First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What do you guys makes of this thread?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/

My 2018 2dr Rubi (one of the very first 2drs off the line) has almost 30,000 miles on it and I have had ZERO issues. My clutch has never squeaked, it’s not too soft, it doesn’t feel dead near the floor, the gears don’t grind, the power band is exactly as I’d expect it to be for a Rubicon; in short, it’s been perfect. (For what it’s worth, my steering is also perfect and I passed the weld recall inspection.)

With many thousands of manuals on the road I expect a handful of issues reported to the NHTSA, and so I’m not worried about my Jeep going up in flames. Even so, damn... pretty scary stuff for those unlucky soles!
Only 4,000 miles on mine so far. Zero complaints about the clutch or transmission. It took a few hundred miles to get used to it for sure. I can say it’s rock solid on the street and on the trail.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What do you guys makes of this thread?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/

My 2018 2dr Rubi (one of the very first 2drs off the line) has almost 30,000 miles on it and I have had ZERO issues. My clutch has never squeaked, it’s not too soft, it doesn’t feel dead near the floor, the gears don’t grind, the power band is exactly as I’d expect it to be for a Rubicon; in short, it’s been perfect. (For what it’s worth, my steering is also perfect and I passed the weld recall inspection.)

With many thousands of manuals on the road I expect a handful of issues reported to the NHTSA, and so I’m not worried about my Jeep going up in flames. Even so, damn... pretty scary stuff for those unlucky soles!
No way to tell. How many have been reported tot he NHSTA? There could have been some defective or out of spec parts, but I don't see evidence of it being widespread enough to worry. I'm sure if there is a consistent pattern and it keeps happening, then you may see a recall at some point.

Most mass produced vehicles have some fires reported. Kia/Hundai just recently had a big recall over them, but there was a clear pattern, a clear culprit, and more than a handful with a defect. In fact, they identified precisely the defect. The JK's had a number of fires, too, but not enough of a pattern or specific failure to make a recall. It sucks for those affected, though.

I'd say wait and see what develops. In the meantime, I'm at 27k trouble free miles with my 6 speed and I've flogged it pretty hard. If it had a defective clutch or clutch assembly or whatever may be causing that, I think it would have shown up by now.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

In a manual it's all about gearing. A stock Rubicon has enough gearing to idle right up the side of a building till it rolls back on it's roof. You can get exactly the wheel speed you want without the jerkiness of an auto as your engine revs up before the converter finally engages. Plus, have fun riding your brakes down a steep decline, I can hold about 1 mph with my feet off the pedals down anything until my tires lose grip
I agree with you (tho maybe it's a matter of taste).
A question: do you ever do in-gear, no-clutch starts in 4L?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I agree with you (tho maybe it's a matter of taste).
A question: do you ever do in-gear, no-clutch starts in 4L?
I've never tried. I'm sure the starter could do it if the electrical nannies don't prevent it. I have rolled down forward and started by popping the clutch

Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I've never tried. I'm sure the starter could do it if the electrical nannies don't prevent it. I have rolled down forward and started by popping the clutch
I'd appreciate you giving it a try and letting me know what you find (there's not so many man trans owners to ask...). I used no-clutch start/stop routinely when crawling with my old 5sp Cherokee.
The JLU owners manual (p306) says you can do so, it's a "feature". However, my '18 JLUR 6sp won't (??!?).

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I'd appreciate you giving it a try and letting me know what you find (there's not so many man trans owners to ask...). I used no-clutch start/stop routinely when crawling with my old 5sp Cherokee.
The JLU owners manual (p306) says you can do so, it's a "feature". However, my '18 JLUR 6sp won't (??!?).
Someone posted here about starting in 4L without the clutch (sorry, I can't remember who), so I went out and tried it to verify.

It works, but only if the engine has stalled and it is a restart. It won't work from a cold start when the engine display says "Push Clutch and Button to Start."

If you stall in 4L (which you can do on purpose), the display changes and says something about starting without the clutch, and you have about 20-30 seconds to do so. It's not ideal, but it does work.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Someone posted here about starting in 4L without the clutch (sorry, I can't remember who), so I went out and tried it to verify.

It works, but only if the engine has stalled and it is a restart. It won't work from a cold start when the engine display says "Push Clutch and Button to Start."

If you stall in 4L (which you can do on purpose), the display changes and says something about starting without the clutch, and you have about 20-30 seconds to do so. It's not ideal, but it does work.
Thanks for checking. Your description matches my experience, except I have only a couple seconds before the "To Start in Gear Brake" display changes back to "Push Clutch...".

Apparently it's not just my jeep.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Thanks for checking. Your description matches my experience, except I have only a couple seconds before the "To Start in Gear Brake" display changes back to "Push Clutch...".

