The clutch gang!

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Add me to the club once my Jeep actually gets built! What I have realized is that over the years my biggest issue with most of my cars/trucks is the auto tranny...most of the newer models have too many gears and are too computerized to behave how they should. I will say that the ZF 8 speed that Jeep (and many other brands) have been using is actually pretty darn good, but they are still far from perfect. My 2 cents ;)
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Driving with a manual is more interesting; I've never owned a car with an automatic and never will.

Driving with an automatic is boring, and yes I include in traffic.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
:movember:So there are about 15 of us with MT ( that responded) and it seems only Dirt 32 from the East Coast.
I meant west coast :)

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
East coast, manual. Love it. BUT how in the hell do you drive a manual without a clutch? I've been driving a stick for a longgggg time. I have no clue what everyone is talking about.
It’s not that hard. Granted, it was easier with the OLD un synchronized transmissions. But let’s say your clutch is out. The tough thing is to get going. So you turn off the car, place it in 1 gear and turn the key to start. The car jumps forward and you get going. Then you accelerate some and at the moment you let the gas off you shift to 2. The trick is to get the time right, that moment the gear is “floating” between acceleration and compression. Then repeat for the other gears. It is way easier to shift upwards than downwards, but with a little practice is doable. And believe me, there is no grinding sounds or anything. It is smooth.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not that hard. Granted, it was easier with the OLD un synchronized transmissions. But let’s say you clutch is out. The tough thing is to get going. So you turn off the car, place it in 1 gear and turn the key to start. The car jumps forward and you get going. Then you accelerate some and at the moment you let the gas off you shift to 2. The trick is to get the time right, that moment the gear is “floating” between acceleration and compression. The repeat for the other gears. It is way easier to shift upwards than downwards, but with a little practice is doable. And believe me, there is grinding sounds or anything. It is smooth.
Ah and forgot to tell you how to stop! So you are approaching a ligh and you are in 4. So you tap the gas and as you let go you shift to neutral and coast to stop. Then you turn the engine off, put it in 1 and start all over.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have one, but I would like to buy one. my problem is, I really would like to try it before I buy it and there are ZERO Rubicon manuals in my area . trying a sahara or sport wont be the same because of the gearing differences.
I don't like automatics. I currently have 2 sticks and 2 autos (because they don't offer sticks with the 2 I own) and I would like to get rid of the 2 autos.
My kids learned to drive on one of our manuals... '78 LandCruiser FJ40.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have one, but I would like to buy one. my problem is, I really would like to try it before I buy it and there are ZERO Rubicon manuals in my area . trying a sahara or sport wont be the same because of the gearing differences.
I don't like automatics. I currently have 2 sticks and 2 autos (because they don't offer sticks with the 2 I own) and I would like to get rid of the 2 autos.
My kids learned to drive on one of our manuals... '78 LandCruiser FJ40.
Not sure if this help, but my wife and I were set on getting her an Automatic(She hasnt owned a manual in several years.)
Well for kicks I found one in the exact configuration we were looking for but a 6spd. We went to drive it and she fell in love with it. She didn't stall once test driving it which suprised me from years of not driving a standard(And no she wasn't riding/burning the clutch.)

I personally ordered the 6spd on my Rubi from the factory before test driving one and I am very happy I did. The manual transmission to me may be one of the biggest improvements on the JL over the JK.

My ONLY complaint is first gear feels very short on the Rubicon(which I'm sure I will love offroad), but I have learned to shift quickly to second when trying to slowly cruise.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the short first doesn't bother me.... in my youth I had a scout with a granny low 4 speed. with the engine screaming I think I only got 8mph out of it...and in 4low it inched along... but it could pull a house down. quirk of the truck. I used second unless I was on a hill, loaded, or just felt like chirping the tires.
the 40 year old aisin 4 speed in my fj40 is amazing, so I'm sure the one in the jeep will be fine. id just like to feel it first.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
:movember:So there are about 15 of us with MT ( that responded) and it seems only Dirt 32 from the East Coast.
East Coaster, here. :rock:

Sponsored

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
do you have a JL with manual transmission? If you do, please say so and maybe tell why you still like to drive with a stick.
I’m just curious how many of us are left. It was very difficult to find my JLU with Manual transmission. Most dealers said they would not carry them for stock, that it had to be ordered.
10 years ago was the same story with my FJ Cruiser.
I love to be in full control of the gears. I guess I like driving for the sake of driving. A car to me is much more than just a mean of transportation. Just like I love analog watches, and mechanical ones even more.
And by the way, I really like the JL transmission. I believe it is Japanese.

Watch this video from the 11:10 mark. Manual drivers will be glad with their choice

Smudgynut

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
My wife and I haven't driven a manual for about 10-15 years but when I started to look at the JL, both of us wanted the manual. My last vehicle was a Toyota Tundra and I used the selected shift portion all of the time so I really knew that I wanted that manual in the Jeep. Took me a little bit to get back into the groove but like they always say, it's just like riding a bike. Plus I have three kids that I want to know how to drive a manual. This is the first time ordering a new vehicle that I didn't test drive nor saw one in person. I love it and look forward to driving it everyday.

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Yeah that’s another reason I got the manual. All three of my kids will know how to drive a stick. I had my daughter, she’s 16, out in my JK learning the stick before I traded it in. She hasn’t wanted to go out in the JL yet but I’m not sure if I’m ready for that either!

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:lipssealed:My kids learned in my FJ Cruiser 6 speed mt. :lipssealed:

whitebear

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon
i am waiting on my jeep to show up i ordered it with a manual cause i tend to space out with automatics cause there is nothing to do also i have never owned a vehicle with a auto i taught my self to drive a manual too
Sponsored