The clutch gang!

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
do you have a JL with manual transmission? If you do, please say so and maybe tell why you still like to drive with a stick.
I’m just curious how many of us are left. It was very difficult to find my JLU with Manual transmission. Most dealers said they would not carry them for stock, that it had to be ordered.
10 years ago was the same story with my FJ Cruiser.
I love to be in full control of the gears. I guess I like driving for the sake of driving. A car to me is much more than just a mean of transportation. Just like I love analog watches, and mechanical ones even more.
And by the way, I really like the JL transmission. I believe it is Japanese.
Sponsored

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have driven manual most of my adult life. My first car was manual (81 z28 w 4 speed), since have owned two Jeep that were manual and one on order. My wife and I both enjoy driving a manual and her car is auto so it was a must for the Jeep.

I also couldn’t rationalize $2k for an option I did not want.

I feel less involved when driving an auto.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I’m relatively happy with the manual. Ordered it that way because I’ve always had it in my mind that a manual goes well with a Jeep. But I will say, if the price were the same for the Auto and manual, I’d be driving the auto. I feel it’s a wonderful transmission that actually helps make the Jeep feel like it’s got guts. The manual feels better than ever though, and I won’t say I have any regrets. But maybe not as good as the auto feels.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's strictly personal preference, though I'm more of a purist and all of my prior Wranglers have been standards. Then again, I never thought I'd own a Wrangler with a digital screen or dual climate control either! ;)

Admittedly, my JL is a secondary vehicle, and while I understand (and don't judge others), I simply wouldn't buy one that's an automatic. I truly love the mechanics and feel of working through the gears.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
do you have a JL with manual transmission? If you do, please say so and maybe tell why you still like to drive with a stick.
I’m just curious how many of us are left. It was very difficult to find my JLU with Manual transmission. Most dealers said they would not carry them for stock, that it had to be ordered.
10 years ago was the same story with my FJ Cruiser.
I love to be in full control of the gears. I guess I like driving for the sake of driving. A car to me is much more than just a mean of transportation. Just like I love analog watches, and mechanical ones even more.
I LOVE to shift gears! It makes you interact more with the vehicle, which is fun most of the time, but especially on a winding country road. It involves more feel than an auto, as well, so you feel the engine and shift by that feel. Sometimes I look at the tach, but after while, there is no need, because you can feel/hear it.

All 3 of my Jeeps have been manual transmissions. As nice as that new auto is, I wouldn't want it any other way. This JL gearbox, clutch, and shifter are just superb. The gearing is perfectly mated to the 3.6 PUG, even with 35's.

When I ordered it, my wife said, "You'd better get a stick shift or it won't be a real Jeep, to me." She loves it, too. I've noticed her driving the JK quite a bit. She told me today she doesn't like the location of reverse on the JL, so she prefers the JK. Works for me! Lol!

Tavox

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I have pretty much only have driven manual all my life. Would never buy automatic. And for the same exact reasons op stated.
Had an automatic car once, hated it so much I traded it in less that a year old, never again lol.
There were no manual to test drive which sucked.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Water and Heat will both kill an auto, off road. You can still get home without a clutch in a manual. Survival of the fittest .
Yep, I drove my JK halfway across the country with no clutch on the way to Moab. I lucked out and found a dealer open on a Saturday who had a new slave cylinder in stock. They had me back on the road in 2 hours. Saved the trip!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
  • It’s fun
  • My oldest is 16 in June, and I want him (and my other two kids when they’re old enough) to learn on a manual.
  • I have a 50 mile round trip commute, usually all stop and go. It’s sooo boring in an auto (I never understand when people argue the other way about manuals and traffic)
  • I like engine braking to save my actual brakes
  • More control in the snow
  • It’s fun

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is much smoother and more positively engages than the JK. I've felt cable shifters that had terrible feel and I've felt direct linkage shifters that had terrible feel. One isn't necessarily better than the other. It is how its done that matters. The JL has been done VERY well, with great feel and smooth shifting, with zero vibration. The JK feels like a dump truck shifter compared to the JL. (Don't get me wrong, I love my old dump truck, but it is a different animal and is MUCH less civilized.)

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it is. It is made by Aisin, whose majority owner is none other than Toyota. Interestingly, my first Jeep, a YJ, had an Aisin transmission. It served me well in that old YJ. Wish I still had it!

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I probably shouldn't contribute here,...having bought an auto. But, I'd have loved to get stick. I miss having a clutch pedal every day. But, it just doesn't work for our family. I'm looking forward to the new 8 spd over the 5spd though.

Also...my favourite mechanical watch I own, is a Seiko spring drive....which some purists don't love, but I think it's fantastic.

So..you mentioned manual transmission, mechanical watches, and Japanese...so I had to reply.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a confession to make. I’ll try to keep it short. I have not bent a fan of Jeeps. I’ve alternated between Land Rovers and Land Cruisers (there are Toyotas and then there are Land Cruisers). Back in the 80’s living in Costa Rica the Wrangler came out and I had to have one. It was a looker. Rode nice until one day climbing a volcano the darn thing would not go up steeper than 15%. the fuel pump wouldn’t feed the carburetor. With all buddies laughing I made the whole climb up the mountain in reverse. Swore never again to have a Jeep and went back to the Land Cruiser. Let me tell you, it is really hard to beat a 4.2 liter turbo diesel Land Cruiser. The USA missed one of the greatest engines ever. Any way, fast forward to 2018 and I shopping for a SUV. My wife says it has to be stick shift. The Cruiser is great but boring. I say, we are out of luck. There is no real SUV in the USA with a stick shift. She’s determined to find one. Then she says here is the list: BMW X? and Porsche Cayenne. Hum, both of them hardly what I would call SUV, and most important in both cases to get the MT you got to buy the most underpowered of the line. I said if I’m driving a BMW or Porsche it has to be the one with the HP that goes with the image.
Went to a car show and there was a crowd around the Rubicon!!! Got one and I’ll cross my fingers when I run into a 15%+ grade lol.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably shouldn't contribute here,...having bought an auto. But, I'd have loved to get stick. I miss having a clutch pedal every day. But, it just doesn't work for our family. I'm looking forward to the new 8 spd over the 5spd though.

Also...my favourite mechanical watch I own, is a Seiko spring drive....which some purists don't love, but I think it's fantastic.

So..you mentioned manual transmission, mechanical watches, and Japanese...so I had to reply.
If I were in your shoes, I would give a really hard look into the family lol
Sponsored