JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
We had to make a decision on which vehicle to take for our trip driving the Pacific Coast Highway for Thanksgiving after purchasing a JLR 4 weeks ago. So thankful that we chose the Wrangler instead of the Charger. Most unmarked Vista Points are dirt with large holes and bumps, which can be managed in a car with care, but not easily like a wrangler. In a car, you are always just stuck in a line of cars behind another motor home, wishing you could pass. In a Wrangler you are able to take different roads and get much better views.

20181124_121041.jpg

20181124_145218.jpg

20181124_152141.jpg

20181124_145405.jpg

20181125_134518.jpg
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I don't understand Justin. You own a Wrangler and you had to make a …..decision?;)

Before I even saw your pictures of off road purpose, as legitimate as they are, I just thought about the open air capabilities of the rig.

(Somebody should start a company that rents Wranglers for this purpose.)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
We had to make a decision on which vehicle to take for our trip driving the Pacific Coast Highway for Thanksgiving after purchasing a JLR 4 weeks ago. So thankful that we chose the Wrangler instead of the Charger. Most unmarked Vista Points are dirt with large holes and bumps, which can be managed in a car with care, but not easily like a wrangler. In a car, you are always just stuck in a line of cars behind another motor home, wishing you could pass. In a Wrangler you are able to take different roads and get much better views.

20181124_121041.jpg

20181124_145218.jpg

20181124_152141.jpg

20181124_145405.jpg

20181125_134518.jpg
Spectacular!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Last month when we found ourselves (unexpectedly) in need of a new vehicle, I had 2 vehicles on my bucket list. A Mustang GT and a Rubicon. While the Mustang would have been far cheaper, the Rubi opens up a whole other world of adventure. It makes every drive an adventure (even commuting!) and I no longer have any vehicles on my bucket list. Plan to drive the Jeep until the wheels fall off (and I hear you can put 'em right back on if they do!).

Great post! Great pics! We'll be doing the coast next year from So Cal to Monterey and the Jeep will likely be topless the whole way (or at least with the front panels removed).

snowren24

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2007 Acura TL-S, 2013 Triumph Street Triple
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I've been thinking about doing this trip all wrong. I have wanted to travel out to CA to do that drive but for a long time I was thinking I would wait until I "needed" a new motorcycle and I would buy one up North and then drive it down the PCH and ship it back to Ohio at the end of the week.

Then I started thinking that I could do the same with renting a sports car some day.

Maybe I should just ship my Jeep out to Washington and drive all the way down to San Diego..

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Maybe I've been thinking about doing this trip all wrong. I have wanted to travel out to CA to do that drive but for a long time I was thinking I would wait until I "needed" a new motorcycle and I would buy one up North and then drive it down the PCH and ship it back to Ohio at the end of the week.

Then I started thinking that I could do the same with renting a sports car some day.

Maybe I should just ship my Jeep out to Washington and drive all the way down to San Diego..
Note to self. Company that rents Wranglers on West Coast needs to also provide ability to get customer's Wrangler to and from West coast on car carrier.;)

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I see this is an old thread but will still comment. Coming from corvettes over 20 years and going to my Jl Sport I think it is the best sports car to drive the coast. We are planning to do just that once all the COVID-19 pandemic crap is under control starting from our home at 6200 feet elevation in Castle Rock CO and starting the coastal drive from my birthplace in Redondo Beach CA to Cannon Beach OR. My 2 door sport with the back seat folded forward has far more luggage room than any corvette or other sports car I've owned. MPG highway is decent for a long road trip too. Not the best in heavy wind but WTH, who cares. Fun to drive, open air when you want it, and no worries when the pavement ends.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Best Sports Car To Drive The Coast Of California Is A Wrangler Sept 20 Jeep 100_5074.JPG

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I drove the Z06 convertible from Santa Barbara to Santa Monica and back last weekend on the PCH, helping a friend by a used 2020 Subarau. What a wonderful drive. I took the Sahara with the doors off and roof open up the 101 on the coast to Santa Ynez to help a friend fix the headlight on the 2008 FJ Cruiser I sold him! Super fun!

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer

I know this is a zombie thread, but have done the good parts of PCH with an old 911 and a motorcycle (bmw gs). Totally different experiences on the exact same terrain. The prime part of PCH is close to us atm, we were going to do it in the JL a few weeks back but also want to do it later in the year - less tourists. Since we moved further north were only about 2 hours from Ragged point so we can loop it in a day.

there are plenty of bad parts of pch as well. While traffic is down these days, anywhere south of Malibu isnt particularly compelling unless youve never been to LA and want to look around while stuck at stoplights.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Jeep Wrangler JL The Best Sports Car To Drive The Coast Of California Is A Wrangler MVIMG_20190126_113645

Jeep Wrangler JL The Best Sports Car To Drive The Coast Of California Is A Wrangler MVIMG_20190126_113645

Funny you mention this. This past Saturday morning I was climbing into my Jeep after coming out of Starbuck. I'm about to pull off and this dude in a convertible 911 deliberately pulls up next to me all smiles. We proceed to talk there in the parking lot for about 30 min. He wanted know all about the different models and said he's thinking about getting one..lol This actually brings me to another question about car swapping which I will post on another thread.
Sponsored