Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Just took delivery of my manual yesterday. This is my first Wrangler and I just wanted a manual. Love it so far

D71E5C9C-1465-4590-A56A-4C17649178BB.jpeg

89019D68-93C8-44A4-A08F-61961E4231C8.jpeg
Much congrats Flic, she’s beauty.
Sponsored

kez229

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S 4Dr
I just purchased my first Jeep ever. It is a 2020 4 door JLU with manual transmission. I have always love driving manuals, but they are so hard to find anymore. The dealership I bought this from sold 15 Wranglers in August and FCA sent them one with a manual transmission. I scooped it up in a hurry! I just feel more in control with a manual!

Sergio671980

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Got my 2019 JLU about a month ago...
Went manual and do note feel one bit of regret.
Have owned 6 jeeps in total and all were manual.
Just love manual jeeps thats all i guess.
I did have a jlu auto as a liner wile they replaced my hartop at the dealer for a defect and hated those few days, felt so bored driving it.. even the wife tought it was boaring getting behind the wheel of the auto lol..

15688935611272116014657009675026.jpg

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Every Muscle car I have owned has always been a stick and I have had the luck of finding a few rare models with sticks. My first car, a 1984 Aero Trans-Am was a factory five speed stick, my second a 1987 Fiero GT was a five speed stick and my 1991 Z/28 Convertible was a factory five speed stick as well. The 3rd gen f-Body were tough to find a stick but I managed to do it twice. My 2016 Challenger has a six speed. I bought it in April of 2017 because it was a left over from the previous year. The dropped $5000 off the price of it and gave me a heck of a deal on my trade. The salesman said we haven't been able to get anyone to even look at that car because it's a manual transmission. I was think, well, it's their loss. I will always own a car with a a third pedal in it as long as I can get one.

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door
Been driving a manual vehicle of some kind since 1982. Last time I drove an automatic I was lost. I had to sit there and think about it before even starting the thing, and I kept going for the clutch and reaching down when driving. I admit autos are nice in stop and go traffic, but I still prefer my stick.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I go wheeling with a few guys who have manuals. We hit some pretty hard trails with rock gardens and gullies. I call them "chatter boxes" because the trannies/clutches are constantly chattering as they work them climbing over obstacles, not to mention stalling. You couldn't pay me enough to get one in a Jeep. Now in any other car I'm game! But rock crawling in a Jeep with stick is no fun IMO.
In a manual it's all about gearing. A stock Rubicon has enough gearing to idle right up the side of a building till it rolls back on it's roof. You can get exactly the wheel speed you want without the jerkiness of an auto as your engine revs up before the converter finally engages. Plus, have fun riding your brakes down a steep decline, I can hold about 1 mph with my feet off the pedals down anything until my tires lose grip

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The new 8-spd auto does exactly the same thing in (M)-but

It won't kill the engine !

W.E.

JIMBO

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The auto is amazing, but just like a manual, mistakes can be made. The hill descent control works exceptionally well, unless the driver forgets to engage it, along with forgetting to manually grab the right gear. On a steep descent at Hell's Revenge, a good friend forgot to engage HDC and came barelling down. Fortunately, I had my rear view camera on (Thanks to TazerJL) and was watching and saw it coming, so I was able to move over a little. He was also able to steer just enough to the left to miss me.

Similar things can happen with a manual, so it really isn't an auto vs. manual thing I'm saying. It is just that the auto can only do its job if the driver puts it in the correct mode, which really isn't that different from the manual, when it comes to descending a hill.

On the topic of mistakes, in my YJ, years ago, on a VERY muddy and slick hill, I put it in low range, 1st gear when I should have been in a taller gear to allow the wheels to turn just a little faster. So with the wheels behaving as if locked up, I slid right into a tree, rubbing off my right front fender. Doh!

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It was hard to find a base model sport with the 6 speed. I’m glad I held out for the manual. I make the decisions on gear selection. Period.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
It was hard to find a base model sport with the 6 speed. I’m glad I held out for the manual. I make the decisions on gear selection. Period.
Agreed, I had to take a train to a bus to an Uber to go 2 states and 4 hours away to find one, especially in a color that I wanted.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I love feeling that I am in control of my vehicle. I have a 2019 2 door sport manual transmission.

I've been driving a standard since I was 16 years old and have had one on and off throughout my life.

But I love driving it because it reminds me of my first car....a 1965 VW Beetle.

The small flat windshield, the "feel" of the jeep compared to the bug, the stick....I love it!

I've owned eight 4 wheel vehicles and 4 have been standards....And I have no regrets getting it with a manual transmission....:clap:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What do you guys makes of this thread?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/

My 2018 2dr Rubi (one of the very first 2drs off the line) has almost 30,000 miles on it and I have had ZERO issues. My clutch has never squeaked, it’s not too soft, it doesn’t feel dead near the floor, the gears don’t grind, the power band is exactly as I’d expect it to be for a Rubicon; in short, it’s been perfect. (For what it’s worth, my steering is also perfect and I passed the weld recall inspection.)

With many thousands of manuals on the road I expect a handful of issues reported to the NHTSA, and so I’m not worried about my Jeep going up in flames. Even so, damn... pretty scary stuff for those unlucky soles!

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
What do you guys makes of this thread?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/

My 2018 2dr Rubi (one of the very first 2drs off the line) has almost 30,000 miles on it and I have had ZERO issues. My clutch has never squeaked, it’s not too soft, it doesn’t feel dead near the floor, the gears don’t grind, the power band is exactly as I’d expect it to be for a Rubicon; in short, it’s been perfect. (For what it’s worth, my steering is also perfect and I passed the weld recall inspection.)

With many thousands of manuals on the road I expect a handful of issues reported to the NHTSA, and so I’m not worried about my Jeep going up in flames. Even so, damn... pretty scary stuff for those unlucky soles!
Yea ...I read that too but like you.. so far no issues

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I love feeling that I am in control of my vehicle. I have a 2019 2 door sport manual transmission.

I've been driving a standard since I was 16 years old and have had one on and off throughout my life.
The best cars I have owned have been manuals. A 66 vw beetle

But I love driving it because it reminds me of my first car....a 1965 VW Beetle, 1986 CJ7 and a 2015 Focus ST ( FBO ).

The small flat windshield, the "feel" of the jeep compared to the bug, the stick....I love it!

I've owned eight 4 wheel vehicles and 4 have been standards....And I have no regrets getting it with a manual transmission....:clap:
Agreed, I had to take a train to a bus to an Uber to go 2 states and 4 hours away to find one, especially in a color that I wanted.
all of my favorite cars have been manual. 1966 vw beetle, 1986 CJ 7 and 2014 Focus ST.
I planed my wrangler purchase as my last new car purchase. I had to have the manual. I will drive this Jeep till I die.
Sponsored