Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Wave,

Not much different i can say that hasn't been said already. New owner of a 2020 JLU SAHARA.. I have been driving manual transmissions since day one. I have two boys which i will teach to drive manual as well. I feel that if you learn to drive manual you can drive any vehicle.
I completely enjoy having control over the vehicle. I feel that its simpler and more reliable. Oh and I love that no one ask me if they can drive my car.. :)
SAVE THE MANUALS!!
Sponsored

X1inSC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLUR
SAVE THE MANUALS!!
I whole heartedly agree! I ordered my first Jeep in January this year, primarily to go back to driving a manual. However, Jeep called me yesterday to say the manuals are on a production delay with no clear start date in sight. So frustrating.

04JRB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had to place an order to get the manual trans on my JLUR, but I didn't want it any other way. I have always preferred manual transmissions. Of the 15 vehicles I have owned, all but 4 were manuals. All 4 of those were full size pickups where it wast available when buying a new one or I was buying used and that is what it came with.

I suppose that I still prefer it because i feel more engaged while driving. In the sports cars I have owned, its more about always being in the gear I want to be in and being able to hit the rpm's I want on shifts for better track times. I think with the new 8 speed auto transmissions nowadays, that isn't as big of a deal but it was when it was still 4 speeds not that long ago.

This is my first Jeep, and it drives differently than other manuals that I have owned. It reminds me of driving a stake truck or dump truck, lol. Very low first gear, fairly short second gear and all tall gears from 3 and up.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I searched around and haven't been able to find this question asked. When descending steep hills and mountain passes, is there a max RPM I should not go over when in 3rd or even 2nd gear? Even where I live, for example, there is steep decline where the speed limit is 25 mph and if I keep it in 3rd, I have to use the brakes way too much for my liking, but if I keep it in 2nd and just coast the rpms will exceed 4000. I just want to know if there's a safe rpm range for coasting down extended declines.
Yes Paul, ToyCrusher is right just don't go into that red zone on your tachometer gauge. Maybe even stay a thousand below the red to be safe. The one thing that disappoints me about these Pentastar engines is the lack of compression when you want to "engine brake". All these years driving Stick shift was nice getting a ton of miles out of my brakes. I'm not sure if its the weight of the Jeep or the modern engine but downshifting doesn't slow her down like in the past.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes Paul, ToyCrusher is right just don't go into that red zone on your tachometer gauge. Maybe even stay a thousand below the red to be safe. The one thing that disappoints me about these Pentastar engines is the lack of compression when you want to "engine brake". All these years driving Stick shift was nice getting a ton of miles out of my brakes. I'm not sure if its the weight of the Jeep or the modern engine but downshifting doesn't slow her down like in the past.
Soon as i can hide away a couple Gs i plan to get the new center force clutch with the heavier flywheel. I have a feeling it will fix many of my annoyances including potentially the poor engine braking

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Soon as i can hide away a couple Gs i plan to get the new center force clutch with the heavier flywheel. I have a feeling it will fix many of my annoyances including potentially the poor engine braking
Soon as I can get a few extra g’s I’ll be re-gearing my JLU so I can get bigger tires AND still tow my trailer.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately TC I don't think the heavier clutch and flywheel will help with engine braking. Your current clutch is not slipping when you attempt to engine brake. The engine is just spinning faster.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Just picked up my 2020 JLUR yesterday. Feels different than the 2018. I haven't made this one die driving it, so I guess it's better. 100 miles put on in a day so will have to wait and see if there's really a difference or just in my head.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
This...a different clutch isnt going to affect engine braking. He must be going down a super steep road if 4000 rpm's isnt slowing it down. I drive up and down a winding 1500' mountain every wk and at 3500 rpm's, it controls speed well going downhill.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Unfortunately TC I don't think the heavier clutch and flywheel will help with engine braking. Your current clutch is not slipping when you attempt to engine brake. The engine is just spinning faster.
The extra weight of the flywheel adds to inertial mass and takes more power to spin. That equals more drag when engine braking and also lower fuel economy when spinning the engine under power.

I just don't know if it's a 10% change I'll really feel or a .1% change only detectable with scientific instruments...

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Ford Explorer (manual) years ago. If I had a long exit ramp and no one was behind me I could go from 65 mph and shift down one at a time all the way to even 1st gear and not touch the brake. I had that vehicle 11 years and changed the brakes once. I don’t expect that with my Jeep because the lack of compression, but as far as preserving brake wear, the manual is still gonna do better than the automatic trans.

Cgs1967

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
It's strictly personal preference, though I'm more of a purist and all of my prior Wranglers have been standards. Then again, I never thought I'd own a Wrangler with a digital screen or dual climate control either! ;)

Admittedly, my JL is a secondary vehicle, and while I understand (and don't judge others), I simply wouldn't buy one that's an automatic. I truly love the mechanics and feel of working through the gears.
This is me exactly. I have owned many, CJ7, YJ, TJ, JK and now a 2020 JLU and all have been manual transmission. For me a Jeep should be a manual.

Babar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Sequoia
I whole heartedly agree! I ordered my first Jeep in January this year, primarily to go back to driving a manual. However, Jeep called me yesterday to say the manuals are on a production delay with no clear start date in sight. So frustrating.
Jeep called you? Do you mean your dealer or someone from the manufacturer? Did they give a reason why production of manuals is delayed?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Jeep called you? Do you mean your dealer or someone from the manufacturer? Did they give a reason why production of manuals is delayed?
Probably because of the pressure plate explosion recall lol
Sponsored