Sponsored

The clutch gang!

Kryten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
...And BTW the trolling and disparaging comments I can do without. This is a family friendly forum.
Oh, I'm so sorry if my use of the term wee-wee warped the minds any 8 year old Wrangler enthusiasts that are on the forums! Please forgive me. As for trolling, you were the one telling other people they don't know how to drive. I won't reply to any more of your comments. Feel free to carry on telling everyone how dumb they are because they don't do things exactly like you do.
Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm late to the party but I just took delivery of my 2dr 6spd JL Willys custom build three weeks ago. I'm 53 yrs old and have had a lot of cars but this is the most fun to drive car I've ever had (my 2009 Infiniti G37Xs was a close second). Like so many others have said, I feel the manual transmission just puts me in better touch with the vehicle. I truly enjoy driving and the manual is just another way to make it even more enjoyable.

I learned to drive a manual. My dad was career Air Force and he approached everything with military precision, including teaching us kids to drive. He would hold a full cup of coffee during each driving lesson and God help you if any of it sloshed out!
Congrats Craig and welcome!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I'm afraid that's a terrible idea. Keeping the clutch in at a stop is the worst thing you can do for the throwout bearing. The time spent under load while you wait at a light generates a ton of friction and heat which reduces it's life. A quick shift between gears doesn't wear on the throwout bearings as it's only under full load for a second or so at most.
I've driven over a million miles in my own vehicles in my life, all in manual transmission vehicles, and have never had an issue doing just this.

Sponsored

Countryswiss

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
do you have a JL with manual transmission? If you do, please say so and maybe tell why you still like to drive with a stick.
I’m just curious how many of us are left. It was very difficult to find my JLU with Manual transmission. Most dealers said they would not carry them for stock, that it had to be ordered.
10 years ago was the same story with my FJ Cruiser.
I love to be in full control of the gears. I guess I like driving for the sake of driving. A car to me is much more than just a mean of transportation. Just like I love analog watches, and mechanical ones even more.
And by the way, I really like the JL transmission. I believe it is Japanese.
Im happy with my manual, I had a throwout bearing problem but they fixed it free of charge. Manual driving is just more involved and more enjoyable to me

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Millennial with manual checkin' in. Automatics just feel like cheating somehow. I also feel like you pay less attention if the car is shifting for you. I got really lucky when I found my '19. I wanted a stick shift but also manual door locks and windows. Mine might be the only one out there.

I recently bought this decal for the back window.....

Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! IMG_3053

Last edited:

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Millennial with manual car checkin' in. Automatics just feel like cheating somehow. I also feel like you pay less attention if the car is shifting for you. I got really lucky when I found my '19. I wanted a stick shift but also manual door locks and windows. Mine might be the only one out there.

I recently bought this decal for the back window.....

IMG_3053.jpg
Love that decal. Where'd you get it? Thanks for breaking the Millenial mold ;-)

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i gotta laugh at some of the "know it alls" in this thread. Like many others, driven a stick all my life 98% of the time at a light sit in gear w the clutch in. I do the same on my bike. Never had any trouble, or issues. I even use my clutch to shift ya know like it was designed for :surprised:

Sponsored

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I was tempted to get a 392 and probably would have if it came in a manual. I know people speak highly of the auto transmission, but there is just something about being able to row your own gears and have full control.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
i gotta laugh at some of the "know it alls" in this thread. Like many others, driven a stick all my life 98% of the time at a light sit in gear w the clutch in. I do the same on my bike. Never had any trouble, or issues. I even use my clutch to shift ya know like it was designed for :surprised:
Agreed. Same here.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They are designed to last for many thousands of shift cycles. However, the more time you spend with the clutch in, the more wear occurs. You may never know it from the driver's seat, but pop one out and you may be shocked just how bad it really is. A best practice is still a best practice even if you've never personally suffered a failure. I try to avoid extended time clutch-in, but some conditions call for it.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
For myself it's for safety to get out of the way from being rear ended. Of course I keep a safe gap behind vehicles and practice the S.M.I.T.H. system.