Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
+1 theft deterrent
21 JLR 6 speed, my wife loves it, very smooth transmission especially when compared to our former 1997 TJ SE stick.
I put pedal extenders on because she's not very tall, they work great.
Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! Pedals

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
4 out of our last 5 cars have been manuals. I’m lucky because my wife likes driving a manual - even in a 2017 Crosstrek.
My 2 door Rubi just had to be a manual lol

Sponsored

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a manual and I love it. The JL manual transmission is a lot better than the one that was in my JK.

I like to drive my car, not just sit in it being bored. Every car I've owned has been a manual.

Rayf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Hey y’all!
Just bought my first jeep and I love it. It’s a 2018 Sahara JL with a manual transmission. What are your thoughts of putting bigger tires, lift, etc on a manual transmission. I’m torn between getting 35s or 33s...
Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! 742A6E99-802B-406D-BC64-41A5CEEB67DE

Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! ADB8A4D0-3BFA-434A-931E-6DF49942E5EA

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey y’all!
Just bought my first jeep and I love it. It’s a 2018 Sahara JL with a manual transmission. What are your thoughts of putting bigger tires, lift, etc on a manual transmission. I’m torn between getting 35s or 33s...

Congrats! Great looking JL. You may as well jump straight to 35s. Rubbing be minimal and if you lift it in the future, you won't need to re-tire right away

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey y’all!

Gorgeous Jeep! That thing will be fast and fun!

Here's a pic of mine. 2" Mopar lift and 315/70/17 KO2s. It is a blast to drive and didn't lose much power from when it had 33's. Of course, the Rubi came stock with 4.10 gearing. I think yours would be great with 33's (power wise) and still good with 35's. I'm assuming it doesn't have 4.10 gearing.

Anyway, one thing that helps is the light weight of the KO2 tires. There are other lightweight tire options, too, such as Goodyear Duratracs. I stuck with stock rims to keep weight down, too. I think it keeps things easy on the drive train components and gets more power to the pavement.

Either way, or even if you leave it bone stock, you're going to love it. After 40k miles I enjoy driving mine just as much as the day I took it home. Maybe even more, as the 3.6 has really broken-in and seems to rev even more freely since 20k.

NNjjDUl.jpg

Sponsored

Rayf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Congrats! Great looking JL. You may as well jump straight to 35s. Rubbing be minimal and if you lift it in the future, you won't need to re-tire right away
Thank you! I’m really leaning towards 35s.
Is a regear encouraged because it’s a manual? I’ve been looking at cost and wow it gets pricey but if it’s necessary it’ll get done, I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time

Rayf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Gorgeous Jeep! That thing will be fast and fun!

Here's a pic of mine. 2" Mopar lift and 315/70/17 KO2s. It is a blast to drive and didn't lose much power from when it had 33's. Of course, the Rubi came stock with 4.10 gearing. I think yours would be great with 33's (power wise) and still good with 35's. I'm assuming it doesn't have 4.10 gearing.

Anyway, one thing that helps is the light weight of the KO2 tires. There are other lightweight tire options, too, such as Goodyear Duratracs. I stuck with stock rims to keep weight down, too. I think it keeps things easy on the drive train components and gets more power to the pavement.

Either way, or even if you leave it bone stock, you're going to love it. After 40k miles I enjoy driving mine just as much as the day I took it home. Maybe even more, as the 3.6 has really broken-in and seems to rev even more freely since 20k.

Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! NNjjDUl
looks Good man. I’m thinking of a similar set up! I know the gears arnt the same as a rubicon, I was looking at re gearing to 4.56. I won’t go any bigger than 35s. I’ll look into those tires!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I’m really leaning towards 35s.
Is a regear encouraged because it’s a manual? I’ve been looking at cost and wow it gets pricey but if it’s necessary it’ll get done, I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time
While the cost is steep, the KO2 lasts a very long time. Mine are at 40k with a 5 tire rotation and have LOTS of life left. It think if I ran them close to the wear bars they'd get to 70k. I'll probably replace them at 60k because I can still get a couple hundred for them at a used tire dealer. Plus, I don't like off-roading with minimal tread.

I can't speak for other tires, but I'm sure there are some that wear well. BFG tires are known for longevity, though. I've had several sets over the years and all lasted a long time.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
looks Good man. I’m thinking of a similar set up! I know the gears arnt the same as a rubicon, I was looking at re gearing to 4.56. I won’t go any bigger than 35s. I’ll look into those tires!
With 4.56 gearing and 35s you'd be at least as quick as stock, maybe even a little quicker. That thing would be a hoot!

People laugh when I say this, but it is true. I enjoy driving that Jeep on a twisty road as much as I do off-road. So much fun. It has a Magnaflow axle back exhaust, too, so it sounds GREAT when on the pipe!

Rayf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
With 4.56 gearing and 35s you'd be at least as quick as stock, maybe even a little quicker. That thing would be a hoot!

People laugh when I say this, but it is true. I enjoy driving that Jeep on a twisty road as much as I do off-road. So much fun. It has a Magnaflow axle back exhaust, too, so it sounds GREAT when on the pipe!
Hell yea. I’m looking to eventually upgrade the exhaust too just trying to be financially responsible and prioritize what I want to upgrade 👍🏼
but I can’t wait I’m doing all the reassaech now.I plan to do everything after the new year
Sponsored