DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I also did Fins & Things recently (end of Sept.). Man, what an awesome trail! Surreal, even. I was very happy with how my Rubi 2-door MT performed, especially crawling in 1st. Gravity took over in a few spots, but I never felt out of control. I only aired down to 25 psi, so I still had some wheel chirping here and there, but I didn't think it was necessary to air down further.

For anyone interested, I put together some random clips from Fins & Things (not necessarily in order because we had multiple cameras):

Also did lots of other trails in the Moab area over a few days, if anyone needs any beta or suggestions.
Here you go! Kenny's Hill! My 13 year old holds his breath until the top. Listen carefully and you can hear my 7 year old say, "I told you that wasn't scary." Lol! What a blast. I can't get back there soon enough!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, 5 days of Rimrocker, Fins, Elephant Hill, Hell's Revenge, and others, and the verdict on the 6 speed....Awesome!

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Hello everybody! I've got a sport unlimited with a M/T in white that i'm really enjoying so far. Have about 1k miles on it and its just getting better as i go. First jeep i've owned and also first manual(besides motorcycles) but i'm really liking it, except for when i get caught in stop and go traffic in Chicago.
Welcome. It is refreshing to hear that someone gets a manual for the first time.
I’m in Peoria, IL so no worries with traffic here, although I go to Chicago often.
Reach out if you need any help or advice.

intheaspens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the ability to use the engine for braking, and I like to feel that I'm in control of the vehicle (probably a pipe dream with all the electronics in today's cars!). These days I like the idea that most little punks won't steal a manual because they can't figure out how to make it go! ;-D

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like the ability to use the engine for braking, and I like to feel that I'm in control of the vehicle (probably a pipe dream with all the electronics in today's cars!). These days I like the idea that most little punks won't steal a manual because they can't figure out how to make it go! ;-D
Funny you mention that! On the downhill side of the first obstacle, the big hill going into Hell's Revenge, One of my friends with a JK forgot to engage the hill descent control on his auto transmission equipped Jeep. I saw him barrelling down the hill in my rear view mirror and camera. I mean he was coming down fast. I accelerated to be sure to give him room. I asked if he was ok and he said he was freewheeling and it scared the crap out of him. It scared me pretty good, too, but would have been worse if I didn't mistakenly think he had forgotten it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the auto. That hill descent control is VERY good. In a manual, you can just as easily grab the wrong gear. Fortunately, I've not done that yet. (I hope the yet part of it stays permanent.) That said, I do think it would be easy to forget to hit that button.

Sponsored

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
So we get a car jacking in progress this week in the city- 5 teen offenders ordered a pizza delivery guy out of his car at gunpoint. The kicker..it was a manual tranny and they made it half a block and bailed out because they couldnt drive a manual! Anti-theft device right there! Thought you guys would appreciate the story.

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
Ordered My 2 Door Rubi 6 speed Manual for a few reasons Bump / Start... ya that's a thing kids.../no overheating / connection / engine braking /lower crawl ratio/ simple / cheaper/ cooler/ my JK was auto and was fine with the 3.73 gears but often felt disconnected when driving/wheeling etc. I also like to hold onto lower gears often at their power curve going into and out of corners and such!

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
So we get a car jacking in progress this week in the city- 5 teen offenders ordered a pizza delivery guy out of his car at gunpoint. The kicker..it was a manual tranny and they made it half a block and bailed out because they couldnt drive a manual! Anti-theft device right there! Thought you guys would appreciate the story.
How true. Pretty soon MT will be the best security system with playstation generation

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Pretty much a lifelong manual transmission driver here. I love my JL's 6-speed; it's so light and responsive! Also early posters with the mechanical watches: I'm there too! I'm a huge vintage Seiko fan.
Have you checked out the Seiko spring drives? Best of both worlds :like:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I drove my son to work this morning. It was 18 degrees. On my way home, after the drive train was warmed up completely, I accelerated from a stop gently, then at about 5mph mashed the gas. The pavement was dry. The rear tires broke loose for a second, surprising me. This V6 and transmission just puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. This thing is just so much fun! Love it!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been driving MT’s since I was 14 years old. My father said at a very young age that I’d better learn.

We lived in a family owned house on 30+ acres in North Carolina, so I was put behind the wheel and been addicted to the clutch ever since.

I even taught my wife how to drive an MT and I’ll be teaching my children as well. Their first vehicles will all be MT’s (I have 4 children).

While I really believe society for some reason is fazing MT’s out we are still holding on! I love my 18’ JLU Sport 6MT and wouldn’t have it any other way!

Chinarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 JLU Rubicon,
I drove my son to work this morning. It was 18 degrees. On my way home, after the drive train was warmed up completely, I accelerated from a stop gently, then at about 5mph mashed the gas. The pavement was dry. The rear tires broke loose for a second, surprising me. This V6 and transmission just puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. This thing is just so much fun! Love it!
So true. I’m also finding the more I drive it, the more I like it, especially now seeing what it can do, after a long break-in period during which I really babied it. I still don’t push it (as a matter of habit) but have found it can come damn near a total stop in first, and still launch you with some authority when you mash the gas in first & second, while giving you a controlled & sporty ride throughout the range. Still not sure what all those early negative reviews were all about.

I’ve heard great things about the auto-8, but for those of us with the skills & experience the 6-speed/V6 combo really makes this Jeep come alive.

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
i am loving my manual. this is my 3rd Wrangler...all manuals. Mine is in the shop, though probably for another week or so. First gear needs replacing they said??. I thought it was tires, Got a set of Toyo's and kept hearing a noise which sounds like cheap mud tires. So I swapped those out for some ridge grapplers and still kept hearing it. I figured out it was happening in neutral, either clutch in or out. Took it in and found out first gear and some bearings are going out. So...I should have her back in a few days. I miss her.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
i am loving my manual. this is my 3rd Wrangler...all manuals. Mine is in the shop, though probably for another week or so. First gear needs replacing they said??. I thought it was tires, Got a set of Toyo's and kept hearing a noise which sounds like cheap mud tires. So I swapped those out for some ridge grapplers and still kept hearing it. I figured out it was happening in neutral, either clutch in or out. Took it in and found out first gear and some bearings are going out. So...I should have her back in a few days. I miss her.
That’s unfortunate and very rare. Hope you get back rolling soon.
Sponsored