The clutch gang!

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
I have a manual and I didn't mind it, at first, but one time at a stop light, it failed to start. It made a horrible noise, and then gave me a message that it had failed and needed service. There was a lot of traffic, so it wasn't pretty. I was worried the starter had stripped its teeth. Fortunately, I used the starter button and it fired right up. After shut down, it corrected itself and worked again. I lost trust in it. Then, I found myself forgetting to shut it off. At this point, I decided I hated it. Thank goodness for the Tazer. It is now disabled and I don't even think about it.
Okay . . . what is the "Tazer" and where do I get it?
Sponsored

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Twice the other day I was in race mode and killed the engine going from stop light to first too fast. Lol. Learned my lesson, so just need to tap that clutch a hair sooner.
I've killed mine 10 times, but who's counting? Totally different from any stick I've driven. I feel like I'm learning all over again, haha

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Welcome ered33. I agree with most of your comments. The only thing I hope you are wrong is about people looking down at anything other than Rubi. But again, There is a lot of bs here. Like the hard core off roaders looking down at the mall crawlers and such. I will be mainly a mall crawler but not so much by choice as it is by my surroundings. Here in Illinois there are not many options for me to go off-roading. First time I took my brand new FJ (its a manual too) to a park it wasn’t a very pleasant experience. My son was only 12 and he was very exited and he was the one that looked up the event. It was announced for stock vehicles and novices. Modesty aside, I am an expert. When we arrived we were seriously looked down upon. Everyone had lifts and winches. The Jeep people were plain rude. The other Toyota guys were not much better. The comments were of the sort “if you go you will slow us down” “ sorry to say, but your car is not up to this, got to spend some money” and “ don’t expect me to winch you out”. The only reason I didn’t turn around was my son. He was close to tears. I said, I’ll make sure to leave last, just give me the map and leave me to my own devices ”. I didn’t have a winch, but only I knew I had my 6000 lbs come along packed. Then I pulled out my well beaten off-road chains to cover my highway tires. That was a sight. Some where laughing and some just jaw dropped like I was crazy. Now I was pissed. Took off ahead of them all, made sure nobody got even close, finished the trail. Not a scratch on my car. Waited for them, tipped my hat, and rode home with a very proud son. Haven’t gone to any other organized event ever since.
On another note, I do feel the 6 gear just right and only usable on highway which is fine. I would be even higher in your case because of the different gearing, so you are right, it may be a bit on the tall side on the non rubicon.
sometimes people just flat out suck

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
You can't go wrong with any version of the JL - these JLs are better in almost every respect than the JK. I know, I put 148k miles on my 2012 JK 2dr.

Like:
- roomy side to side - these things are biggish
- quiet . . . for a Wrangler
- base radio is plenty good enough
- the top is easy easy to work
- the door stays spoil you - how did we ever live without them?
- great visibility, especially out the back!

Dislike:
- base touch screen is SLOOOOW
- you can't mute the radio on start up for a while as it boots up if it was on when you shut down
- LOVE the look of the tan cloth seats but they are going to get dirty fast
- glove box is small

Surprises:
- LED lights in the cup holders
- D rings in cargo compartment for tie downs (I thought you had to order rail management system)
- the Government button/on-off system does not bother me too much, its pretty seemless
LED lights cupholders? every model? haven't noticed that on mine. haven't driven at night either, yet, so who knows, but interesting.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
I wanted to start here with "my problem" on my JLUR. I've noticed it four times, twice today, but other than that, it hasn't happened. When turning, it's almost like the steering/tires/something is locking up, only for a split second. It has only happened when I've been slowing down and turning. At first I thought it was something to do with me shifting. I don't even know how to describe it other than "locking up" and was wondering if anyone else experienced this. I know if I take it to the dealership they'll never reproduce it as it doesn't happen that frequently (four times in 1600 miles-ish). Any thoughts?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I wanted to start here with "my problem" on my JLUR. I've noticed it four times, twice today, but other than that, it hasn't happened. When turning, it's almost like the steering/tires/something is locking up, only for a split second. It has only happened when I've been slowing down and turning. At first I thought it was something to do with me shifting. I don't even know how to describe it other than "locking up" and was wondering if anyone else experienced this. I know if I take it to the dealership they'll never reproduce it as it doesn't happen that frequently (four times in 1600 miles-ish). Any thoughts?
Search around the forum. There is at least another guy describing exactly the same issue. ( or was it you? )Definitely something to look at. Mine hasn’t done anything like that.