Apparently it's not just my jeep.
The whole idea of how this works boggles my mind...I've not spent a lot of time offroad, but if I stall, in a risky situation, or in water, where I dont want to depress my clutch...I feel like a countdown timer before it's too late is just going to add unnecessary stress to the situation. Maybe the tazer guys can figure out a workaround to this? Seems like a software fix?

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I agree. And maybe it is a software "bug" since the OM explicitly says clutch is not needed.
I've talked several times with JeepWave people (unfailingly polite but not knowledgable) and with two service managers--no one knew anything about it. Disappointing since I think Jeep owners are generally pretty enthusiastic, and good customers.

For one last try to get someone's attention at FCA, I've filled out the Jeep email form...

Sponsored

rocklobster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray,Rubicon,Manual,1974 Jensen Interceptor.previously 2007 Steel blue JKU,2010 Stone white JKU,2013 JKU Rock Lobster,Sahara,
This is my fourth Wrangler 4 door since 2007, all have been manual, I have driven rental JK's and JL's with autos and it really is a very different experience, and as have been mentioned, not as "involving". manuals are def in the minority and I expect to read in the next couple of years that they will not offer a manual on the Wrangler, or any car/truck.... I drive my Jeep a bit like a sports car, it is "automatic" for me to change gear and some people ask me if it is tiring or annoying, for me it's not annoying on any level, even in stop/go traffic. for sure my gas mileage is worse than an auto, I like to keep the revs on the boil around town, I know that some people see cars as purely an appliance, a way of getting from A to B....and that is fine... for me driving is a pleasure, I am happy when I see we are getting 30cm of snow as it gives me a chance to enjoy the capability... and saving $3k (CDN) by not optioning an auto does not hurt...!... I drove from NYC -LA a few years ago and I found it totally comfortable, even the cloth seats are more comfortable than the seats in the Range Rover and Cayenne I drive for work...especially on a longer drive... so I am in a minority on a few things !.. at the end of the day it is a personal choice, and one I will choose until they are no longer built...

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

This is my fourth Wrangler 4 door since 2007, all have been manual, I have driven rental JK's and JL's with autos and it really is a very different experience, and as have been mentioned, not as "involving". manuals are def in the minority and I expect to read in the next couple of years that they will not offer a manual on the Wrangler, or any car/truck.... I drive my Jeep a bit like a sports car, it is "automatic" for me to change gear and some people ask me if it is tiring or annoying, for me it's not annoying on any level, even in stop/go traffic. for sure my gas mileage is worse than an auto, I like to keep the revs on the boil around town, I know that some people see cars as purely an appliance, a way of getting from A to B....and that is fine... for me driving is a pleasure, I am happy when I see we are getting 30cm of snow as it gives me a chance to enjoy the capability... and saving $3k (CDN) by not optioning an auto does not hurt...!... I drove from NYC -LA a few years ago and I found it totally comfortable, even the cloth seats are more comfortable than the seats in the Range Rover and Cayenne I drive for work...especially on a longer drive... so I am in a minority on a few things !.. at the end of the day it is a personal choice, and one I will choose until they are no longer built...
Thanks! I actually am very pleased with my JLU Rubicon. And with the 6sp manual trans.
If I can get a definitive answer about the claimed no-clutch 4L operation, that would ice it!

BTW--Jensen Interceptor---COOL!! Doesn't that have a Hemi?

rocklobster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray,Rubicon,Manual,1974 Jensen Interceptor.previously 2007 Steel blue JKU,2010 Stone white JKU,2013 JKU Rock Lobster,Sahara,
Thanks! I actually am very pleased with my JLU Rubicon. And with the 6sp manual trans.
If I can get a definitive answer about the claimed no-clutch 4L operation, that would ice it!

BTW--Jensen Interceptor---COOL!! Doesn't that have a Hemi?
The Interceptor has a 440 7.2litre V8, but not a HEMI, they did do about 30 six pack also... has even worse millage than the Jeep :)

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I searched around and haven't been able to find this question asked. When descending steep hills and mountain passes, is there a max RPM I should not go over when in 3rd or even 2nd gear? Even where I live, for example, there is steep decline where the speed limit is 25 mph and if I keep it in 3rd, I have to use the brakes way too much for my liking, but if I keep it in 2nd and just coast the rpms will exceed 4000. I just want to know if there's a safe rpm range for coasting down extended declines.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I searched around and haven't been able to find this question asked. When descending steep hills and mountain passes, is there a max RPM I should not go over when in 3rd or even 2nd gear? Even where I live, for example, there is steep decline where the speed limit is 25 mph and if I keep it in 3rd, I have to use the brakes way too much for my liking, but if I keep it in 2nd and just coast the rpms will exceed 4000. I just want to know if there's a safe rpm range for coasting down extended declines.
Don't exceed redline of 6500 rpm. You can pop the engine. Anything below that your good
Sponsored