The clutch gang!

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Yellow on the JLUR looks great! I debated yellow vs red when I ordered mine. The yellow is nice with the contrast for the red around the writing. Also, it is much rarer to see.

btw, regarding this thread. I also have a manual trans on my JLUR and my wife's JLUS does as well. I like the control and it's more fun to drive on and off road.
I love the yellow. I like bright colors. I donā€™t know why jerp added another dark color. Even though the sarge green looks nice they need to add some more bright colors.
I grabbed the mojito knowing it was going to be limited. But I was in the fence with the yellow.
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yellow on the JLUR looks great! I debated yellow vs red when I ordered mine. The yellow is nice with the contrast for the red around the writing. Also, it is much rarer to see.

btw, regarding this thread. I also have a manual trans on my JLUR and my wife's JLUS does as well. I like the control and it's more fun to drive on and off road.
Definitely more fun. My friends think Iā€™m nuts for having a manual. My sonā€™s friends think Iā€™m cool, lol. Only one of them knows how to drive a stick.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are for sale. Nothing wrong with the clutch. If it is set up correctly and you drive it correctly, it will serve you long and well.
So what exactly is wrong with the ones that are exploding? Driver error? Or just a bad batch of plates?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dan
I think you can tell by reading my posts that Iā€™m scared of blowing up.
I havenā€™t had any issues with my clutch thankfully. But it still worries me.
That's perfectly understandable.

So let's change perspective. Out of some 46,000 or more only 1, maybe 2, resulted in a fire, from what I could gather from NHTSA. And the new software will detect slipping long before temps would get near the 1100 degrees that permanently damages the pressure plate. Plus, they've put parts in to protect hydraulic lines should a catastrophic failure take place.

However, I'd recommend the automatic if it worries you too much. But I think it'll be fine and give you good service as long as you own it. Mine is at 42k and performs like new. I drive it hard and tow, too.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's perfectly understandable.

So let's change perspective. Out of some 46,000 or more only 1, maybe 2, resulted in a fire, from what I could gather from NHTSA. And the new software will detect slipping long before temps would get near the 1100 degrees that permanently damages the pressure plate. Plus, they've put parts in to protect hydraulic lines should a catastrophic failure take place.

However, I'd recommend the automatic if it worries you too much. But I think it'll be fine and give you good service as long as you own it. Mine is at 42k and performs like new. I drive it hard and tow, too.
Iā€™m sure my worry is ultra paranoia but all Iā€™ve been reading about is how shrapnel can come through the floor and cut my legs off.
my husband thinks Iā€™m worrying needlessly.
What I donā€™t understand is are the plates actually defective or itā€™s just the software wasnā€™t programmed right from the get go?
I did have the sleeve out on the wires already with the first recall.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly is wrong with the ones that are exploding? Driver error? Or just a bad batch of plates?
Best educated guess from NHTSA and FCA docs was improper bleeding of the hydraulic system causing excessive slipping due to the clutch not fully disengaging or engaging. Under certain conditions, it would excessively slip, building up tremendous heat. In most cases it wore out the clutch. In extreme cases it got temps over 1000 degrees causing the pressure plate to weaken. In a few cases, it fractured causing an uncontained failure. In other words, it blew apart and broke out of the bell housing. In 1, maybe 2 cases, pieces cut a hydraulic line and caused a fire. No injuries were reported. Recall 1 re-bled the hydraulic system (slave cylinder), checked for a worn clutch, and put a sleeve over the vulnerable hydraulic lines and may have added or changed other small parts. Clutches were replaced if worn. Driver error could contribute, but I doubt it was the main factor in any of these.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Iā€™ve been reading about is how shrapnel can come through the floor and cut my legs off.
Not possible. The few that have fractured broke through the bell housing on the bottom. Fires (only a couple) were very bad luck in that a fractured bit came in contact with the fuel line.

There is no way a piece of fractured pressure plate can make it through the housing, floor, carpet, mat, and your leg.

If you just canā€™t sleep at night over this, look into South Bend Clutch. Lots of feedback on Centerforce around here, but that clutch is really heavy and made for severe off roading. They drive like a tractor, which is great if itā€™s what you want/need. South Bend have been around forever and make quality clutches. Great option for a DD.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best educated guess from NHTSA and FCA docs was improper bleeding of the hydraulic system causing excessive slipping due to the clutch not fully disengaging or engaging. Under certain conditions, it would excessively slip, building up tremendous heat. In most cases it wore out the clutch. In extreme cases it got temps over 1000 degrees causing the pressure plate to weaken. In a few cases, it fractured causing an uncontained failure. In other words, it blew apart and broke out of the bell housing. In 1, maybe 2 cases, pieces cut a hydraulic line and caused a fire. No injuries were reported. Recall 1 re-bled the hydraulic system (slave cylinder), checked for a worn clutch, and put a sleeve over the vulnerable hydraulic lines and may have added or changed other small parts. Clutches were replaced if worn.
Thanks, Dan. You are indeed the wise man of the forums.
I will keep monitoring the threads. I'm sure if some catastrophe happens we will hear about it.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not possible. The few that have fractured broke through the bell housing on the bottom. Fires (only a couple) were very bad luck in that a fractured bit came in contact with the fuel line.

