The clutch gang!

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
On one hand, hillstart assist is good for steep inclines, on other hand we have a handbrake and the function itself really makes it hard to feel feedback needed to have smooth clutch engagement.

I turn off hillstart assist in all of my manuals because the drawbacks, IMO, outweigh any benefits.
Hill Start Assist can be turned only when needed at a stop on a steep incline (provided of course the stop light gives enough time to go into settings to turn it on)? Will the feature work immediately when conditions for it are met like foot was on the brake pedal?
Sponsored

18Celtics

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT, G05 xdrive 40i
Yeah. But it's a Gladiator, and the Mohave has a steel hood too so it is much heavier. Sport trim JTs have a stock 3.73 gearing on 32" tires. 4.88 would definitely alleviate the situation. Guess you are running 37" tires?
Oh I didn't know that...

Running stock now, going 35s soon.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Hill Start Assist can be turned only when needed at a stop on a steep incline (provided of course the stop light gives enough time to go into settings to turn it on)? Will the feature work immediately when conditions for it are met like foot was on the brake pedal?
Yes. Before I regeared to 5.13's (3.73s and 37's) I got in a situation where the parking brake wouldn't hold it nose up on a really step hill. Went through the menu, turned hill start assist on right then and it let me and held with no issues..

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I don't know as I never really liked it and only left it on for the first month of owning my Jeep. My prior manual car (not Jeep), i had left it on for a year and when i decided to try without out realize the computer controlled auto braking was not for me. The way I experienced it was when on a hill, I would start lifting the clutch pedal, depressing the clutch, and the Jeep would not move so inevitably I would give more gas, release clutch pedal further and engine would rev and Jeep would lurch forward.

In contrast, without hill assist on, it is usually very easy for me to quickly move my foot from the brake to the throttle, and quickly release clutch so Jeep doesn't roll back more than a few inches.

Now if I am on a super steep hill, or have no room for error in the transition (maybe a car is parked RIGHT behind me), then I will throw in some hand brake action.

Hill start assist isn't inherently a bad feature. Just me but don't care for it all, but to each their own.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I don't know as I never really liked it and only left it on for the first month of owning my Jeep. My prior manual car (not Jeep), i had left it on for a year and when i decided to try without out realize the computer controlled auto braking was not for me. The way I experienced it was when on a hill, I would start lifting the clutch pedal, depressing the clutch, and the Jeep would not move so inevitably I would give more gas, release clutch pedal further and engine would rev and Jeep would lurch forward.

In contrast, without hill assist on, it is usually very easy for me to quickly move my foot from the brake to the throttle, and quickly release clutch so Jeep doesn't roll back more than a few inches.

Now if I am on a super steep hill, or have no room for error in the transition (maybe a car is parked RIGHT behind me), then I will throw in some hand brake action.

Hill start assist isn't inherently a bad feature. Just me but don't care for it all, but to each their own.
Yep, there is also some uncertainty on what angle Hill Start activates. Many times I thought the angle was steep enough but the Hill Start did not turn on even when conditions were met. If someone have decent experience in driving manuals, they would make a better judgement on when a hand brake can be used and when it is not necessary.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Try it with the seatbelt on (all indicators go off except the engine not-running light). Once or twice should be enough. Start it immediately after.

It's been two years since my 21 arrived so I don't remember exactly, but I know the first time didn't seem to work but a subsequent time was night and day. Also when they did a software flash for a recall, feathering went back to impossible after warmup so I shut it down, did the thing, and had it back to 1700 rpm feathering, which was good enough for a comfortable drive home.

:fingerscrossed:
I ran through the process this morning. I don't know yet if it made any change but my take offs were smooth. But I will see how it behaves in the next two days in more challenging situations and keep you posted to eliminate any placebo effect.
After a few days, I will disable Hill Start too but I don't want to change more than one variable at a time to obtain a more scientific conclusion. ;)

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
I ran through the process this morning. I don't know yet if it made any change but my take offs were smooth. But I will see how it behaves in the next two days in more challenging situations and keep you posted to eliminate any placebo effect.
After a few days, I will disable Hill Start too but I don't want to change more than one variable at a time to obtain a more scientific conclusion. ;)
Driving happiness is the ultimate goal, but this is why I like the idle and feather test. Clearly if it's -45C outside everything will be wonk, but usually mine drops to regular idle after 30sec and then it's easy to feather test.

