also, I'm 28 and there are very few people in my age group who can drive a stick, let alone would choose to drive one. I think everyone should know how to drive a manual. Is it easier to drive an automatic? Sure, but it's a hell of a lot less fun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Alright clutch gang! I have a question only you can answer. If you stall in your MT JL, does the ESS kick in when you depress the clutch, effectively managing the stall without you having to turn the engine back on yourself?
No, you have to push the start button while depressing the clutch.

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
No, you have to push the start button while depressing the clutch.
Aw dang. I just rented a cheapo European compact where the ESS kicked in. Blew my mind! LOL. Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I honestly feel that a push button start is a little weird without proximity entry. Also it's often one of those quirky little electronic parts that develops a fault early on. I've had mine fail 3 times on two cars (both under 3 years old.)

Stay safe out there!

Thermodynamicles

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
JLU Sahara MT owner...love it. I really missed having a MT after so long of driving automatics. Even using the "manual" shifting on the automatics was boring. I feel a lot more in control with a MT and definitely think they're way more fun!

Gilroy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My wife and I prefer manuals. Our JKU was a manual, it was never a question that the new Jeep would be too. We don’t have to drive a lot so if we were sitting in stop and go traffic we might feel differently. I think they’re more fun to drive and I am still getting used to the new clutch but I love how short the throws are on the new transmission!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to stall mine in 6500 miles. I did one time have the ESS fail to restart and throw an error message. I got it restarted after 30 seconds or so, then parked it at a store. When I came out, the error code was gone and it worked fine. That day I ordered the Tazer JL to castrate that feature.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
I learned manual on a 1996 Acura Integra and my current xB is a manual.

I am 50/50 on my future JL being auto or manual. Part of it is that my wife wants to be able to drive it since she cannot drive manual, and I don't know if I want to teach on a brand new clutch. I burned out my Integra's way fast, and my xB didn't get replaced until ~175k miles.

Also love how the manual saves money on brakes too.

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
So manuals are the way to go...In my opinion. I mean nothing brings a smile to my face more than driving down the road with the top down...doors off...good old southern rock coming out of alpine speakers...and shifting gears on a some back road or trail...I mean seriously sometimes its the simply things that are the best in life. I am sure that an Auto would be fun to...but why risk it. I only stalled once...on day one when I was feeling out the clutch and treating it like an expensive fragile egg...instead of the off-road hero that it is. By the way I switch back and forth between my old 03 TJ and nothing shows the difference more than switching. The old TJ feels like I have to leg press some weights to engage the clutch...lol..still a hell of a lot of fun to drive though. Wife keeps asking me what my plan for the old girl is. I told her my plan is to own every generation of Jeep and restore them. Not exactly what she had it mind...lol.

rob28

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr Willys. 2021.
As an Englishman in Canada, I grew up on manuals back in the old country and only owned one auto over there, just to try something different.
For the last 10 years it’s all been auto in the 1/2 ton trucks so I’m really looking forward to getting back into stirring the stick myself. The only issue I might have is training the right hand to do the shifting as I have over 20 years of shifting with the left hand.
Sponsored