The clutch gang!

JohnnyG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Suzuki GV, various performance 65-70 mopars
Is that a sickspeed? I’m wanting to replace my stock knob as the “chrome” part is peeling. Wish I could find a skull 😂 or something more exciting.
Knob is from Speed Dawg, mounted on aftermarket B&M shifter. Believe they make a kit that will mount round knobs on the stock shifter. The B&M has a standard threaded attachment which allows round knobs of virtually any type to be mounted although they generally are custom with a recessed base to account for the reverse lockout. There are various makers of custom knobs out there. I've seen sculls. If you want to freak out your passengers you can get a big bloodshot eyeball. You just have to do your homework to make 100% sure it will fit.
Sponsored

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my mt 22 JLUR in September. I've been driving manuals for more than 20 years and really do enjoy them. Ironically, the only automatic I've ever been able to tolerate is in my current dd, a Lexus GX470. Everything about that vehicle was designed to feel buttery smooth including the drivetrain.
I gotta say @Apples491, your taste in Jeeps, colors and transmission is impeccable.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Not sure if I've replied here.
We have a 21 JLR manual. We like it because we've always had a manual somewhere in our vehicle choices. A few have been pretty bad. This one is great, shifts smoothly, a low enough 1st gear and living here on Maui I've used 6th only a few times, most of our speed limits are 45 or lower. My wife has always liked a manual transmission.
Yes, I know automatics are very good these days, that's not the point for us, we just like it. Our 18 Colorado ZR2 has an 8 speed auto and it's great.
Once we went to a local restaurant that has valet parking. They had to go get a fellow that understands a manual to park the Jeep. They loved it and talked to us when we retrieved our Jeep.
We like our JLR 6 speed.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'll admit, I jump back and forth from my nv3500 swapped Ram to my JL. Reverse is on opposite corners, clutch is super light with long engagement on my Ram but stiff and short on my JL, takes me a few miles to get smooth again in my JL after driving my Ram all week. Most embarrassing however is probably that I'm always going for the pedal parking brake and lower left release, hitting air before remembering it's a handbrake 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I go back and forth JK to JL. Haven't had an issue except the JL goes into reverse much easier than the JK. Of course, the JK's transmission is more like that of a dump truck. But I still love it. But the JL is MUCH sweeter to drive.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Not sure if I've replied here.
We have a 21 JLR manual. We like it because we've always had a manual somewhere in our vehicle choices. A few have been pretty bad. This one is great, shifts smoothly, a low enough 1st gear and living here on Maui I've used 6th only a few times, most of our speed limits are 45 or lower. My wife has always liked a manual transmission.
Yes, I know automatics are very good these days, that's not the point for us, we just like it. Our 18 Colorado ZR2 has an 8 speed auto and it's great.
Once we went to a local restaurant that has valet parking. They had to go get a fellow that understands a manual to park the Jeep. They loved it and talked to us when we retrieved our Jeep.
We like our JLR 6 speed.
A real (JL!) Rubicon!

Sponsored

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
My first Jeep (99 TL) was what I learned to drive stick on and back then it was far superior to the old 3 speed transmission. Later in its life I swapped in a V8 and an automatic and hated it. It wasn't fun on or offroad. That was the biggest mistake I made during its entire build. My last 3 Jeeps have all been stick and its just better to me. The connection with the vehicle is satisfying.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Speaking of V8’s. If I could afford to swap in a 5.7 or 6.4 in my JL 6-speed…………

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Anybody on the forum running a Tremec TR-4050 5sp manual behind a Gen3 hemi ???

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
No new members in our clutch gang? :crying:
Soon, my JLUR should be on the train from Toledo. I had a sport altitude for about 4 months (totaled), I loved the MT, I even used 6th gear occasionally. Can't wait to row some gears, the 4.10's should be even better.

Last edited:

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Anybody on the forum running a Tremec TR-4050 5sp manual behind a Gen3 hemi ???
Hi,

From 03 or 04 to 05 you could get a NV4500 in a 3/4 ton Dodge truck and in 06 thru 08 a 6 speed G56 Getrag.

The current JL 6 speed won't bolt up to a Hemi let alone deal with the power level

Regards,
Jim

Sponsored

ac320

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys
Knob is from Speed Dawg, mounted on aftermarket B&M shifter. Believe they make a kit that will mount round knobs on the stock shifter. The B&M has a standard threaded attachment which allows round knobs of virtually any type to be mounted although they generally are custom with a recessed base to account for the reverse lockout. There are various makers of custom knobs out there. I've seen sculls. If you want to freak out your passengers you can get a big bloodshot eyeball. You just have to do your homework to make 100% sure it will fit.
How do you like the B&M shifter? I'm considering for my manual and wanted to get some feedback. Thanks.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
If all you could get in a Wrangler was an automatic there's no way they would have my money. I put in a retro shifter ball to remind me of my vintage machines.
B&M yellow 6.JPG

temp 04.jpg
I was 18 when I bought my first Jeep. I drilled out an 8-ball and epoxy glued it to the stick. Cheesy maybe, but it always felt better driving it after that.

You have me thinking maybe it's time to consider a new shifter for the JL, though this time I won't use glue 😆

JohnnyG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Suzuki GV, various performance 65-70 mopars
How do you like the B&M shifter? I'm considering for my manual and wanted to get some feedback. Thanks.
Definitely an improvement over the original. Has shorter throws & more direct feel. There's nothing terribly wrong with the stock shifter though, it's a judgement call if you want to spend $330.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Something fun for the kids.
It raised the height of the shifter, which was great. The center console is a bit too high for the stock shifter.

Jeep Wrangler JL The clutch gang! 1675387437533