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
The wife wanted an automatic, I wanted the standard. She wore down eventually and I ordered the standard.

I picked up my Rubi 2 days ago. So far so good. I don’t know why anyone would look down on anyone for what they drive and what they like. I have other things to worry about other than “will that guy ever take his Rubi off-road?” Or “the Sahara isn’t a REAL Jeep.” If someone else is happy with their Jeep, I am happy for them. I love the Jeep wave, so I get excited each time I pass one. Reminds me of being a kid when my dad would wave to the other jeeps.

Anyhow, glad to see I am not the only one who feels passionate about manual transmissions. Breaks my heart I can’t buy a half ton pick up in a manual. Never thought that day would come. Times are changing, but at least I will be driving a standard for the next 5-8 years. :like:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The wife wanted an automatic, I wanted the standard. She wore down eventually and I ordered the standard.

I picked up my Rubi 2 days ago. So far so good. I don’t know why anyone would look down on anyone for what they drive and what they like. I have other things to worry about other than “will that guy ever take his Rubi off-road?” Or “the Sahara isn’t a REAL Jeep.” If someone else is happy with their Jeep, I am happy for them. I love the Jeep wave, so I get excited each time I pass one. Reminds me of being a kid when my dad would wave to the other jeeps.

Anyhow, glad to see I am not the only one who feels passionate about manual transmissions. Breaks my heart I can’t buy a half ton pick up in a manual. Never thought that day would come. Times are changing, but at least I will be driving a standard for the next 5-8 years. :like:
One nice thing about getting older is I don't give two shits what some stranger thinks about what I drive or really anything else.

Last edited:

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Search around the forum. There is at least another guy describing exactly the same issue. ( or was it you? )Definitely something to look at. Mine hasn’t done anything like that.
it wasn't me. Hate to hear someone else has a problem with their Jeep, but I'm glad to know I'm not crazy.

mlong003

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I've always driven a manual transmission. I love being engaged with the vehicle, having control and being on your toes. Plus, it makes the wrangler experience more fun! For some reason though, I've been having knee pain with the clutch in my 2016 JK. Any adjustments I can make to assist?

Sponsored

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Question for everyone who had an automatic vehicle before getting there manual JL, do you miss not having remote start? I'm thinking about going the manual route but I know Ill lose the remote start function. With two young ones I wasn't sure if that would be a major issue or not, I tend to think not but could be wrong .

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Everyone's different. My wife's car has remote start and she never uses it. We have mild weather and a garage. And my work has a covered parking deck. So remote start isn't a priority for me.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Love the manual on my sport S but is anyone getting anyone near 20 mpg like the auto guys are reporting? I have a company car so this is a second/weekend vehicle so I’m not too concerned until I see people talking about awesome mpg. Stock, I averaged 16.7 and with a 2.5 inch lift and Rubi take offs, I can’t get over 15.4, mostly highway and I’m trying for good mpg’s, just out of curiousity. Tires are 35 psi and south Florida is super flat but 6th on the interstate, under 75 looses speed with any breeze.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Love the manual on my sport S but is anyone getting anyone near 20 mpg like the auto guys are reporting? I have a company car so this is a second/weekend vehicle so I’m not too concerned until I see people talking about awesome mpg. Stock, I averaged 16.7 and with a 2.5 inch lift and Rubi take offs, I can’t get over 15.4, mostly highway and I’m trying for good mpg’s, just out of curiousity. Tires are 35 psi and south Florida is super flat but 6th on the interstate, under 75 looses speed with any breeze.
I live in a very hilly area and I have been doing a lot of in-town driving. Currently around 16.5. I just can't seem to get it to maintain speed around 50 MPH in the hills without a heavy foot. I am doing some highway driving this week so I am hoping it will even out a little bit. Going to the NC mountains on Friday and expecting below 15 MPG on the way up.

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
I am in western pa and have averaged 19.5 in my Rubi on 2 tanks of gas and I haven’t been trying for great mileage. But I don’t have a heavy foot either. I’m never in a hurry, it seems, to get anywhere in my Jeep. Just more time to spend in it :)
Sponsored