There is no way a piece of fractured pressure plate can make it through the housing, floor, carpet, mat, and your leg.

If you just canā€™t sleep at night over this, look into South Bend Clutch. Lots of feedback on Centerforce around here, but that clutch is really heavy and made for severe off roading. They drive like a tractor, which is great if itā€™s what you want/need. South Bend have been around forever and make quality clutches. Great option for a DD.
I worry more about things now than when I was younger. I guess that automatically happens over 50, lol. I have heard of south bend clutch, thanks for the advice. I'll see what happens. I have an appointment for an oil change tomorrow. I'll find out from the dealer when they expect the fix to come in.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sure my worry is ultra paranoia but all Iā€™ve been reading about is how shrapnel can come through the floor and cut my legs off.
my husband thinks Iā€™m worrying needlessly.
What I donā€™t understand is are the plates actually defective or itā€™s just the software wasnā€™t programmed right from the get go?
I did have the sleeve out on the wires already with the first recall.
The location of the clutch is well forward of your legs and centrifugal force would spin it straight out, so I'd never imagine it being a threat like that. It hits forward of the firewall, which is forward of your feet. I would not lose 1 millisecond of sleep over it. You've got a greater chance of getting t-boned than that thing coming apart, especially after the software update. Heck, you might have a better chance of an airliner dumping its frozen crap into your lap while sitting in your living room. Ok, maybe not, but I really would not worry. Just enjoy that Jeep. Dream of the places it will take you! It is a VERY good transmission made by a reputable company. They had a perfect storm type issue and they've figured it out, thank God without anyone getting hurt. Life has no guarantees, but worrying won't gain you a day or even a minute.

What adventures do you have planned? My Jeep is heading with a group 0f 5 others next week to Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari! I know you've got some places out East that would be great. I think there's a famous highway in upstate NY somewhere around the Finger Lakes that would be just killer in that Jeep with the top down and rowing the gears! You've also got the northern part of the Appalachian Byway that runs through VT, NH, and ME. We're looking to do that one in October!

Think these kinds of thoughts....

NfoYeSW.jpg

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I worry more about things now than when I was younger. I guess that automatically happens over 50, lol. I have heard of south bend clutch, thanks for the advice. I'll see what happens. I have an appointment for an oil change tomorrow. I'll find out from the dealer when they expect the fix to come in.
I hear ya on getting older. šŸ˜‚

Check out this page - click on ā€œlearn about stagesā€https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/13157/

The stage 2 looks perfect. If I had an extra couple of grand to blow and was worried about the stock config, Iā€™d be tempted...

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The location of the clutch is well forward of your legs and centrifugal force would spin it straight out, so I'd never imagine it being a threat like that. It hits forward of the firewall, which is forward of your feet. I would not lose 1 millisecond of sleep over it. You've got a greater chance of getting t-boned than that thing coming apart, especially after the software update. Heck, you might have a better chance of an airliner dumping its frozen crap into your lap while sitting in your living room. Ok, maybe not, but I really would not worry. Just enjoy that Jeep. Dream of the places it will take you! It is a VERY good transmission made by a reputable company. They had a perfect storm type issue and they've figured it out, thank God without anyone getting hurt. Life has no guarantees, but worrying won't gain you a day or even a minute.

What adventures do you have planned? My Jeep is heading with a group 0f 5 others next week to Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari! I know you've got some places out East that would be great. I think there's a famous highway in upstate NY somewhere around the Finger Lakes that would be just killer in that Jeep with the top down and rowing the gears! You've also got the northern part of the Appalachian Byway that runs through VT, NH, and ME. We're looking to do that one in October!

Think these kinds of thoughts....

Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! NfoYeSW
Thanks. You gave me a good chuckle.
surelooks like fun on the rocks. I havenā€™t done that. Just took it in the beach.
Iā€™ll have to find out the places upstate NY and try it out. I never go up that way but it would be a nice weekend getaway.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Imp
I thought so too. I went to the web page and did a build and it was available. Maybe its only once you go in person they tell ya.
I ordered one in January and the clutch fix has already been applied (software update). Just waiting on it to get from rail yard to dealer.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imp

I ordered one in January and the clutch fix has already been applied (software update). Just waiting on it to get from rail yard to dealer.
You traded in your 2018?
Sponsored