First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I would be curious was to the age of the guys who have the manual jeeps and if they are a daily driver.
I'm about to turn 50. The Jeep is my daily driver. I spend most of my waking hours driving an automatic 13-speed Mack, and it's kind of fun rowing gears after I log out for the day. My other vehicle is an old Ford that has twin sticks, one four-speed and one overdrive. Manual transmissions do suck in stop and go traffic, and they suck in drive through lines. Still, I like both vehicles. I wouldn't put an automatic in either one of them if I could.

Also, someone else pointed out how smoothly the Jeep shifts, and I want to echo that. The old T-18 in the truck is a beast to shift. I keep taking it apart to mess around with the shifter guide pin thing, and my fix never lasts long, and I go back to playing Where's Third? Rrrrr! Not there! GRRRRrrrrrRRRRT! Not there either! The clutch is kind of a bitch too. Almost like a big truck. In comparison, the Jeep is more like a sports car. The clutch action itself is weird and hard to get used to, but it's light, tight, and smooth shifting. Almost eerily so, considering the T-18 is also a classic Jeep transmission.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Interesting comments on why to have a stick. My current daily driver since 2012 has a 5 speed manual transmission, manual roll up windows and no AC.

Sure I tolerate it and will run the wheels off it. After over 45 years of manual transmissions I'm no longer a fan of them . Very cool that some off you are still enjoying them though.

Hell I even converted my Beta with a Rekluse and LHRB to make my off road experience more enjoyable.

I believe that rowing gears for 18 years for 12 hour shifts a day in daily stop and go traffic has cured me of the allure and joy of it.

Of course it is really cool that Wranglers have the manual and it's not even an option!! And being it's the cheaper base model choice makes it attractive to a lot of buyers.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I'm about to turn 50. The Jeep is my daily driver. I spend most of my waking hours driving an automatic 13-speed Mack, and it's kind of fun rowing gears after I log out for the day. My other vehicle is an old Ford that has twin sticks, one four-speed and one overdrive. Manual transmissions do suck in stop and go traffic, and they suck in drive through lines. Still, I like both vehicles. I wouldn't put an automatic in either one of them if I could.

Also, someone else pointed out how smoothly the Jeep shifts, and I want to echo that. The old T-18 in the truck is a beast to shift. I keep taking it apart to mess around with the shifter guide pin thing, and my fix never lasts long, and I go back to playing Where's Third? Rrrrr! Not there! GRRRRrrrrrRRRRT! Not there either! The clutch is kind of a bitch too. Almost like a big truck. In comparison, the Jeep is more like a sports car. The clutch action itself is weird and hard to get used to, but it's light, tight, and smooth shifting. Almost eerily so, considering the T-18 is also a classic Jeep transmission.
One of my life rules is not to go through a drive through - whether in an automatic or in a manual.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
One of my life rules is not to go through a drive through - whether in an automatic or in a manual.
I hadn't been through one in years, and then they closed all the dining rooms. Many of the dining rooms are still closed. Many of the ones that are technically open have weird hours. I don't eat out much anyway, but when I do, it usually involves a drive through.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I hadn't been through one in years, and then they closed all the dining rooms. Many of the dining rooms are still closed. Many of the ones that are technically open have weird hours. I don't eat out much anyway, but when I do, it usually involves a drive through.
Yeah, I understand in those situations. Fortunately in Las Vegas, even though dining inside was closed for a few months, pick up from the counter was still available in most restaurants.

JeepAtLast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 64 FI Vette
Occupation
Service Writer
Love my Sticked JL! I (We - wife & I) had only three requirements, must be a stick (me) or it wouldn't be a real jeep, collision warning (her) and color to be blue or white (us). 2 out of 3 was ok. We got Granite Crystal Grey. Learned to drive in a stick most of my vehicles were a stick, both of my boys were taught and drive a stick. Plus it is a millennial theft deterrent, unless they tow it! ;-)

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So I’m thinking of ordering a 2 door Rubicon in the next month or two. I don’t think my wife will object to that, but I have to admit I’m a little nervous about saying I want a manual. Any tips for hesitant spouses? She’s never driven a manual, but for me, it’s a deal breaker to not row my own gears.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
So I’m thinking of ordering a 2 door Rubicon in the next month or two. I don’t think my wife will object to that, but I have to admit I’m a little nervous about saying I want a manual. Any tips for hesitant spouses? She’s never driven a manual, but for me, it’s a deal breaker to not row my own gears.
Saving of $2000 with a manual shift.
Theft proof as young drivers don't know how to drive it.

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Saving of $2000 with a manual shift.
Theft proof as young drivers don't know how to drive it.
Nice, I like that. I hadn’t thought about a stick as an anti-theft strategy, but it’s true, isn’t it? We actually have a friend who had his wrangler stolen, but it was an auto. Okay, so price and theft. That’ll get me some points in the manual column I think.

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Love seeing the revival of this thread with new s
Nice, I like that. I hadn’t thought about a stick as an anti-theft strategy, but it’s true, isn’t it? We actually have a friend who had his wrangler stolen, but it was an auto. Okay, so price and theft. That’ll get me some points in the manual column I think.
My sales guy told me that 18% of society can drive a stick, and therefore it’s a great theft deterrent. I had not thought of that and was happy for one more reason it made sense to me.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
if i remember right with 35" tires FCA recommends 4.88 on the manual transmission. this was digussed with the XR package and the manual transmission. they gave the 8speed auto 4.56 and the manuals are to get 4.88 ratios.
It's the first I've ever heard anyone mention the possibility of 4.88 gears on any factory Jeep build. I did some digging to try to confirm your memory, and I found nothing either way.

I spent some time playing around with Grimm Jeeper's calculator, and comparing my experiences stock to my experiences on 35s and 4.56 gears. I think this combination is probably about as good as it's ever going to get. If I want to see how I would be doing on 4.88 gears in 6th gear, looking at what I'm currently doing in 5th gear is close enough.

They might do it, but I'm thinking not. My prediction is the XR editions will use 4.56 gears regardless of the transmission. I would save the lower gears for 37s, but of course I sank $2,000 into my 4.56 gears, so I am invested in supporting the idea that I chose wisely.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
When we picked up the 2dr Willys, the salesman was a young kid (20 or so). He started to take the Jeep with my wife in the passenger seat over to fill it with gas. He got it going, but when first gear was done, he couldn't seem to figure out the clutch/shifter and we coasted for a while with the engine revved, and him searching for second gear. The wife switched places with him and drove it to the station. Now I've inherited the 2 dr after trading the JLURD and love shifting again.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

It's the first I've ever heard anyone mention the possibility of 4.88 gears on any factory Jeep build. I did some digging to try to confirm your memory, and I found nothing either way.

I spent some time playing around with Grimm Jeeper's calculator, and comparing my experiences stock to my experiences on 35s and 4.56 gears. I think this combination is probably about as good as it's ever going to get. If I want to see how I would be doing on 4.88 gears in 6th gear, looking at what I'm currently doing in 5th gear is close enough.

They might do it, but I'm thinking not. My prediction is the XR editions will use 4.56 gears regardless of the transmission. I would save the lower gears for 37s, but of course I sank $2,000 into my 4.56 gears, so I am invested in supporting the idea that I chose wisely.
Did a quick check and they did update it from the last time I looked into this. It’s now 4.56 from the factory for both the auto and the manual but the option for 4.88 is on the build Sheet for 2022 as well now
Sponsored