First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Measured today. Jeep sitting on the ground at 30'ish PSI measure 40.75-41".
Just a heads up, the correct way to measure tires is horizontally at trail pressure. This takes all the variables out like vehicle weight, front vs. rear…
Sponsored

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Just a heads up, the correct way to measure tires is horizontally at trail pressure. This takes all the variables out like vehicle weight, front vs. rear…
Serious question - why would I do that? I'd think since it spends most of its time on the road I'd want the transmission to work with on road pressure size of tire. I'm gonna be running only a couple PSI offroad.

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Update on the Jeep. Still trying to figure out what's killing the battery. Last 1.5 weeks the battery has been dead 3 times. It's only sitting for 2-3 days at a time and it usually doesn't have juice enough to even open the door with the fob button. Testing RSE steps and Tazer...been fun

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Serious question - why would I do that? I'd think since it spends most of its time on the road I'd want the transmission to work with on road pressure size of tire. I'm gonna be running only a couple PSI offroad.
Good point. Two different cases.

Most of the time when someone asks if a tire runs true to size or what the diameter is they want to know if it will fit their rig and if not what it will take to fit them. This is where the “horizontal at trail pressure” is the meaningful measurement. Fun fact, this is also how mud boggers determine which class you run in (but they use a caliper to check).

Second case is calibrating your transmission/speedometer. For this you measure the loaded radius of the rear tire and multiply by two. I confess this doesn’t make much sense to me because the entire circumference of the tire is larger than this, but hey, this is what people smarter than me say to do.

You will note that neither of these is the same thing you get by measuring vertically to the top of the tire. Sure, it’s super easy to do but also meaningless…

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Update on the Jeep. Still trying to figure out what's killing the battery. Last 1.5 weeks the battery has been dead 3 times. It's only sitting for 2-3 days at a time and it usually doesn't have juice enough to even open the door with the fob button. Testing RSE steps and Tazer...been fun
Is anything wired directly to the battery positive? If so, disconnect them one at a time to see if that’s the problem. If so you can install a relay controlled by something that’s only hot after the doors are opened…

Sponsored

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Is anything wired directly to the battery positive? If so, disconnect them one at a time to see if that’s the problem. If so you can install a relay controlled by something that’s only hot after the doors are opened…

The things straight to the battery are RSE steps, ARB compressor, SPOD. There's also the Tazer which I've noticed the Jeeps radio cycling from my window without me or anything else close to it. I pulled the fuse for the RSE as they said there could be a short in a circuit board of motor that is pulling a constant draw. I've also read there's a taser firmware version that drains batteries lol.

The winch is also directly to the battery.

I'm focused on the RSE and steps because they were the only things electronically that changed during the suspension and axle install but I guess I could be something else as I drove it every day. The battery takes about 2-4 days to die now which I don't remember it sitting for that long before.

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Believe we found the problem. Its definitely the steps. Voltmeter shows with kill switch off (meaning the steps should be functioning) we are getting 12.3 V. With Kill switch on (meaning the steps aren't working) we are still getting 12.3 V. With the kill switch on (meaning the steps shouldn't be working) and the fuse pulled, we are getting 2V.

Called RSE this morning and told them what we did. They said its "nearly" impossible to get any juice if the fuse is out - which we were getting yesterday. So they are sending me new circuit boards. This will be the 3-4 time I've had to drop these steps for issues and it is not a fun process.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Wanted to see what it looked like with the hard top on so decided last night was the night.

Looks great! Now time to put the soft top back on and half doors to see what that setup looks like :)

Btw - with the hard top it ALMOST fits in the garage. Theres a smalll decorative lip on the garage frame that may be coming down.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Blacksmith Crew -  Project _DNA  Diesel JLUR DNAhardtopfit

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Went in for some items that were not completed at first.

Hood damage
Fender damage
Ebrake cables
Air chuck in the rear
Blind spot and rear sensor issues after oracle light and bumper updates
Diff service

Next venture skids hopefully show up soon so I can get out in the Jeep.

893EE266-0D10-46FA-8675-8FD28A4E430E.jpeg

Dark Eternal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392
Have any detailed pics of how the coilovers and lower control arms mount to the rear axle? I know the RK kit moves the control arm mount, which the coilover mounts to with the recon kit… just curious to what solution they fabbed up, I’ll be doing the same combo most likely.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Have any detailed pics of how the coilovers and lower control arms mount to the rear axle? I know the RK kit moves the control arm mount, which the coilover mounts to with the recon kit… just curious to what solution they fabbed up, I’ll be doing the same combo most likely.
Yep, I'll get you some once it's back. Its in the body shop having a hood repair because of a neighbors tree decided to shed a branch and may be a couple weeks for them to fit me in for skid install.

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Went back to Rebel after the body shop to get next veture skids installed. Found a piece missing so they are trying to get NV to overnight the piece. Sometimes I forget I have a jeep haha. Pretty sure the RSE steps with new motors are still causing battery draw problems....probably the biggest regret is getting RSE steps over this build and last.

4D93BDCE-590C-472B-829C-F2579B49D4D2.jpeg

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
The saga continues. Body shop put the JK rubicon stickers on and not the JL correct ones. Passenger side fender now is damaged. Coming home I got a Christmas tree lighted dash and turbo control module performance engine code. Cleared it and it hasn't happened again after unplugging the Idash - Idash was acting funky when it happened.

decided to switch out the white fogs and a pillar lights with amber and love the look.

it'll all get sorted out but this thing has been a project just getting everything right.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Blacksmith Crew -  Project _DNA  Diesel JLUR B0164BB5-D6E7-4758-9FC7-0405FC3C6F87

Jeep Wrangler JL The Blacksmith Crew -  Project _DNA  Diesel JLUR 72923988-BB67-4CA8-ACFC-DCE647E860A1

Last edited:
OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Finally got the decals on the Jeep. Next will be putting the 3.0 diesel hood decal on.

6A0E0C9C-E119-4444-97DF-B2CE0F509D6F.jpeg

OP
OP

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Some small items done. Switched the Baja design lights to Amber. Added a speed flate system and air chuck in the rear. Back to the soft top for summer. Did some maintenance and got some good looks at how awesome the new skids are.

CD262823-2FE4-4062-8B09-797B62A9CC84.jpeg

DA914E11-6A02-44B6-ABCB-89FFAA6A2CE6.jpeg

5BC8990C-1D47-48F4-B438-74DE88A030BE.jpeg

19797241-9CA5-4DC8-BE7F-821F79EA166B.jpeg

F43E5FE0-85FB-46B7-8C39-DAF596C7250B.jpeg
Sponsored