Said simply, if there's only "idle" or "jump then steadily increase rpm", it means it only knows two positions for that pedal (magnetic) sensor: 0% and 100%. Mine would literally hop from 750 straight to 2500, and would steady around 4500 maybe 5sec later, and that was just feathering! Starting with zero pedal was easy; the ECU would prevent a stall on slow release. Feathering would always stall arguably because it's sending 0% which tells the engine to "slow down"... to dead. Anything else was spinning.

It's exactly your story, which is why I keep pushing. :angel:

I have no idea what Pedal Commander does but I cannot imagine they'd be resetting the sensor calibration.

I also have absolutely no idea how this is supposed to work in the automatics. It never seemed to learn about the pedal automatically, which tells me that the automatics should have the same problem. I would think lurching would still be detectable.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I have no idea what Pedal Commander does but I cannot imagine they'd be resetting the sensor calibration.
Pedal commander would not affect the ECU calibration. It just signals the ECU much faster than stock by altering the frequency I guess, and hence reducing or eliminating the lag depending on the setting.

Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! 1675813140114

Last edited:

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
At the end of the month we will be taking a trip to FL from Indy. One straight drive for 12 hours with a few stops here and there. Clutch should hold up as the last trip for 6 hours to TN was solid. The last trip I was able to show numbers of 26.7 MPG for the highway driving (whatever sport S gear ratio). Of course ill report back any issues once we return.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
A home for the manual lovers?
Helllooooo

I started daily-ing manuals about a decade ago in a Honda Element, 5MT.
Already knew how to drive em, but absolutely fell in love after doing the daily.
Traded it in for a 6MT Mini Cooper (reverse top left) after spending an entire weekend trying to remove the passenger side ball joint on the Element. The Mini treated me well for many years. Got sideswiped on a highway on ramp. RIP, I loved that car. Picked up a 6MT (reverse top left) Audi A4 Quattro. Fell in love with AWD in a manual, and I've loved Wranglers for like 3 decades. Only decision I could make was to go with a manual when I ordered mine. I was just never really in a place to afford one before
And the best part for me, I have a 6MT gearbox tattoo with reverse top left that I got while owning the Mini. Phew, the Jeep has reverse top left!

I uh also have the word throttle on my right ankle and the word clutch on my left ankle.

I really, really love shifting gears.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Have a '22 2.0 8-speed auto JLUR. Thinking of maybe trading in for a '23 3.6 6-speed manual JLUR. Dumb? Anyone go from the 8 speed (which for an auto is amazing) to the manual and regret it?

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Have a '22 2.0 8-speed auto JLUR. Thinking of maybe trading in for a '23 3.6 6-speed manual JLUR. Dumb? Anyone go from the 8 speed (which for an auto is amazing) to the manual and regret it?
I have a friend with a 2.0T/auto and father who has a 3.6/auto.
8-speed is really nice. Especially if you want to go 37’s without having to regear.
So if you already have your Jeep, it’s probably best to just keep it.

That said, I was in your similar spot with a Tacoma. After 9 months, couldn’t stand the auto and had to get a manual. Luckily, Tacoma resale is up there with Wranglers so not much lost.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I have a friend with a 2.0T/auto and father who has a 3.6/auto.
8-speed is really nice. Especially if you want to go 37’s without having to regear.
So if you already have your Jeep, it’s probably best to just keep it.

That said, I was in your similar spot with a Tacoma. After 9 months, couldn’t stand the auto and had to get a manual. Luckily, Tacoma resale is up there with Wranglers so not much lost.
Yeah it's probably not super wise. The 8-speed is a better auto than the 6-speed is a manual. Trade in and used market isn't what it was a year ago. I have 26,500 on my '22 currently (had exactly a year).

I don't dislike the auto at all. I'm on 35's now and kept the 4.10s (wasn't worth regearing) but honestly didn't notice much. I did re-cal my speedo with JScan. It's my daily driver. As much as I think the manual would be fun, as I've had a few on other vehicles, might lose it's appeal.

Anyway just thinking out loud...
Sponsored